Hot!New Que Contender?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5098
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/17 22:59:14 (permalink)
Jim, I'm happy you have a top rated BBQ in McKinney now.

However, I feel bad for the folks who live in an area that only have a Dickey's or a Sonny Bryan's for BBQ.

Also, I have heard good things about Rudy's.
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 08:29:47 (permalink)
When we still lived and worked in Austin, the Rudy's out on 360 was our go to lunch place...always tasty, fast and good.  The one up on 183 wasn't too shaby either when I stopped in there.
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1121
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 08:42:05 (permalink)
With Rudy's it seems to be hit or miss. I work about a half block from the one on 183 in Austin and can count on the fingers of both hands how many times I've been there. My problem with them is that they slice their brisket so thin you can read the paper through a slice. I like a substantial slice like you get at Smitty's or Black's and now at Stile's Switch. (I refuse to spend hours in line at Franklin's). Now the Rudy's that just opened on IH35 in Round Rock is a bit better when it comes to slicing brisket. Bottom line, a can of Alpo beats Dickie's BBQ.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4237
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 09:45:02 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Oh, we had a Tony Roma's in Columbus about 20 years ago. It lasted for about 18 months. It was really awful. It was located at the end of a strip shopping center and there was no place for anything around it that could produce smoke.

True.  And the only smoke you'll small around a Dickey's is truck exhaust.  I'm not calling Dickey's "good" for BBQ any more than I call Outback "good" for steak; they just "are what they are" - a helluva lot better than fast food or some other fast casual joints.

The first Tony Roma's I ever heard of was on Wisconsin Ave in NW D.C.  It opened to great fanfare as its ownership was fronted by several "DC Legends" - Sugar Ray Leonard and Sonny Jurgensen as I recall.  It didn't even last a year.  They blamed the failure on a 'bad location', which, if one is familiar with that area - arguably the restaurant capital of the Mid-Atlantic - was a hilarious claim.

The first one I ate at was in Orlando; it was wonderful and a "must stop" on every visit.  So was the one in San Juan.  The last two I patronized in Georgetown, Grand Cayman and Scottsdale were truly excreable.  I see by their website that those locations no longer exist.  For some reason they seem to be a big hit in the Middle East; as their specialty is baby back pork ribs that is kind of hard to figure.
brisketboy
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 10:09:29 (permalink)
I've only ever eaten at the one in Honolulu and from what I remember it was quite unspectacular. 
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 10:57:23 (permalink)
I highly suspect Dicky's BBQ is like that of Applebees, Fridays, Ruby Tuesday...  where the meat is food-factory processed and cooked, vacu-sealed, shipped, and then reheated and sauced for order.  Very common these days at the big chain restaurants.  More Corp. control over product, less work in-store.  Considered a win-win for everyone except the few true BBQ lovers.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 11:36:40 (permalink)
We had a Tony Roma's in Dallas during the 70's. I loved their baby back ribs. We used to go about 1-2 times a month. And then, poof! They were gone. There were rumors the chain was "mob run". Has anyone else heard anything to that rumor?
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1027
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 11:43:05 (permalink)
I'd go to Tony Roma's in the Seattle area every once in a while. Not bad, not great, but consistent.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 12:11:59 (permalink)
Never tried Dickey's. They do have a cookbook out as I saw it at the library.
There is a Rudy's out in Selma near me,and I also have my choice of Bill Miller's BBQ in Schertz and Universal City.They are all over San Antonio and a local chain.Or I can go to Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo which is not a chain, or try Manny O's BBQ in Universal City which has gotten good reviews in the San Antonio Express News. I can also go to Home of Da Smoke in Adkins,which I still want to try, or Texas Pride BBQ in the same area out side of San Antonio.Also have Davila's in Seguin and Cooper's, McBee's and Granzin's in New Braunfels. Granzin's has a meat market.They had that before any bbq place,market's been in NB for heaven knows how long.
Rudy;s started in Leon Springs ,Texas which is right off Interstate 10 as you head north of San Antonio. There is also an old two story stage stop and hotel that was owned by the Nimitz family,before they moved to Fredricksburg,where the famous admiral, Chester A.Nimitz was born. Was a restaurant, don't know what it is now.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4091
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 16:21:31 (permalink)
HollyDolly

There is a Rudy's out in Selma near me,and I also have my choice of Bill Miller's BBQ in Schertz and Universal City.They are all over San Antonio and a local chain.Or I can go to Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo which is not a chain, or try Manny O's BBQ in Universal City which has gotten good reviews in the San Antonio Express News. I can also go to Home of Da Smoke in Adkins,which I still want to try, or Texas Pride BBQ in the same area out side of San Antonio.Also have Davila's in Seguin and Cooper's, McBee's and Granzin's in New Braunfels. Granzin's has a meat market.They had that before any bbq place,market's been in NB for heaven knows how long.
Rudy;s started in Leon Springs ,Texas which is right off Interstate 10 as you head north of San Antonio. There is also an old two story stage stop and hotel that was owned by the Nimitz family,before they moved to Fredricksburg,where the famous admiral, Chester A.Nimitz was born. Was a restaurant, don't know what it is now.

If you are out driving one day, try Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, right off I-10. You can definitely smell the smoke-----their smoker is a barrel type offset about 20 feet long!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 535
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 19:16:30 (permalink)
SeamusD

I'd go to Tony Roma's in the Seattle area every once in a while. Not bad, not great, but consistent.

We had one by us a few years ago, and it wasn't bad. They had a chicken dish I liked and they did good cheesesticks.

Then one day it just closed even though it was pretty crowded all the time. A place called Butterbee's open in its spot, which serves about the same type of food and is just OK.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/18 20:48:39 (permalink)
Another thing we used to order and enjoy at Tony Roma's while they were open in Dallas was their "onion loaf". It was pretty good, too. But then again, what isn't good when it's fried.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/19 09:15:16 (permalink)
Twinwillow

Another thing we used to order and enjoy at Tony Roma's while they were open in Dallas was their "onion loaf". It was pretty good, too. But then again, what isn't good when it's fried.

EXCEPTION:
When the onion loaf is luke-warm and dripping rancid oil - like the one I had in Scottsdale in August, 2003 - "fried ain't good".  In that case it was truly excreable.  That was the last time I patronized a Tony Roma's.  My stomach still turns at the thought of it.  At least it was "memorable"!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/07/19 09:39:11 (permalink)
WarToad

I highly suspect Dicky's BBQ is like that of Applebees, Fridays, Ruby Tuesday...  where the meat is food-factory processed and cooked, vacu-sealed, shipped, and then reheated and sauced for order.  Very common these days at the big chain restaurants.  More Corp. control over product, less work in-store.  Considered a win-win for everyone except the few true BBQ lovers.

YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!

That explains why I have noticed vacuum-packed briskets still sweating from the steamer in the serving line!  It also explains why their sides are everywhere the same.

As Dickey's has metastasized nation-wide ( http://www.dickeys.com/locations/default.php ) the 'central kitchen' explains a lot.

Say what you want about their quality, they are remarkably consistent.  They serve "BBQ" at the same level as McDonald's serves "burgers".  And in so doing they do serve both a purpose and a considerable market segment. 

As they say, "You can't argue with $ucce$$"!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/09/13 13:19:42 (permalink)
Mrs. Metro and I had "the Dickey's experience" Wednesday.  We had a "2 entrees for 1 if you buy drinks" coupon; the total came to $13.

After a tasty lunch - which includes two sides - we had enough take-home for 1 light dinner and 2 more lunches. 

They have a nice (to borrow a phrase from the old Rog Rogers') "fixins bar":  real bacon bits, sour cream, butter, pickles, onions, peppers, sauces, etc. and "free" soft serve ice cream from which I make myself a very generous root beer float.

The bottom line here is that we get more decent food here for $13 than any other place I can think of.  And, the food quality and quantity beats the pants off any fast food joint! 

And again, the BBQ isn't "bad" any more than an Outback steak is (truly) "bad" when compared to Peter Luger's; it's just not as good. 

We recently had a $50 lunch at (Iron Chef winner) Tim Love's new BBQ place in Ft. Worth.  It was wonderful!  By comparison, Dickey's is merely decent but they deliver a huge "bang for the $BUCK$". 
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/09/13 15:35:32 (permalink)
Ranks right up there with Famous Daves....awful.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/09/13 17:22:41 (permalink)
myterry2

Ranks right up there with Famous Daves....awful.

I'll take either over their real competition for a quick, filling lunch for a reasonable buck:  Burger King, Wendy's, & McDonalds.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2726
Re:New Que Contender? 2013/09/14 11:36:34 (permalink)
Dickey's opened in Pewaukee last month. Pie Diva and I stopped there after getting a blast of smoke while driving on the other side of the boulevard.

We ordered brisket and hot links to go, and I was impressed with the job the worker did in trimming and slicing our brisket.  The brisket was moist, smoky, tender, and flavorful.  It was better than most brisket I have judged in KCBS BBQ contests.

I prefer the hot links I smoke to the spicy-cheese sausage they serve, but their sausage was pretty good.

This store has nothing to apologize for.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4276
Re:New Que Contender? 2014/02/12 19:47:21 (permalink)
Got reminded of this thread as I was driving home from my annual physical this afternoon.  Dickey's just opened up in a mall not far from my doctor's office.  I'd been fasting since last night, so I thought I'd give 'em a try.

Ordered a "Westerner", a combo sandwich of two meats.  The Wednesday special included Pulled Pork and Sausage, so that's what I got.  It was serviceable 'Que.  Decent flavor and texture, but nothing I'd go out of my way for. I was taken by surprise when the sandwich arrived with a couple of slices of cheese on top.  Is cheese a common ingredient in Texas 'Que?

The special included two sides; I chose the Baked Potato Casserole and the BBQ Beans.  The casserole ws made with real potatoes, although not the best mashers I've ever had.  They were a little over mashed and gluey, but tasted okay.  The beans were nothing special, but a shot of Texas Pete gave them a little spark.

My meal reminded me of an old joke told by Harry Truman:

A guy is walking down a rural road when he sees his neighbor's stableman sitting on a fence drinking from a bottle of whiskey.
The guy says, "Howdy Bill, where'd you get that fine lookin' bottle of whiskey?"
"The boss gave it to me as a birthday gift," says Bill.
"How's it tastin?" asks the first man.
"Well," says the stableman, "I reckon it's just about right."
"How so?"
"Well, if it was any better the boss wouldn'ta give it to me, and if it was any worse I wouldn't be drinkin' it."

That's Dickey's BBQ.

All in all, I won't be making any plans to return to Dickey's, but if I'm hungry enough, driving down a long enough stretch of interstate, and Dickey's presents itself without any other "real" Roadfood options nearby, I will happily stop in for some corporate 'Que.

Just hold the cheese, please.

Buddy
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
Re:New Que Contender? 2014/02/16 21:20:53 (permalink)
Good to know, Dickey's just opened up in my neck of the woods. Was a bit curious. Tried a few other BBQ spots here in town and their menu items were all hit and miss (some items good while other items not so much) Think i'll stick to making my own BBQ in my back yard for family & friends. 
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
Re:New Que Contender? 2014/09/03 13:45:32 (permalink)
We had a Dickey's open here in Topeka a few years ago.  It's absolute crap. Having lived in Texas, it's definitly NOT Texas BBQ. Being so close to Kansas City where we can go to Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Oklahoma Joe's and many other excellent BBQ places, I have no idea why anyone would eat at Dickey's.
brisketboy
Re:New Que Contender? 2014/09/03 19:41:00 (permalink)
This thread is cracking me up. Everybody knows McDonalds is crap and yet the drive thrus are always jammed. Everybody knows Dickies is crap and yet we see their defenders. I just don't get it. Is is just that we are willing to "settle"? I suspect the answer to that is yes. I won't.
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
Re:New Que Contender? 2014/09/03 21:25:41 (permalink)
HollyDolly

Love, love Davila's down in Seguin. Criminally underrated barbecue. Excellent hot links, pork ribs and brisket. They've been running strong for 50 years and I always make a point of going there if I'm within an hour of their old joint near downtown.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1