New York City

Author
TFitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
2005/12/13 10:02:11 (permalink)

New York City

I was in New York on Saturday to take in the holiday atmosphere and we took the subway down to Soho. Bought some bread at the Sullivan Street bakery (raisin walnut loaf, olive rolls and some double crusted loaf). Walked over to Little Italy for some subs and calzone’s at the Italian food market on the corner of Grand and Mulberry. As always the subs were great and at $6.25 for a large roll a bargain in New York. This time we tried a chicken parm calzone and it was huge for only $5. We ate the subs in the street while a mini parade passed by. Next we wandered over to the lower east side to go to economy candy. I used to work for a European company and I always brought back British and Irish candy bars. Economy candy has a wide variety of European candy as well as old US candies that are hard to find. On the way back to canal street we spotted a big crowd under the Manhattan Bridge and we wandered down. It was a group of produce vendors and the prices were unreal. $2 for 5 pounds of seedless grapes, $1 for two golden pineapples and so on. All in all a good day

3 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: New York City 2005/12/13 11:38:25 (permalink)
    Sounds like a fantastic day.
    And more proof that NYC doesn't HAVE to be an expensive trip with regards to eating.
    Once you get out of the real touristy places, there are plenty of cheap eats.
    Thanks for sharing TFitz.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: New York City 2005/12/13 11:51:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Sounds like a fantastic day.
    And more proof that NYC doesn't HAVE to be an expensive trip with regards to eating.
    Once you get out of the real touristy places, there are plenty of cheap eats.
    Thanks for sharing TFitz.

It does sound like a great day!

I also agree about the expense aspect of things. Competition is intense in many areas of NYC, and this keeps prices down. I find that I can buy a good sandwich or a slice of pizza for less than it costs out in shruburbia...and it is often much better. The Italian Food Center is a great place for good deals on food and is a place I never like to pass up! I also applaud you for finding Economy Candy...that is a gem that most out of town visitors would miss.

Nice job...you could teach many locals a lot about where to go in NYC!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: New York City 2005/12/13 13:51:01 (permalink)
    Thanks TFitz... Economy Candy does have a nice selection there! Thanks for turning me on to them..
    http://www.economycandy.com
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1