Hot!New Poll re: Tipping

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/23 16:50:34 (permalink)
tusti

This whole business about the Orientals etc. reminded me of a funny line in the movie "The Great Raboski".
It had to do with the condition of this guy's rug and it goes something like this...."but you don't understand, the Chinaman peed on my rug." Then Raboski says ...."dude, Chinaman is not the proper nomenclature."

Okay now all you PC types don't rag on me...it was a funny line from a funny movie.

That doesn't make it any less ignorant!!!

There is a reason you can't find the Verizon commercial from about a year ago online anywhere. The Italian family's barbecue? Um, no. Offensive. Just because something keeps happening doesn't mean it ever was, or is, acceptable.
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1297
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/27 12:54:43 (permalink)
Scorereader
In 2010, the term "Oriental," when referring to people, is a slur.

To all: Why is it a slur?

The reason why I am asking is that I am sick and tired of a lot of words which were never slurs suddenly being redefined as slurs by a few people writing letters out of their parents' basement. The idea is that if they are victims, then somebody else must be a victimizer, and the victimizer therefore has to compensate the victims in some way, shape or form. In some cases a whole phony etymology is developed for a word (notable examples are woman, history, handicapped, niggardly) in order to turn a non-slur into a slur.

I recall a television movie back in the 70's about a guy who was freed from a South American prison after 17 years. He is released to the American embassy, and greeted by a group led by a man clearly of sub-Saharan African descent.  The freed man asks an attache, "When am I going to meet the ambassador. Referring to the leader of the group, the attache says, "That is the ambassador." The freed man says, "What do you know, a colored ambassador." The attache replies, "You mean a BLACK ambassador.", to which the freed man responds, angrily, "What are you, a bigot or something?"

(edited to correct a speling eror)
post edited by bartl - 2010/03/28 11:49:51
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/27 15:56:43 (permalink)
bartl

Scorereader

The reason why I am asking is that I am sick and tired of a lot of words which were never slurs suddenly being redefined as slurs by a few people writing letters out of their parents' basement.

I agree. This political correctness thing has gotten way out of hand. The whole population is walking around on eggshells, scared that they might step on someone's toes. I'm half Irish and I've heard jokes about the drunken Irish all my life; they don't bother me a bit. I think people in this country need to develop a thicker skin and learn how to laugh at themselves.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6345
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/27 16:33:24 (permalink)
We have a neighborhood in Minneapolis in the northeast quadrant of the city. It is often referred to as Nordeast historically and affectionately with pride by everyone including the promoters of the neighborhood because that was the pronunciation of the immigrants of the area 100 years ago. Today someone writes a letter to the editor to the Minneapolis Star Tribune objecting to that use. Go figure. Uffdah!
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/27 17:18:34 (permalink)
A close friend of mine has a Chinese wife, born and raised in China. She couldn't give two shi*s about the Oriental/Asian debate. And neither do I.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 09:18:09 (permalink)
Carolina Bob

bartl

Scorereader

The reason why I am asking is that I am sick and tired of a lot of words which were never slurs suddenly being redefined as slurs by a few people writing letters out of their parents' basement.

I agree. This political correctness thing has gotten way out of hand. The whole population is walking around on eggshells, scared that they might step on someone's toes.

Well, bartl: it's been a derrogatory term for a long time. In the 80s, when I was in public school, I knew not to use the term when referring to people from China or Japan, etc.
Bob: funny, I don't feel that way at all. I can be pretty flippant and off the cuff with my words. I sometimes spontaneously make crude jokes and tell off-color stories - ALL when appropriate. I know my crowd. For example, I keep it professional at work, but let it fly when hanging out with friends at the pub. However through all of that, I don't use slurs. And, I seem to know when it's appropriate to have fun and laugh. No eggshell walking from me. I think it's pretty clear here that I'm a bold person and step on toes a lot when I feel I need to (just ask Tony and Al), but I'm also sensitive just enough to know that derrogatory terminology is generally not appropriate, even when kidding and cavorting.

But, even if one is to use such terminolgy, you have to know your crowd. And here, on this site, it's simply not ok. And anyone who doesn't know that, it either ignorant or a rotter. Ignorance is fixable.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 09:26:35 (permalink)
I am lost - I thought this thread is about tipping...
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 09:35:53 (permalink)
Scorereader:
I find it interesting that the person who first told me, back in 1983, that I should use the word Asian was also from Washington, DC. In elementary school, we used the 'o' term all the time, including the teachers. Do you know why the change? It seems a lot of people here also do not know why we should use the word Asian.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 09:38:57 (permalink)
BTW - maybe we need a new thread. this is supposed to be about tipping.

Delivery tipping - did we hit thta? I'm never sure about %.

What kills me, is one pizza place that we normally order from is usually ok, but every now and then I get a cold pizza. Now, I don't know it's cold until we open the box up (because the bottom of the box felt warm). But, by this point, the tip is already been given. Do I tip less the next time? Just complain on their website? Call the pizza place at the time of the infraction?

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 10:12:45 (permalink)
Scorereader, I'm certainly not advocating or justifying the use of ethnic or racial slurs. I'm just trying to make the point that, in the last decade or so , Americans have gotten so overly sensitive on the subject of ethnic origins that they're no longer able to laugh at themselves, and I really feel that we all need to lighten up a little.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 10:26:01 (permalink)
Tipping pizza delivery persons, especially if they use their own vehicle to deliver it, is a complicated subject. I understand they depend upon tips since their pay is so low. I usually tip 15%.
post edited by David_NYC - 2010/03/29 10:34:36
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 10:48:58 (permalink)
Carolina Bob

Scorereader, I'm certainly not advocating or justifying the use of ethnic or racial slurs. I'm just trying to make the point that, in the last decade or so , Americans have gotten so overly sensitive on the subject of ethnic origins that they're no longer able to laugh at themselves, and I really feel that we all need to lighten up a little.

oh, I'd say it's been going on longer than just 10 years. I remember making a similar comment as yours some 15 years ago, or more!

Believe me, I can joke. I always make fun of my French/Irish heritage and the small wee wee it leaves a person with. Or comments like: "wine or beer? depends on who's invading my country."

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 10:54:01 (permalink)
Now we are into small weewees?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 10:55:49 (permalink)
What do you normally tip at a buffet restaurant?
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 11:24:40 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

What do you normally tip at a buffet restaurant?

I don't normally do the smorgasborg type of eating, but, if I do go to a buffet, I tip 15% pre-tax, unless we've been ordering drinks and keeping our waitstaff busy in that way. Then my usual 20% would be about right. In that case, they're being as attentive as any other place.

DavidNYC: I've been doing 15% recently. I used to only do 10% on pizza, but started upping to 15% the last few years because I was feeling like I was being cheap. Most guys are using their own car - and while they do get mileage pay and what not, they're still using, and beating on (in city driving) their cars - I feel the extra 5% is warranted - except when I open my box and it's cold - meaning, I was the last one on the route. Nothing worse than waiting an hour for food and it arrives cold, and then I have to heat it up in the oven. arrrggh!

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 11:31:33 (permalink)
If you have to heat it up preheat the oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone placed inside the oven, on the middle rack, and then put the slices  on the stone for 4 minutes or so .. the slices will taste just like they came out of the pizza oven!
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2010/03/29 11:33:19
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 12:03:01 (permalink)
yeah, but I hate doing when I've order pizza for delivery. I never have to heat up my Orien Chinese food - it's always piping hot.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 12:20:28 (permalink)
Chinese food is always warmer because of the smaller containers it is packed in - pizza comes in big boxes with too much air to stay hot for long.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 13:03:45 (permalink)
I thought the oven bags were supposed to help that.

Wasn't it Domino's that pioneered using "oven bags" sometime in the early 80s?

That was a good thing, but I blame Dominos for bringing the Buffalo wing to the rest of the country, where it was then copied and ruined by those to whom the wing was unfamiliar. Domino's did little to help the situation. The first wings in the 80s we had from Dominos were good. Just like all the other CNY/WNY pizza and wing shops. Later though, eeeccchhh, they became standardized shells of themselves. Leading to even more confusion as to what a wing was supposed to be.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 18:52:20 (permalink)
Carolina Bob

I can only speak for me, but I don't think it's being overly sensitive so much as, "Yeah, you know what, I'm not putting up with that anymore."   Also, it can be hard to tell if it's meant in good clean fun or not. After all, clean fun would steer clear of such things, correct? It's a puzzlement for sure.

Delivery: I always ALWAYS tip $3-$7. Depends on what the bill is & if they showed up when they said they were going to & didn't mess up the order. One time they came without one entree. No big deal you say? Well, it was a big deal to the person who is now gonna go hungry for lunch. We work in an area that is adjacent (but not close to) a lot of fast food places, but it would take your whole lunch break to get anywhere & back due to traffic. Which is why we ordered out, etc etc etc.

Buffet: Not usually. The one we go to, you can put your own dishes into a bin over by the counter, so no. Since I am bussing my own dishes, no tip. Usually when I pay though, I stick a little cash in the tip jar, so I guess I do tip, just not in the traditional 'leave-the-money-on-the-table" sense.

My cousin goes to school not far from here. He didn't grow up in America & HATES the American way of tipping. Where he grew up 10% is standard, they make a decent enough wage without it, I guess. The part he hates is that he never knows how much to tip. I finally told him 15-20% depending on the service, and delivery people at least 3 bucks.
bartl
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 22:21:40 (permalink)
Scorereader Well, bartl: it's been a derrogatory term for a long time. In the 80s, when I was in public school, I knew not to use the term when referring to people from China or Japan, etc.

Why? Can you give a reference where it has been used as a derogatory term?

It is from the Latin word meaning "rising", as Occidental comes from the Latin word meaning "setting". Meaning coming from the direction of the rising sun, or the East. Now, those who think that Eurocentric terminology is somehow wrong may have a case, but remember it is an English word, and, from the point of view of England, Eastern Asia was and is in the east. And, by the way, "Asian" comes from Greek roots meaning much the same thing. For those who claim that "Oriental" should refer to objects and not people, feel free to present the etymological proof.
bartl
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 22:27:16 (permalink)
Scorereader Delivery tipping - did we hit thta? I'm never sure about %.

I always give about 15% on delivery rounded up to the next dollar. It's not that much, and the deliverer remembers you. At one point, during a period of unemployment, I was doing deliveries for tips partially to make a few extra bucks, partially as a favor to a friend who ran the restaurant who was temporarily short a delivery person. I went to people who gave me $3 on a $50 order where I had to travel 3 miles, and people who gave me $10 on a $10 order where I had to travel 3 blocks. I get a feeling that the people who know what it means to earn a dollar through manual labor are the best tippers. Strangely enough, my parents are a bit hypocritical about this; they say tip 10%, but I have never seen them tip less than 15%.

post edited by bartl - 2010/03/29 22:35:55
bartl
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 22:31:38 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut What do you normally tip at a buffet restaurant?

20% rounded up to the next dollar. And, if there's a sushi bar, $1 per person eating sushi (in one restaurant, I typically tip the sushi maker $2 for my wife and me although she has no tip jar. I go there about every 3-4 months, but she always remembers me and puts out the ikura when she sees me. Go figure).

I know that waitstaff in a buffet get more basic hourly than in other restaurants, but when I'm at a buffet, I go through a LOT of plates, and I want them to remember me fondly. It also helps, in Chinese buffets, to have someone in your group who speaks Mandarin (Cantonese used to be better, but Mandarin is a bit more universal).

bartl
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/29 22:33:54 (permalink)
Scorereader Later though, eeeccchhh, they became standardized shells of themselves. Leading to even more confusion as to what a wing was supposed to be.

You mean they serve something other than the part of the chicken that flaps?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled conversation...

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/30 09:03:01 (permalink)
Scorereader

Carolina Bob

oh, I'd say it's been going on longer than just 10 years. I remember making a similar comment as yours some 15 years ago, or more!

Believe me, I can joke. I always make fun of my French/Irish heritage and the small wee wee it leaves a person with. Or comments like: "wine or beer? depends on who's invading my country."

For a guy with a "small wee wee" you sure do get into some big time peeing matches.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/30 09:20:30 (permalink)
joerogo

Scorereader

Carolina Bob

For a guy with a "small wee wee" you sure do get into some big time peeing matches.

I say I joke about it, I didn't say it was true. More of a making fun of the heritage thing.

Beside.EVEN if it were true, look at Napolean. He was small, you KNOw he HAD to be small in all parts, yet...

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/30 09:47:13 (permalink)
If you are ever in Pittston, and someone is waving their pinky finger at you, this is a bigger insult than any other finger.  At least for a guy

Example:  Hey Napoleon!!!

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/30 10:14:53 (permalink)
bartl

Scorereader Delivery tipping - did we hit thta? I'm never sure about %.

I always give about 15% on delivery rounded up to the next dollar. It's not that much, and the deliverer remembers you.

no, they don't. Not here. Unless one orders a lot, it's rare to get the same driver. We order pizza or italian food from the same italian restaurant/pizza place that has a sit down restaurant in addition to their delivery, 2-4 times per month (almost once per week). We've never seen the same guy. They have a dozen drivers. If the same guy goes to my place more than a couple times per year, I'd be surprised. They don't know me - they don't act like I'm some sort of regular. A pub in our neighborhood where we go almost once per week, knows who we are. The pizza delivery? no. not so much. If I saw the same driver, I might tip more, but otherwise, I can put the extra buck to good use as much as the next guy. Still, though, I'm on a 15% kick right now and I probably won't move back down to 10%.

bartl feel free to present the etymological proof.

I'm seriously hoping this aspect of the "tipping" thread dies out completely. But I must say, hanging your hat on the roots of a word to prove it's benign is wholly false as a presumption. The "n" word didn't start as a perjorative word. Neither did lots of "curse" or "cuss" words, like "f**k." But, since you've asked, read encarta:  http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?lextype=3&search=oriental

bartlYou mean they serve something other than the part of the chicken that flaps?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled conversation... 

When my mother made us "buffalo" wings - we just called them, wings. There was but one way to serve "the part of the chicken that flaps." If one wasn't serving them as wings, then they were used for stock. They were cheap. (Unlike today - wing prices are out of control IMO)

Today, if one says "wings" outside of WNY, you have no idea what you're going to get. Teriyaki, honey bbq, honey garlic, and gosh knows what. Even "hot wings" don't necessarily mean buffalo wings. I even have a tough time writing the word "buffalo,"  but if I don't, people will get confused.

For me, there are but three types of wings - hot, medium or mild. All are made with Franks Red Hot Sauce and butter - the heat depends on the amount of tobasco sauce added to the sauce pot. I can got through the proper ratios if you wish.

While it seems redundant to me, I don't get upset when people say "buffalo wings," because then we're at least seemingly all on the same page.

But I get a little put-off when someone says they make great buffalo wings and they start to talk about garlic or hot pepper flakes or some other flavor "added." Those may be chicken wings, but they're certainly not buffalo wings. Sure, they're technically "chicken wings" because they use "the part of the chicken that flaps," but lets not confuse them with buffalo wings.

As per Domino's and their involvement in the destruction of wings: they started finding cheaper suppliers, so the sauce began to fail and so went the wings. But, I'm certain there are people in this country today, who use Dominos as the standard for wings, and base their judgement on wings from there. Mostly because Domino's wings may have been the only wings in their area for some time - hence, the distinction. No blame, or anything, just the situation. So, this is like someone from Oklahoma telling a New Yorker how to rate pizza.  That's not to say there isn't good pizza in Oklahoma. Maybe there is. But more to the point, the average Oklahoman probably uses chain pizza as the measuring stick (actually, I'm sometimes surprised by my own NY friends who do the same and they should know better). For the most part, in NYC region - Domino's ain't the measuring stick for pizza. In CNY and WNY, Domino's ain't the measuring stick for wings, either.

so, while the chicken part may be the same, wings aren't always wings.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/30 10:18:28 (permalink)
Joe, you're too funny!!!

One has to wonder if there were sports cars in Napoleon's day, would he have still tried to take over Europe, or just buy a ton of muscle cars?

Speedymike
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2013/06/23 19:55:19 (permalink)
How come I never came across you guys. If I got 10% from every customer, I will be delighted.  always got 1-2 NO TIP customer per shift. I really dont know why.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1