New York Old Fashion (Just Bagels)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
RobbyB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2010/07/22 00:30:01 (permalink)

New York Old Fashion (Just Bagels)

Let it be known right up front, I have a bagel problem. Sometimes I wonder just how many people have had the pleasure and joy of tasting a real old fashion new york bagel, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  

I fear most people have had bread with a hole in the middle and just think! they're eating a bagel. 

Let me tell you my favorite way to have a bagel, it's a fresh, but not hot, salted bagel with lots of hard cold butter, I enjoy either a cold glass of milk or a cup of strong hot coffee and cream with it. 

I have lots to say on this subject but first I'd like to hear from some of you fine people talking about my favorite subject, the bagel, how do you like it and where do you buy it. I had a real bagel problem for many years, we'll talk about that later. 

PS
I found the perfect and best Old Fashion New York Bagel that I ever ate from a company in the Bronx (Just Bagels) they now deliver anywhere in the US     

post edited by RobbyB - 2010/07/22 16:42:28

37 Replies Related Threads

beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 01:27:22 (permalink)
    Nothing beat a true NY bagel I so agree. When I moved across country I was in culture shock. Then a friend I met a real brooklynier told me of the Bagelery on railroad avenue in Bellingham Wa. Heaven was found.
        Does anyone know where in Beijing I can find a bagel. Starbucks LMAO.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6188
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 07:15:06 (permalink)
    Here in Jersey you have countless choices for hand rolled NEW York style bagels..we keep shopping around..the cafe in brick,near a.c. Moore seems to have the best...as of today...We're blessed!!
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 07:23:20 (permalink)
    beijinger

Nothing beat a true NY bagel I so agree. When I moved across country I was in culture shock. Then a friend I met a real brooklynier told me of the Bagelery on railroad avenue in Bellingham Wa. Heaven was found.

WOW, that blows my mind that you mentioned Starbucks and I'll tell you why. Read this message that was sent to me on my website BagelLovers.

After many years of literally going through withdrawel trying to find a bagel like the ones I ate in my childhood, I came across this Starbucks in one of my travels that had the very best bagel I ever tasted. Now I've had bagels in the Starbucks in my area and it wasn't the same. 

I had to do some investigating to prove to myself that I knew a real old fashion NY bagel when I ate one. After some arm twisting and many phone calls I found out that some, but not all of the Starbucks get their bagels from a Bronx New York company (Just Bagels) I also found out that the starbucks that do carry this bagel, do great with it. 

The first thing I did was check the internet to see if they had a website and they did but didn't sell retail, I was devastated, here I finally found the bagel I had been looking for but couldn't buy it. 

After a few years of contacting Just Bagels via email, and reading all the tributes on their website from people like myself wanting to buy from them, (whalla) they finally did it, I can now buy their delicious old fashion New York bagel directly from their website and I'm now in bagel heaven, it really is the best, you have to eat one to believe it...

post edited by RobbyB - 2010/07/22 08:38:27
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 09:54:05 (permalink)
    Here in NE PA the bagels are pretty good. Not that they aren't better in NYC, but they're pretty good; like you said, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. "Real" bagels, we have them.

Which one? Man, that's hard. I like them all. I guess I like "everything" bagels the least. But I'm good with plain, caraway, sesame, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, poppyseed, all by themeslves. Wheat and rye, they're OK The berries, blue- and cran-, I'm OK with but not wild about.

Toppings, butter, or cream cheese, or margarine, or crunchy peanut butter.

But the best, the very best, is a plain bagel, toasted and buttered. With that, an omelet: cheddar and fried peppers. Take a forkful of the omelet, about a bite, and put it on the bagel and eat. Repeat, until both are gone.
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 12:24:25 (permalink)
    One thing we haven't mentioned yet is the bagel sandwich, wow, what could be better, that is if it's on a real bagel, not bread with a hole.

My personal favorite is thinly sliced boars head ham & cheese with a little butter and spicy brown mustard on an everthing bagel. I also like it with tomato and mayo, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I'm so glad I can get those great old fashion NY bagels again...
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 12:28:28 (permalink)
    RobbyB

What about the bagels from Hot Bagels& More in Margate? They're local and good.

RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 12:34:20 (permalink)
    acer2x

RobbyB

What about the bagels from Hot Bagels& More in Margate? They're local and good.

Exactly where in Margate, I never had them. The best area bagels I found is on Rt 9 south of Shoprite in Somers Point

acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 12:35:54 (permalink)
    7807 Ventnor Ave, Margate City, NJ 08402 (609) 823-4144
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6188
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 14:05:06 (permalink)
    RobbyB

One thing we haven't mentioned yet is the bagel sandwich, wow, what could be better, that is if it's on a real bagel, not bread with a hole.

My personal favorite is thinly sliced boars head ham & cheese with a little butter and spicy brown mustard on an everthing bagel. I also like it with tomato and mayo, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I'm so glad I can get those great old fashion NY bagels again...

Genoa salami and provolone cheese on a poppy,garllic, or sesame bagel!!
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 16:53:25 (permalink)
    Leethebard, Now you have my mouth watering. One of my favorites most people won't know.

Siciillan salami with Ricotta Salata cheese and roasted peppers on a plain bagel...

acer2x, I'll check out that place on Ventnor Ave, thanks
    post edited by RobbyB - 2010/07/22 16:56:03
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 17:24:19 (permalink)
    I saw some Just Bagels being unpacked at a Whole Foods.
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 18:09:40 (permalink)
    David_NYC

I saw some Just Bagels being unpacked at a Whole Foods.

David, if you like bagels you have to check these out...

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 18:34:41 (permalink)
    I already have. They are baked across the street from the plant where they USED to make the Sabrett natural casing franks and the onion sauce. I once passed there and the aroma of the bagel plant combined with the hot dog plant had me salivating. There are a number of places in NYC that sell their bagels fresh, and they are the best kind.

They have a few videos shot inside their plant on their website:
    http://www.justbagels.com/index.html
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 18:39:37 (permalink)
    I grew up in NYC and I don't care what you put on it, nothing, I repeat, nothing, beats a NYC bagel!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18257
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 19:15:59 (permalink)
    leethebard

RobbyB

There is just something so WRONG about Genoa and provolone on a bagel. I mean, c'mon. Pork on a bagel? Meat and cheese together, on a bagel?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 19:31:54 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

leethebard

RobbyB

There is just something so WRONG about Genoa and provolone on a bagel. I mean, c'mon. Pork on a bagel? Meat and cheese together, on a bagel?

Kosher Schmosher! Live, Love, Laugh and be happy!
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 20:16:19 (permalink)
    FINALLY, we have a wonderful bagel place here in Madison. Everyone else should pack their bags and go home. These are the real things.
    http://www.gothambagels.com/
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 20:27:52 (permalink)
    David NYC
    Due to the fact that up until now Just Bagels only sold wholesale I didn't think anyone would of heard about or knew of their great bagels. You really surprised me, I thought I had the scoop on this story. 

You have no idea how many times I tried to buy from them, now I finally can. On top of it all their FedEx delivery rates are good.
    post edited by RobbyB - 2010/07/22 20:29:17
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 20:33:38 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

I grew up in NYC and I don't care what you put on it, nothing, I repeat, nothing, beats a NYC bagel!

amen, right on, your absolutly correct. Most people have no idea what a real bagel  tastes like.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/22 21:52:40 (permalink)
    RobbyB

David NYC
    Due to the fact that up until now Just Bagels only sold wholesale I didn't think anyone would of heard about or knew of their great bagels. You really surprised me, I thought I had the scoop on this story. 

You have no idea how many times I tried to buy from them, now I finally can. On top of it all their FedEx delivery rates are good.

The FedEx rates are regional. You're close to NYC. I'm in AZ- MUCH, MUCH higher and 5 days to get here unless you pay MEGA bucks for overnight! Believe it or not----------Life exists outside the NY-NJ World!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/07/22 21:54:45
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/24 08:00:16 (permalink)
    Foodbme

RobbyB

David NYC

The FedEx rates are regional. You're close to NYC. I'm in AZ- MUCH, MUCH higher and 5 days to get here unless you pay MEGA bucks for overnight! Believe it or not----------Life exists outside the NY-NJ World!

I agree with you but some people are willing to pay ups, fedex, etc. I guess, or those companies would be out of business...

For myself, I'm willing to pay for something I really want if I can afford it. You only live once...
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/24 21:49:57 (permalink)
    For me, Bagels Plus in New Paltz, NY has the best New York style bagels around.  Fresh every morning, made on premise!

I hear you about the butter although my pick would be their sesame bagel.  My favorite though would be their Super Bagel with garlic & herb cream cheese.  They also have very good fresh ground coffee.
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1620
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/25 07:32:29 (permalink)
    As an ex-NYer now living in central FL, I had just about given up on finding any decent bagels in this area. Then I found Ray's New York Bagels in the frozen food section of Publix Supermarkets. You have to bake them for 6-7 minutes & they come out crunchy on the outside & chewy on the inside. Not the best bagel I've ever tasted, but I've had worse when I lived in the NYC area. Their website has a "Where to Buy" section that lets you see where to find them in your state.

Now if these guys could just do something similar with a NYC Hard Roll!

http://www.raysnewyorkbagels.com/ 
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/07/25 08:11:19 (permalink)
    RobbyB

beijinger

WOW, that blows my mind that you mentioned Starbucks and I'll tell you why. Read this message that was sent to me on my website BagelLovers.

After many years of literally going through withdrawel trying to find a bagel like the ones I ate in my childhood, I came across this Starbucks in one of my travels that had the very best bagel I ever tasted. Now I've had bagels in the Starbucks in my area and it wasn't the same. 

I had to do some investigating to prove to myself that I knew a real old fashion NY bagel when I ate one. After some arm twisting and many phone calls I found out that some, but not all of the Starbucks get their bagels from a Bronx New York company (Just Bagels) I also found out that the starbucks that do carry this bagel, do great with it. 

The first thing I did was check the internet to see if they had a website and they did but didn't sell retail, I was devastated, here I finally found the bagel I had been looking for but couldn't buy it. 

After a few years of contacting Just Bagels via email, and reading all the tributes on their website from people like myself wanting to buy from them, (whalla) they finally did it, I can now buy their delicious old fashion New York bagel directly from their website and I'm now in bagel heaven, it really is the best, you have to eat one to believe it...

We had a similar experience with our Starbucks here - my wife loves black and white cookies from growing up in Brooklyn and Queens and in Nassau County and they are virtually impossible to find in Ohio. 

Well our Starbucks has mini ones and they come from a Brooklyn baker who only deals wholesale with Starbucks and some other chains around the country.  They are just about as good as the originals she remembers growing up but lots more expensive.

We have one place in SW Ohio that makes bagels like they used to make anywhere in NYC and two places who make pizza resembling NY pizza.

Don't get me going on crusty chewy French/Italian bread. lol

nagle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/08/01 22:48:46 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

NYC bagels don't even come close to Montreal style bagels in the flavour/texture department.

If you are ever in Montreal try them at  Fairmont Bagel on Fairmont Ave. or my favourite La Maison du Bagel on St. Viateur St. 
    essemjay58
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/08/02 00:13:22 (permalink)
    On a trip to NYC, several years back, the day we left we went to H & H Bagels and bought 3-4 dozen assorted.  Well, in last minute packing we were running short of room, they wound up in the wife's pillow.  Because my favorites are onion, you could smell that delicious aroma all through the plane the whole way to Minnesota!  Also, Robyn said her pillow smelled of onion bagels for weeks afterward!
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/08/27 22:05:17 (permalink)
    H & H is good but I don't know anyone that's had Just Bagels and not liked them better, and I know a lot of people that have tasted both...
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/08/27 22:07:05 (permalink)
    What New York bagels have you tasted?
    RobbyB
    Junior Burger
    Re:New York Old Fashion Bagels, the best 2010/08/27 22:14:38 (permalink)
    cavandre

As an ex-NYer now living in central FL, I had just about given up on finding any decent bagels in this area. Then I found Ray's New York Bagels in the frozen food section of Publix Supermarkets. You have to bake them for 6-7 minutes & they come out crunchy on the outside & chewy on the inside. Not the best bagel I've ever tasted, but I've had worse when I lived in the NYC area. Their website has a "Where to Buy" section that lets you see where to find them in your state.

Now if these guys could just do something similar with a NYC Hard Roll!

Ray doesn't make his own bagels, He buys them from Just Bagels and has them packaged under his name. You have to try this bagel fresh to appreciate how good it is. Fresh Direct is one of the many high end out lets in NYC that gets it delivered fresh daily...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1