New York City & Boston June 2012

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2358
2012/02/25 14:07:21 (permalink)

New York City & Boston June 2012

We are traveling by train, taking the 4 day Northern Canadian Route from Vancouver BC to Toronto this summer. I plan on renting a car and driving down to Buffalo/ Niagara Falls. From that point on it's up in the air, I am traveling with my wife and 11 yr old granddaughter. they have never been to New England, I was thinking of driving from Buffalo to Boston, is this a good idea ????? and a good route. What would you all do, if you were doing this. I want to get the best Roadfood travel route and also make it a fun trip and over night adventures for them. I will fly back to Washington State from whatever major New England city I end up in...........This will be the start of my trip report...................If Boston isn't a good idea, what do you think would be a good route???????.Thanks for the help in advance, all of you have been a great source of help to myself and my family.................Bill
post edited by pnwchef - 2012/02/29 10:04:51

71 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 15:02:48 (permalink)
    Start by experimenting with one-way rental car rates (and for that matter, airfares) ... You're gonna need connections to get back home, so you can be flexible. 
    Possible airports:  Portland, Maine ... Providence, RI ... Worcester, MA (real limited air service) ... Hartford/Springfield ... Manchester, NH.
    (Even White Plains, NY which is just by Greenwich, CT ... SOOOO much Connecticut RF)
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 15:04:33 (permalink)
    Or would taking them down through Lancaster,Pa into Philadelphia and up into NYC be a better idea ????????????????
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 15:12:03 (permalink)
    They've never been to Connecticut? You can't skip that. But remember, lobster rolls don't cost 75-cents each any longer.
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 16:12:30 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com. I checked on the car rental, it will be easier to accomplish in Buffalo, I'm not sure any one lets you pick up in Canada and drop off in the USA. I just want to make it a nice trip for my wife and little one.

Michael Hoffman. If I get to Boston, it's a bit to far to BPT unless I fly out of NYC. I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of a drive, there isn't any one left in BPT except old friends. If I get to Boston, I should be able to get a taste of all New England foods.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 17:40:18 (permalink)
    Hey Chef, Easy ride from Buffalo, one road, i90 East.  I think your family will enjoy Boston.  There's a lot of history there, and it's a walking town.  Also, your daughter might enjoy Salem.

If you choose Lancaster from Buffalo you will travel within one mile of me so plan on stopping.  Also, from Lancaster you will be in range of a place called Chubby's BBQ.  Maybe we can schedule a meet-up, I hear the Q is pretty good

Or, from Buffalo take i90 east to Syracuse, then take i81 south to Scranton, have lunch with me, then take i84 or i380/i80/i95 through Connecticut on your way to Boston.

Keep in touch.
    post edited by joerogo - 2012/02/25 17:43:01
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 17:45:40 (permalink)
    if you want a scenic ride from Buffalo to Boston, take rt 20. you will travel past the finger lakes, the glacial moraines of central ny, the alleghany plateau, if you have the time, Cooperstown and the baseball hall of fame is only a few minutes south of 20. In Madison take a 1 mile trip north to the Hotel Solsville and eat in a former stagecoach stop. In Aug, Bouckville has a giant Antique festival that runs for 6 miles. You won't hit a major city until Albany.
    post edited by ynotryme - 2012/02/26 19:03:48
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 18:03:50 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    Michael Hoffman. If I get to Boston, it's a bit to far to BPT unless I fly out of NYC. I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of a drive, there isn't any one left in BPT except old friends. If I get to Boston, I should be able to get a taste of all New England foods.

I do have a sister in Connecticut, but that's all. As to old friends, well I don't know whether there are any left there. So, when I go it's strictly to show lleechef my beginnings and to eat good things at old places.

But, hey, how could you go wrong with a stop at Chubby's with Rogo? And remember, at Chubby's you'll have the opportunity to eat bacon. And, maybe you could show the owner of that place how to take pictures all by himself using a real camera instead of his daughter's iPhone. Of course he'll likely bug you about Phillipe's.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/02/25 18:06:56
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/25 18:16:30 (permalink)
    joerogo.......Thanks for the invite Joe, I am leaning towards Boston, I haven't been there in years and like you said there is a lot of History. I think you talked about an Italian Restaurant named Rino's, I would love to sample this Chefs food. There are also many other old time places that a few Oysters can be thrown down. I just need to make the ride  a bit of fun for the 11 yr old. Thanks for the info...........pnwc
    p.s. Joe, is staying outside Boston a good idea ???? ditching the car and travel by subway/train.

ynotryme....... Thanks, I'll keep these places in mind so I can stop over night and break up the 450 miles a bit.

post edited by pnwchef - 2012/02/25 18:21:59
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/26 12:29:02 (permalink)
    Rino's is fantastic!  Been there three times, and it keeps getting better.  Closed on Sunday.  I found the best time to beat the lines is 2-3 in the afternoon(except Monday, opens at 4 PM).

Stay in the City.  Once you hit town, you should be able to ditch the car, all the major rental companies should be there(without going to the airport).  You will need a taxi to get to Rino's, other than that you hoof it in the city.  Driving in Boston is a royal PIA, the roads were laid out in the 1600's

Edit: Good thread on Boston.
    post edited by joerogo - 2012/02/26 12:38:02
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/26 14:00:15 (permalink)
    joerogo, out of all the Chefs I have seen on the food shows, this Chef impressed me the most. He does it the right way, not because it's the easy way, because it's the right way. This guy is 100% a Chef's Chef, I'm looking forward to eating at his place. I like your idea of taking a right at Sryacuse and heading in to Conn at Danbury. My little girl will like the idea of going to Salem. I could get a direct flight out of Boston back to Seattle, so Boston will be  a great place to end the trip and enjoy it's history for a few days. Thanks for the help Joe................Bill

Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/26 14:42:00 (permalink)
    I'd endorse the proposed stop in Buffalo because, well, I live her, and secondly, there's some pretty good Roadfood here.  I'd be glad to schedule a meet-up if you'd like or provide some recommendations.  You've probably seen the trip reports and restaurant reviews for Ted's, Anderson's, Schwabl's, Duff's, Anchor Bar, and many other great places; just a matter of what kind of food you would like.  Plenty of good candy places here also!
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/26 19:47:47 (permalink)
    BTarheel, The beef on weck is  a must and my family never had Frozen Custard. I'm starting to plan the trip, I'II be looking at the end of June. I'll know more when it gets closer and I book my Train from Vancouver to Toronto. I need to keep the little 11 year old busy, so it's hard getting all the Roadfood taken care as I would like............Thanks for the help.................Bill
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/26 20:21:06 (permalink)
      Michael Hoffman, I see Jimmies of Savin Rock isn't getting real good Reviews. I changed my mind and I'm going to go through Connecticut by way of old post road, and into Mystic seaport. I want to get some good fried Clams, Lobster rolls, with some Chowder thrown in as a kicker. I think I'll need to stop or stay over close to New Haven so I could get a Clam pie. I'm going to call it Apizza, no matter what those New Yorkers say. I will never for get my dad coming through the front door with a large Apizza from Jerry's. He would yell I got the ABEETS, we all ran to the table..........I think I need a Buck list of all my Roadfood wants, so I could plan my trip around food destinations. ...Take care............Bill
    post edited by pnwchef - 2012/02/27 11:12:35
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/26 20:29:07 (permalink)
    pnwchef

BTarheel, The beef on weck is  a must and my family never had Frozen Custard. I'm starting to plan the trip, I'II be looking at the end of June. I'll know more when it gets closer and I book my Train from Vancouver to Toronto. I need to keep the little 11 year old busy, so it's hard getting all the Roadfood taken care as I would like............Thanks for the help.................Bill

We can definitely set you up with some good beef on weck and frozen custard.  Feel free to send a PM, and I'll send you my contact information.  Hope to see you all this summer.  Sounds like a great trip.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 08:44:42 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Michael Hoffman, I see Jimmies of Savin Rock isn't getting real good Reviews. I changed my mind and I'm going to go through Connecticut by way of old post road, and into Mystic seaport. I want to get some good fried Clams, Lobster rolls, with some Chowder thrown in as a kicker. I think I'll need to stop or stay over close to New Haven so I could get a Clam pie. I'm going to call it Apizza, no matter what those New Yorkers say. I will never for get my dad coming through the front door with a large Apizza from Jerry's. He would yell I got the ABEETS, we all ran to the table..........I think I need a Buck list of r so I could plan my trip around food destinations. ...Take care............Bill

Don't forget Louis Lunch 

Just bring a few of these

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 09:13:18 (permalink)
    When ??
    If you go to Boston, you'll practically be driving by my house in Northampton, Massachusetts.  I hope you'd be able to let me know I'd be glad to show you a little of what we've got around here.

pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 10:15:26 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel. Thanks for the info and kindness, I will get in touch when I figure out the Train Scheduling and when I'll be crossing the border. I need to get my 11 year old a passport, I'll be working on that this week..........Thanks again.....................Bill
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 11:14:50 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

pnwchef

Michael Hoffman, I see Jimmies of Savin Rock isn't getting real good Reviews. I changed my mind and I'm going to go through Connecticut by way of old post road, and into Mystic seaport. I want to get some good fried Clams, Lobster rolls, with some Chowder thrown in as a kicker. I think I'll need to stop or stay over close to New Haven so I could get a Clam pie. I'm going to call it Apizza, no matter what those New Yorkers say. I will never for get my dad coming through the front door with a large Apizza from Jerry's. He would yell I got the ABEETS, we all ran to the table..........I think I need a Buck list of r so I could plan my trip around food destinations. ...Take care............Bill

Don't forget Louis Lunch 

Are you trying to have these folks thrown out of Louis' Lunch?  I'm not sure if I'd try to smuggle these in.  I can imagine the outcry: "Sir; step away from the burger and put the ketchup down.  Make sure I can see your hands."
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 11:16:22 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Buffalo Tarheel. Thanks for the info and kindness, I will get in touch when I figure out the Train Scheduling and when I'll be crossing the border. I need to get my 11 year old a passport, I'll be working on that this week..........Thanks again.....................Bill

Sounds great.  Hope all the plans go well.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 11:24:33 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

pnwchef

Don't forget Louis Lunch 

Commie!
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 12:15:14 (permalink)
    joerogo

Tony Bad

pnwchef

Don't forget Louis Lunch 

Commie!

Joe, this is a "Hamburgertatorship" at it's worst. This is a new word for people or organizations that try to tell you how to eat your food.
    post edited by pnwchef - 2012/02/27 12:17:56
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 12:42:14 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

When ??
    If you go to Boston, you'll practically be driving by my house in Northampton, Massachusetts.  I hope you'd be able to let me know I'd be glad to show you a little of what we've got around here.

Greg, it looks like sometime around the first week of July........I'll let you know more when I start booking trains and flights..............Thanks for the offer .............Bill
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 13:01:20 (permalink)
    In Pittston, we call it, "making a big sfilza" over nothing.   

Getting back to Rino's.  His kitchen area is very small and storage is very limited.  It's not unusual to see him going out to the street and carrying in boxes of fresh food several times during your meal.  Can't get any fresher than that!
    post edited by joerogo - 2012/02/27 13:07:12
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 18:21:40 (permalink)
    This is the Route marked in Blue from Vancouver BC to Toronto. We will be boarding the train going East, I will have a Cabin for 3, my little girl bets the top bunk, shes in seventh heaven. The train leaves Vancouver at 8:30 pm pulls in to Toronto at 9:30 am 4 days later. The train goes through the Canadian Rockies, I'm looking forward to that part. It should be  a nice way to start our trip East.........

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 20:03:23 (permalink)
    Awesome!  I am thinking that your best bet is to take a train from Toronto to Niagara  Falls and picking up your rental car there.  At one time, we tried to rent a car in Canada to come into the states and no car rental places would do it.  Of course, that was 20 years ago and things may have changed.
    post edited by Greymo - 2012/02/28 10:11:34
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10106
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 20:34:39 (permalink)
    I don't think you mentioned how many days you've allocated for your trip did you? A shorter time frame means using interstates more than scenic routes. Example, I-90 goes direct from Buffalo to Boston. Quickest route.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/27 20:36:22 (permalink)
    I drove the road that roughly parallels the train between Kamloops BC and Jasper...along the Thompson River, and it was absolutely amazing. I sure hope you cover that stretch in daylight!
    pnwchef
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/28 09:49:55 (permalink)
    Tony, The train departs Vancouver at 8:30 Pm and goes through Kamloops at 6 AM and arrives Jasper at 4PM. That gives the whole day going through that area. That should be a good way to start the trip, we also have access to the dome car so that should make it even better...............Because of the breath taking views on this part of the trip, the Canadian Government cordially asks that you refrain from using ketchup...............pnwc
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Traveling from Buffalo, NY to parts of New England ??????????? 2012/02/28 10:00:04 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Tony, The train departs Vancouver at 8:30 Pm and goes through Kamloops at 6 AM and arrives Jasper at 4PM. That gives the whole day going through that area. That should be a good way to start the trip, we also have access to the dome car so that should make it even better...............Because of the breath taking views on this part of the trip, the Canadian Government cordially asks that you refrain from using ketchup...............pnwc

You'll be too busy oohhing and ahhhing to think about ketchup! The area from Kamloops to Mt. Robson park is a beautiful river canyon, and then from Mt. Robson to Jasper is an amazing mountain pass. You being from West Coast may be more used to such scenery, but for me, having spent my life within a few blocks of the ocean (ie: sea level) this was just amazing. 

I am sure you know this, but Mt Robson is highest peak in Canadian Rockies and will be right out your window. Really glad to see you'll be going through here in daylight! Take pictures!!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1