New York City Steakhouses

Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3742
2006/04/11 22:06:44 (permalink)

New York City Steakhouses

I know that there are many mentions of the standard bearer steakhouses of NYC in the "Great Steakhouses" thread, but I thought that with the proliferation of great steak joints in the City that this topic deserves a thread of it's own.

AOL City Guide (which you may take with as many grains of salt as you like) has listed the Top 10 Steakhouses in NYC:

Peter Luger
Williamsburg
Can there be any doubt that this fabled meatery surpasses all who make themselves in Luger's image?

Sparks
Midtown East

Wolfgang's
Murray Hill

Strip House
Greenwich Village

Bobby Van's
Midtown West

Ben & Jack's
Grand Central

BLT Steak
Midtown East

MarkJoseph
Financial District

Post House
Midtown East

Dylan Prime
Tribeca

To be honest, I am not all that interested in debating which of these is better than the others. My gut says that they probably all have decent grub. I have been to Luger's and it is my benchmark for a good steak - heck, it is my benchmark for a good meal. What I am curious to know is if any of these places are worth hitting instead of Luger's -- with price being the only concern. In other words, relative to Luger's, are any of these places listed a bargain? Are there others in the City that you think could be considered a bargain? I know -- look in Vegas for a steak bargain (likely at the $2.99 buffets )....not a REAL bargain (like a $9.95 filet), but a relative bargain (for less money, the steak at XX is almost as good as Luger's).

Any ideas?

13 Replies Related Threads

BernieG
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/04/27 14:13:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

To be honest, I am not all that interested in debating which of these is better than the others. My gut says that they probably all have decent grub. I have been to Luger's and it is my benchmark for a good steak - heck, it is my benchmark for a good meal. What I am curious to know is if any of these places are worth hitting instead of Luger's -- with price being the only concern. In other words, relative to Luger's, are any of these places listed a bargain? Are there others in the City that you think could be considered a bargain? I know -- look in Vegas for a steak bargain (likely at the $2.99 buffets )....not a REAL bargain (like a $9.95 filet), but a relative bargain (for less money, the steak at XX is almost as good as Luger's).

Any ideas?

Hmmm, 2+ weeks and no replies. Looks like the answer is a resounding "no".

Luger's rules, but the schlepp to Brooklyn and the fact that they don't take plastic makes it tough for me to frequent.

A couple of places that didn't make the AOL list and are worthy of a mention:
    1- The Palm
    2- Ben Benson's
    3- Frankie and Johnnie's
    4- Ruth's Chris (may take some heat for this one, but as good a NY Strip as one will find anywhere)
    5- Smith and Wolensky
    6- Michael Jordan's
    7- Gallagher's

Price-wise, well, no bargins to be had, but for the occassional celebration, you will likley not be disappointed.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/04/27 15:26:33 (permalink)
    Big omission from the list: Frank's Restaurant on 15th & 11th Avenue. Good value to, or at least it used to be. Which is different from being cheap, which its definitely not.

Also, I have found BLT Steak to be all hat & no cattle. And if Ben & Jack's in Grand Central is the old Michael Jordan's, I hope its come way up under new ownership. The old place was basically a souvenier shop with an overpriced steak place attached.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/04/28 12:29:49 (permalink)
    I will admit to my own sloth. I usually stay at the Marriott East Side on Lex. Smith and Wollensky's is a block or so away. I love their filet sandwich in the side bar. That and a 1/2 btl of bordeaux and I'm a happy camper.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/05/02 03:11:00 (permalink)
    the best deal I had for a delicious steak was at Del Friscos in Rockefeller Center.

the 10 ounce "carpetbagger steak" (aka ribeye) was a steak at 26.00

Mister F.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/05/05 23:46:23 (permalink)
    Frankie and Johnny's is superb. Outstanding bone-in sirloin and rib-eye, great mineral flavor, perfectly cooked. Great salad, with excellent vinagrette. Good waitstaff, cold beer. I eat there every time I'm in New York.
    NYC2SoCal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/05/09 14:28:42 (permalink)
    On my rare occasional trips to NYC (twice a year), I have learned... I don't waste my time going to any others besides Peter Lugers in Brooklyn. One night at any other steakhouse is one meal away from Peter Lugers.. honestly, all the high end steakhouses are priced similarly. I have heard some good things about Wolfgangs... Alas, for me to eat there, someone else has to schedule a reservation. If I reserve, it's for Lugers.. ;-)
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/06/08 18:47:07 (permalink)
    I love Sparks, Smith & Wollensky, and Gallagher's. Also worth a mention is Cite for their scrumptious veal chop.
    Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/06/09 14:00:44 (permalink)
    I second the Frankie and Johnnie's nomination...perhaps the best T-Bone and Ribeye I've ever had....love the atmosphere, up a narrow staircase....small, cramped and wonderful classic NY...plus a bartender who will fill your second draft beer gratis if he's in the mood (there was a great guy who preceeded him who got fired for doing the same thing.....but customers complained as they were used to this nice courtesy, so guess it's been revived)

Love the atmosphere at Gallagher's too..but steaks aren't that great...in fact cauught one of the longtime bartenders at Gallaghers (whose name I won't mention as he pledged me to secrecy), sneakily eating a steak at Frankie and Johnnie's bar one night...that's a pretty darn good endorsement if you ask me!
    samrai
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/07/08 20:48:19 (permalink)
    When I was still living in NY, a high school buddy and I used to make our annual birthday dinner at a different steakhouse every year. Growing up on Long Island, we did the steak row on Northern blvd for a few years. While Lugers was the best and the basis for comparision, our venture last year (we missed this year sadly) was Uncle Jacks on Bell Blvd in Bayside, Queens. They also have a location in the city. Tight quarters with a small table that made me feel I was in the middle of the way but food was something that stood out. While we contemplated the Kobe beef, our wallets made us come to our senses and since this was a steakhouse comparison we did every year, we ordered the Porterhouse as comparison for the Luger steak for two. I really couldn't fairly compare as my last trip to Lugers was a few years earlier than the trip, but I must say we were impressed, and vowed to return again. It was an excellent meal that made us rethink Luger's superiority but as I mentioned, it had been a while so the true test would have been to go to Lugers the next night. My wallet said no.

Another steakhouse that I had eaten at twice is out of the way for those visiting NYC but if you are on Long Island, Paces Steakhouse on Route 347 in Hauppauge was in my top three. If you are daring and have a car and are leaving the NYC area, take the Grand Central Parkway, which will turn into the Northern State Parkway when you reach the Nassau county line. Continue on the Northern State parkway all the way to the end where it turns into Route 347. About two or three miles down on your right hand side just when stores and businesses start to pop up, you will see Paces. It is next to a Shoprite shopping center. Great Steaks. Also, my girlfriend ordered a Baked Sweet Potato that was the size of junior football. No lie. Largest potato I ever saw. Give these two a shot if you are in the area. Just my two cents.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/07/15 01:59:14 (permalink)
    Gotta say, I went to Luger's with my girlfriend and her family. They had been talking it up forever and I wasn't at all impressed. The bacon was chewy (I prefer crispy), not a fan of the tomato and onion salad, the homefries tasted like they had been fried in grease that was overdue to be changed, and the steak was undercooked. What can I say, I like it medium. I did try it medium rare first and gave it the old college try before pushing it away. The service was excellent though. Wouldn't go back.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 826
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/07/15 12:03:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Gotta say, I went to Luger's with my girlfriend and her family. They had been talking it up forever and I wasn't at all impressed. The bacon was chewy (I prefer crispy), not a fan of the tomato and onion salad, the homefries tasted like they had been fried in grease that was overdue to be changed, and the steak was undercooked. What can I say, I like it medium. I did try it medium rare first and gave it the old college try before pushing it away. The service was excellent though. Wouldn't go back.

Just curious, Brooklyn or Great Neck? Odd, most complain first about the service.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/07/15 13:04:54 (permalink)
    Brooklyn. I knew about the "gruff" service going in, but I found them to be very accommodating and knowledgable.
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: New York City Steakhouses 2006/07/15 16:02:27 (permalink)
    Peter Luger is the benchmark! Ben Benson's is worth a try.Spark's comes in real close.Luger has it's own "In House" credit card see if ya can get one. Haven't been in awhile but couple times back that "noble rot" flavor was inconsistent within same Porterhouse---found that a bit strange. Anyone else have same expeience?

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1