The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

New World's Record for Travel to eat ?

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 8:40 AM (permalink)
In MSMBC today there is an article on food cravings and a lady named Jane Vandergrift from Milford, Ohio is quoted as traveling 5 hours for a sub.

She hops into her car and drives 5 hours (let's see, average 50 MPH equals 250 miles) to Waynesburg, Pa to the South Side Deli for a
Roast Beef, Capicoli, Swiss & Cheddar plus everything Sub. And she says it is worth every mile. How about that!!! Is that the world's record, or not ????

500 miles @ 20 miles per gallon = 25 gallons @ $3 equals $75 per a sub. Plus the cost of the sub ---approximately 80 bucks ------------ eatin' high off the hog.

buffetbuster

RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 9:11 AM (permalink)
    I don't live all that far away from Waynesburg, Pa. and I have never heard of the South Side Deli before. Hey, if that is what she is really craving, good for her!

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
      RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 9:32 AM (permalink)
      I don't think so. What a waste of her time and money.
      WHen it comes to traveling 5 hours by car for a good sub, she should just learn to make a good one herself or ask her local deli to make it for her, as similar as possible.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
        RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 9:51 AM (permalink)
        I agree...travel 5 hrs. maybe for a great restaurant's great meal...but notr sub. Maybe the poor woman is deprived of them in Ohio! Here in Jersey you don't have to travel 5 minutes for a superior Italian sub...so many choices.

the ancient mariner

RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 12:40 PM (permalink)
          I agree, when I read the message I was really amazed. You could buy
          the same ingredients for 20 subs at the supermarket. Sounded nutty to
          me---------------- But who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men,
          ------------------------the Shadow knows.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
            RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 2:24 PM (permalink)
            What the hey! I drove 900 miles for a pork tenderloin sandwich last October.

the ancient mariner

RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 3:28 PM (permalink)
              Davy my man is their insanity running through the
              family or are you the only one. I can buy a pork
              tenderloin and a loaf of bread or a few rolls and
              have myself a fine and dandy sandwich anytime I
              want, and so can you. Sooooooo, Why drive 900 miles?
              Need to put some miles on the car ????

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 3:43 PM (permalink)
                It there car, there money, they can do whatever they want to do, when they want to do it. Period, end of report.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 3:49 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by the ancient mariner

That's the whole point of Roadfood and in my opinion this website and forum-
                  Hitting the open road- Traveling and trying local cuisine....

Sundancer7

RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 3:55 PM (permalink)
                    I think there are many on Roadfood that has driven numerous miles for roadfood.A couple of years ago, I drove 1039 miles one way from Knoxville to Austin along with Rick F to meet up with Bushie for some BBQ and doughnuts. I would venture to say that Traveling Man, Seafayer, Wandering Jew, Buffet Buster and the Mayor have done similar things or farther. I am sure that there are many more posters that have made similar treks.

I know that Bushie drove from Austin to Indiana to meet up with him for some BBQ and then he drove to Knoxville and then back to Austin. I will bet that he logged at least 2500 miles.

If you include flights, I am sure that the mileage goes way up.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                      RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 4:17 PM (permalink)
                      We did 600 miles found trip in the same day ...Central Fl to Holly Hill, SC - Bub Sweatman's. Shared the driving. It was a great experience, but I was not crazy about whole hog BBQ. I like the slabs, briskets and shoulders done over a wood pit. Totally different textures.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                        RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 4:27 PM (permalink)
                        Linda and I drove from San Jose CA to Chicago just to have the benchmark deep dish pizza.
                        Curiosity about what a true Chicago deep dish was took us to this extreme........ Great trip glade we went........ I loved the pizza Linda didn't......... Researching the subject was as much fun as the trip and a lot of folks on these pages help to pick out the original deep dish.
                        http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1311&RefID=1311
                        ............... When we arrived at Pizzeria Uno we got the red carpet treatment , a tour of the kitchen, a talk about how the dough and pizza was made
                        and a great waitress serving us that made the whole experience a blast.
                        I know, I know, I know........... a bunch of you people are all ready to jump in and say Pizza Uno is not the best pizza in Chicago .................. Save your jump. Pizzeria Uno is the originator of the Chicago deep dish and all others are only a different version of this classic.

side bar: There is a chain of Pizzeria Uno across the land but they have nothing to do with the original in Chicago other then they have the sane name.

the ancient mariner

RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sat, 02/23/08 5:32 PM (permalink)
                          Well gang, I guess it is not unusual to travel great distances for
                          some kinda food, and I guess the 500 mile round trip isn't even
                          close to a world record--------but I just can't see it when you
                          can make as good or better, and a heck of a lot cheaper right in
                          your own kitchen or backyard.

I always considered Roadfood the places I had to eat in when I was
                          on the road------which was over 50 years. As hard as I try to
                          remember I think I can truthfully say I have never gone any more
                          than 50 miles to just eat. And I never did that alone.

I apologize to all who I may have offended. Mea Culpa, mea culpa.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                            RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sun, 02/24/08 10:43 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

Mariner, I too can make a better tenderloin at home and I have proven that to my satisfaction. But, it is the pursuit that is the game and meeting road fooders and restaurant owners. I can't say I have traveled the furthest by any stretch. I doubt many of us can match to road food journeys of Buffetbuster and WanderingJew to name two.

Barney

• Total Posts: 115
                              RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sun, 02/24/08 11:24 AM (permalink)
                              I, for one, totally understand going the distance to answer a craving! About every 2 months, myself and a friend drive 3 1/2 hrs to get some good eastern style BBQ in Goldsboro, NC (Wilbers) and a secondary place, Pete Jones Starlight Inn (Ayden, NC). We also include a trip to some new place we haven't been to every so often.

Wilbers has the barbecue that tastes like what I was first introduced to when I was about 8 yrs old down close to Faison, NC.

While, in Ayden, it's the sight of the fellow chopping the que right there in front of the restaurant that intices me there as well as their crispy flat cornbread!

As long as we can afford the gas, I'll gladly go the distance! Heck, I think I'll call my bbqfriend and see when she wants to go!

Barney

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sun, 02/24/08 11:34 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

Well gang, I guess it is not unusual to travel great distances for
                                some kinda food, and I guess the 500 mile round trip isn't even
                                close to a world record--------but I just can't see it when you
                                can make as good or better, and a heck of a lot cheaper right in
                                your own kitchen or backyard.

Old nautical guy,

Also keep in mind, not all of us cook, also, some of us (OK- actually "I") prefer to maintain a healthy lifestyle at home. As Davydd says, it's the "pursuit" or "the opportunity to meet restaurant owners and other roadfooders" that makes us seek out these local specialties. In my opinion, enjoying good food "in local surroundings" makes it that more unique and special.

plb

RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sun, 02/24/08 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                  I'll drive 5 hours, eat at a new Roodfood place, spend a few hours seeing tourist attractions, eat at another Roodfood place, and drive 5 hours home. But I can not see myself driving 5 hours each way for a sandwich.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sun, 02/24/08 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                    5 hours one way when do we start??

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                      RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Sun, 02/24/08 10:12 PM (permalink)
                                      Dearfolk,
                                      Then I reckon I better pull out and motor up to Wilkesboro, North Carolina (by way of Asheville) for a dressed livermush sandwich.
                                      Or maybe I'd do better to head east (Never Been Any Reason not to!) and visit Wilber's BBQ AND Scott's BBQ in Goldsboro, N. C., and pick up some of Scott's wondrous vinegar sauce while I'm thereabouts.
                                      Remind me -- I've got to pay my insurance and get the transmission in Van Ella looked after... she's slipping.
                                      Hopefully I'm Not, Ort. Carlton in Neutral Territory Athens, Georgia.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Mon, 02/25/08 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                        I routinely drvie from western Massachusetts to Portland, Maine for J'S OYSTER (and usually BECKY'S DINER) ...

jettababs

• Total Posts: 222
                                          RE: New World's Record for Travel to eat ? Mon, 02/25/08 10:21 AM (permalink)
                                          I'm flying over 2000 miles in a few weeks to eat corned beef hash at Uncle Bill's in Manhattan Beach, In-And-Out wherever, and hoping to try Phillipe's this time 'round. Much rather drive, believe me, but not enough vacation time for a roadtrip of that magnitude. Plus, with all of the 100's of good roadfood places along the way, I wouldn't fit into my car by the time we got to LA! We've detoured about 4 hours to eat at Central BBQ in Memphis, and many times have thought about just up and leaving for beignets--that's the good thing about Cafe du Monde--no matter when the impulse strikes or how far you have to drive, they'll be open.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com