Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
2010/02/24 09:00:41 (permalink)

New Poll re: Tipping

Wow.
Who are you people that think a 10% tip is in way acceptable?
Do you still think it's 1932 and a shiny new dime is an appropriate reward for services rendered?

I hope the "less than 15% tip" people won't be at the Roadfood Festival. How embarrassing to represent Roadfood.com in such a poor way (no pun intended). 15% is STANDARD - as in: the least amount you tip. And, more often lately, it's 18%. 

(I know there's a difference for tipping/non-tipping for bad service, but the poll says "on average")

124 Replies Related Threads

Gene's Dogs
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 719
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 09:10:26 (permalink)
    i tip 10% because that's all i can count.  it keeps me from eating out much
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3741
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 09:17:31 (permalink)
    When I have been with cheapskates that use any excuse not to tip or to tip poorly  or to think that  10% is plenty for good service, I take note of it and make sure that I never go out with them again.

I always tip 20 % of the entire bill, including wine and tip which means that I tip a little over 20%.  ( By the way, I know many people that carefully subtract out the wine portion of their bill and tip inly 5% for beverage service!)
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 943
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 09:25:26 (permalink)
    I don't get subtracting out the beverages, myself. Why?

Also, I know I tip more because I tip off the bottom line...when I know a lot of ppl that tip off what the amount is before tax.

Can't stand people that figure out, to the PENNY, what the tip is. Just round up and be done with it! 
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 09:59:01 (permalink)
    At an Indian buffet (usually the only ones I will frequent), if my dirty plates get removed if I go back for more and my water glass is refilled, it's still 20%. Like X1, I try to refrain from dining with less than generous tippers.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 10:39:20 (permalink)
    20% of the total, rounded up to make the bill the next even amount. So if the bill is $53.22, the tip is $11.78, and I try to pay in cash.

My feeling is that the difference on most tabs is less than a buck; it's pocket change, really. But servers know how to do the math. To ME, a good tip means the difference between tossing 18 cents or 88 cents on the nightstand; to the server, it means they got a good tip. It improves that person's attitude, it might turn their day around. It might make the next customer get better service. It's a way of paying into the world that adds a whole lot more value than its actual cost to me.

Now, if I get bad service? That rarely happens, but if it does, I slavishly tip 15% to the penny, before tax. And it has to be the fault of the server (indifferent attitude), not the kitchen. If I get a bad attitude server, I'll just up and ask them, why the bad attitude? After the meal, of course.
    post edited by Mosca - 2010/02/24 10:40:36
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 10:42:05 (permalink)
    At the Ruth's Chris in Atlantic City, we had a waiter with a really snotty attitude... for that meal, I let my brother in law the engineer handle the tip. As the moths flew from his wallet, I knew I'd made the right choice.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 10:49:03 (permalink)
    Unless the service is truly lousy, I never tip less than 15%, and usually it's more like 20%. Many years ago, I made my living providing room service to sleeping car passengers aboard long distance trains ( try carrying a full tray at 75 mph... it's fun! ) and I haven't forgotten what a miserable, often thankless profession being a server is. It still amazes me how many times I was stiffed by people who obviously could afford a decent tip, as those sleeping car accomodations are quite pricey. 
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 11:07:36 (permalink)
    I don't get you people that think you should tip 15-20% even if the service is pathetic. I nearly always tip 20%.... even if the service is just decent... but if it's pathetic or comes with an attitude I'm not above dropping pocket change to reflect my appreciation.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 11:29:22 (permalink)
    a few things: "Standard" does not mean minimum. It means, the standard tip for standard service. Meaning poor service gets less, above normal gets above normal.

However, yes, it seems people were tipping more during the run of good economy we had - to the point that 20% was the standard. However, with the economy where it is now, I do see people tipping closer to the 15%. I don't consider them to be cheapskates.

Restauranteurs cannot get mad at this. They should be glad people are getting out.

Last night, I had a fantastic meal at relatively new neighborhood joint. A small cozy place in a changing neighborhood. The tiny restaurant sits among a couple gentrifying neighborhoods, but still racked with drugs and violence. The food is southern and nothing short of spectacular. Last night I had the meatloaf BBQ sandwich. Two thick cut slices of savory meatloaf with some bbq gravy served open faced, but can be put together and eaten with hands - barely. Instead of fries, he let me get the collard greens as my side. My friend and I sat at the bar and the bartender was super friendly. His service was excellent, his drink pours were generous. 3 Jack and diets ($8) and the sandwich (4), which was fantastic, came to $32. We were at the bar for a about two hours - I left him $40.

Why an $8 tip? Two reasons, his service was excellent, and I really want this place to survive. I will also be going back again and as often as we can, there is much on the menu I want to try.

Langston Bar and Grille:
    http://langstonbar.com/

Maybe not the best example, since there are times when a 15% tip is mandated and sometimes when less than 15% is mandated. Although, to be honest, if it appears that things have gone sour and a low tip is coming, I will usually try to talk with the manager and let them know that things aren't working out. But, honestly, that is a very rare occurance. Most places will at least give you standard service.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 11:32:52 (permalink)
    BR

I don't get you people that think you should tip 15-20% even if the service is pathetic. I nearly always tip 20%.... even if the service is just decent... but if it's pathetic or comes with an attitude I'm not above dropping pocket change to reflect my appreciation.

Different person, different choice. It's not as if I'm taking your money for my tips, or asking you to do as I do. I don't get that you should even care.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 12:12:57 (permalink)
    Scorereader, Thanks for posting the link to Langston's. It sounds wonderful. 
    Because I'm a food professional, I probably overtip. I very seldom ever leave less than 20%. If the service is really bad, I'll leave 15%. I don't recall the last time I left under 15%. Maybe when I was 14 and thought I was leaving a proper amount. Once when I was serving, 2 other servers called in sick. I was slammed in a big way and know that the diners weren't getting good service from me that day. I apologized to each and every one of them. Only 1 table left me less than 18%. That was the end of my front of the house days. Serving is just too hard, and often, too thankless. I admire good servers more than I can say!

eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 682
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 12:40:43 (permalink)
    Mosca20% of the total, rounded up to make the bill the next even amount. So if the bill is $53.22, the tip is $11.78, and I try to pay in cash......
    Like you, I tend to tip 20% and more if deserved.

I'm a little confused on your $53.22  -  $11.78 example.  Twenty percent of 53.22 is 10.64 (in Excel anyway).  What I normally do to make it easy for me is just round 53.22 to 54 and double the 10% (5.40) to 10.80 and then round up to an even dollar.  I'd leave $65 for the $53.22 tab.

When (unavoidably) out with cheap co-workers, I'll often go back to tip extra to make up for cheap losers (IMO).

post edited by eruby - 2010/02/24 19:29:57
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 12:44:50 (permalink)
    Usually tip 15% rounded up if two or more people.  If I'm by myself I usually tip around 20%.  If its mostly happy-hour specials I try to tip based on the regular prices.

We eat a lot at authentic Chinese places.  They love us there since their Chinese customers tip very little.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3567
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 12:47:58 (permalink)
    I suck at math, which means for standard service I tip 20% because figuring 10% twice and rounding to the nearest dollar is easy.   For exceptional service, I'll go as high as 30%.  Or, in the case of my visit to the Biloxi area shortly after Katrina, everywhere I found that was open I often tipped 50%, because I figured they needed it more than me...but that was definitely a special circumstance.

Now, for places I go all the time (the majority of my restaurant/bar spending the last couple of years), my tip varies depending on my  income and they know that.  I might tip very poorly or not at all one day, but the next time I'm in I'll put down 40% or more.  It all works out in my mind, while my regular servers always end up getting more than they do from most people.

The only times I have left less than 20% except somewhere I am a regular are when the service was awful, and then it is 10% (see...it's that math thing again!).  And I don't just leave a bad tip, I explain as I hand it to my server (if I can find them) WHY the tip is bad.  If I cannot find the server, I leave the tip with their manager, and explain at that time why the tip is bad.  I like to think that makes a difference, but I may be delusional.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 12:55:13 (permalink)
    my typical pre-tax 20% rounded to nearest quarter.

I don't care that the bill comes to .xx cents. I feel strange leaving someone an extra 22 cents just to make my bill come to an even dollar amount.

so, bill = $50.00, plus 10% DC tax, that's 55 dollars, I leave a $10 tip.

bill = $28.95, plus 10% DC tax = $31.85, I leave $6 tip for a total of 37.85.  (That's 2.90 x 2 - or $5.80 rounded up to the nearest quarter, half dollar or dollar depending on circumstance).
    I don't leave $6.15 because it's an odd looking tip.

Plus, when using credit card, what do I care if there's change involved?  Living in DC, and violently mugged a couple years ago, I never carry enough cash to pay for dinner. I carry $5 cash at all times for safety. It's enough for a metro ride to anywhere, and enough to give a mugger without taking a beating for having nothing. When I got mugged, the experience cost me $60 cash, a doctor's visit, an ugly face for a week and sore body for a month.

stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 13:34:41 (permalink)
    Gene's Dogs

i tip 10% because that's all i can count.  it keeps me from eating out much

If you double this, there is your 20%.

15 is for if the service was bad. 4 busboys/waiter-types standing around chatting while my water glass is empty? Taking 20 minutes in between bringing drinks & asking if we are ready to order? No.

Otherwise it's 20, especially if it's a place I want to go back to. I've been known to go back & leave more dollars on the table when dining out with friends who like to be stingy with the tip. Waiting on 8 women isn't easy, and I can tell whether it's the waitperson or my friends.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 13:45:18 (permalink)
    Scorereader

my typical pre-tax 20% rounded to nearest quarter.

I don't care that the bill comes to .xx cents. I feel strange leaving someone an extra 22 cents just to make my bill come to an even dollar amount.

It's cause I try to pay cash, and don't want to deal with the change. If I'm using a credit card, I just make it 20% rounded up to the next $; in my example above, I'd tip $11.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 14:12:37 (permalink)
    Well, yeah, I did say I use credit card. Like you, when using cash, I don't like leaving with a pocket full of change - so there would be the appearance of an odd .xx cents tip. But, I rarely use cash when dining out  for reasons expressed.

I see that my 22 cents comment might have appeared to have been aimed at you directly. But it wasn't. The number was arbitrary, but I think it was arbitrary by way of osmosis - you said 11.22 and my mind remembered it. It's a good number - who wants 22 cents floating in the bellows of one's pocket? two thin dimes and two itty pennies - it almost mixes in with the pocket fuzz. When I get too many dimes or nickles sitting in my pocket it's time for a diet coke out of the machine (normally I don't buy sodas at work anymore -trying to save a buck or two - joined the water club for my liquids)

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 14:46:54 (permalink)
    zataar

Because I'm a food professional, I probably overtip.

My first "real" job was as a busboy and I learned very quickly how important tips are to the waitstaff, and it's reflected in the tipping habits I have now.  As well as a decent percentage I try to never leave less than $2 or $3 even if it calculates as exorbitant.

Brad
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 14:54:36 (permalink)
    Scorereader

Well, yeah, I did say I use credit card. Like you, when using cash, I don't like leaving with a pocket full of change - so there would be the appearance of an odd .xx cents tip. But, I rarely use cash when dining out  for reasons expressed.

I see that my 22 cents comment might have appeared to have been aimed at you directly. But it wasn't. The number was arbitrary, but I think it was arbitrary by way of osmosis - you said 11.22 and my mind remembered it. It's a good number - who wants 22 cents floating in the bellows of one's pocket? two thin dimes and two itty pennies - it almost mixes in with the pocket fuzz. When I get too many dimes or nickles sitting in my pocket it's time for a diet coke out of the machine (normally I don't buy sodas at work anymore -trying to save a buck or two - joined the water club for my liquids)

We're good, I understood. I try to not use credit cards in unfamiliar places because of the stories of cc# theft. I try to use cash in familiar places because I know the servers get dinged a straight %, and they get the cash tips right away.

To each his or her own, we make it work and hope for the best.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 14:56:00 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson

zataar

Because I'm a food professional, I probably overtip.

My first "real" job was as a busboy and I learned very quickly how important tips are to the waitstaff, and it's reflected in the tipping habits I have now.  As well as a decent percentage I try to never leave less than $2 or $3 even if it calculates as exorbitant.

Brad

Good point. For my dad, the magic number is $5; to him, it's worth a fiver to not have to get the food and wash the dishes.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 15:20:42 (permalink)
    oh, minimums are a must. A cup of joe and a croissant at a diner in VA is less than $4, I leave a $2 tip. - three if I've had more than one refill on the joe.

And if we linger in a booth too long (usually because we've ordered a bottle of wine and are sipping it and talking (or as my wife says "connecting") the tip goes up. I know the server is losing money if we're hanging around and don't give a little extra for taking the extra lingering time we're taking to "connect." S/He could've been serving the next customer.

Mosca - when I'm going to a place where I'm a regular and feel comfortable, I do bring extra cash for cash tip - same with my barber and the pizza delivery guy. They do appreciate the cash tip rather than the credit card tip. And, when eating out with a group and there's one tab, I pay totally in cash and prepare for that. Since I'm arriving and leaving with group in familiar setting I don't have a problem walking around with the cash.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 15:38:18 (permalink)
    Mosca, would I love to hear the answers you get to your "bad attitude" question? ... yes! Maybe you could start a thread? :~)
    Joe
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 16:06:13 (permalink)
    Scorereader
      - joined the water club for my liquids

Water club?

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1070
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 16:23:18 (permalink)
    20% is my standard tip -- more if I'm dining alone and the service is OK.  Of course "singletons" are less profitable no matter what their gender, but I also think there's a perception that women are cheap and lousy tippers and don't justify taking up space in a restaurant, so I try to do my bit to prove that perception wrong.

When I'm traveling alone on business,  I try to go to restaurants at the start of the dining hour, and often call ahead to make a reservation and ask what's the best time to come.  I had a great meal at a restaurant in Oklahoma City that way -- and I made a point of being friendly to the manager and waitstaff, explaining that I was from out of town, that the place had been highly recommended, that I really looked forward to the experience, etc.  They gave me a nice table, and attentive service.   I praised every course (justifiably -- the food was good) and tipped well.   I  may never have occasion to return, but I hope I left a good impression.  I certainly had a pleasant experience!

I only stiffed a waitperson once.  It was in 1979, on the  upper westside of Manhattan, while I was studying for the NY bar exam.  I went early for dinner (by NY standards, about 6 p.m.) with another woman friend, and the place was empty.  The food was OK, but the service was just abysmal. The waitress was rude, and had no interest in taking our orders, bringing our food, or anything else. I paid the bill in cash, to the exact penny.  

We probably should have walked out , but it didn't make sense at the time (I don't recall why) or said something to the manager, but there was none in sight.

I still feel a bit guilty about it, but really -- the service was horrible, and for no reason that I could see. 

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 16:27:29 (permalink)
    water club: Deer Park guy comes, drops off water. A group of people pool $ together for the service. If you're in the pool, you can have the water. If you're not in the pool, you don't get the water. The gov't doesn't pay for the watercooler water.

Although, I think we use Crystal Springs rather than Deer Park.

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 16:32:52 (permalink)
    You've got to get in to get out.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3008
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 16:56:25 (permalink)
    I'm in the 20% club...unless dining with buffetbuster.  In that case, checks get very large very fast and there is always the danger arising from silverware in motion!  Extra is then in order!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 17:32:48 (permalink)
    20 percenter here. If service was above and beyond the call of duty, I'll toss in commensurate extra bills, seldom less than fivers. I've never been a server, but I do know what a'holes some of the general public can be, so I try to distance myself from that crowd via my personal interaction with servers, as well as tipping.

I also tip at "fastraunts", which are the places where you order and pay at the counter and they bring you your food and coffee/drink refills.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1