New York bagels

Author
skipsor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2007/06/05 17:36:06 (permalink)

New York bagels

We'll be going to New York in a couple of months, first trip, and we'd like to know what and where some of the best bagel places?, bakeries?, are in the city. I'm not sure what you call a place that makes bagels.

Please jump in with your favorites. Thank you.

12 Replies Related Threads

FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: New York bagels 2007/06/05 17:51:21 (permalink)
    My absolute favorite is Bagel Hole in Park Slope Brooklyn- old school, small, chewy, flavorfull, fresh, REAL NY bagels- not those overstuffed, sugar filled softball sized monstrosoties you find at, say, an H&H. when you order at Bagel Hole, please ask what is hot and get it. i had a PERFECT everything bagel with cream cheese there yesterday- piping hot, barely takes any chewing (you could gum these bagels if you get them hot...), they melt in your mouth. none of the breadlike character of the bad bad bagels of the world- it's a whole different beast!
    also good are Ess-A-Bagel, and if you want smoked fish with your bagel, go to Russ and Daughters in the Lower East Side for some of the best smoked fish in the world. Russ is the last family owned Jewish Appetizer spot left in the LES and the good people at Russ hand select every single fish that goes into the case. they have incredible old school belly (salty) lox, many different kinds of Nova, incredible Sturgeon (the turkey of smoked fish), caviars and roes of all varieties and price ranges (my daughter loves the kindly priced trout roe- she has discovered malosall yet...), and great bagel outfits. try my favorite- a pumpernickel bagel with freshly whipped cream cheese, salty lox, red onion, and tomato. oh and russ is making GREAT old school chocolate egg creams these days- if you've never had a real ny chocolate egg cream this is about as close as you'll get these days.
    if you want to try Bialies, go around the corner from Russ to Kossar Bialies on Grand (?) also in the LES. but really, Bagel Hole on 7th avenue between 12th and 13th in Park Slope may very well be the king of NYC bagels. enjoy and report back on where you went and how you liked the bagelz! fb
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: New York bagels 2007/06/05 19:10:01 (permalink)
    A lotta people like H&H bagels on Broadway/80th St.Upper West Side near Zabar's. Alos Murray's Bagels on 6 Ave & 13. Try also Amy's Breads for yummy bread - Chelsea Market, also 9th Ave.

PS: A place to buy bagels in NY is called...(get ready)...."a bagel shop".
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: New York bagels 2008/12/28 19:38:31 (permalink)
    I'm going to Murrays Bagels tomorrow after seeing it on a tv show about great breakfast places!! any reviews, it looks like a really great traditional bagel place?????
    13th and 6th in NYC
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    RE: New York bagels 2008/12/28 19:46:36 (permalink)
    NYNM

A lotta people like H&H bagels on Broadway/80th St.Upper West Side near Zabar's. Alos Murray's Bagels on 6 Ave & 13. Try also Amy's Breads for yummy bread - Chelsea Market, also 9th Ave.

PS: A place to buy bagels in NY is called...(get ready)...."a bagel shop".
    God Bless NY bagels ... and pizza ... I lived in Yonkers (just over the line from The Bronx) growing up ... and I did not know it til I left.. that the greatest food in the world can be found in the greater NYC area .. I now live 60 miles east of Cincinnati and to get a great bagel or bialy or pizza requires a drive of 60 miles to the one bagel store in Cinci and one Pizza place that actually sells something like a bagel and bialy or pizza that actually tastes like something close to the NY versions...so enjoy NY and pig out...

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5109
    RE: New York bagels 2008/12/28 20:42:22 (permalink)
    FrankBooth

My absolute favorite is Bagel Hole in Park Slope Brooklyn- old school, small, chewy, flavorfull, fresh, REAL NY bagels- not those overstuffed, sugar filled softball sized monstrosoties you find at, say, an H&H. when you order at Bagel Hole, please ask what is hot and get it. i had a PERFECT everything bagel with cream cheese there yesterday- piping hot, barely takes any chewing (you could gum these bagels if you get them hot...), they melt in your mouth. none of the breadlike character of the bad bad bagels of the world- it's a whole different beast!
    also good are Ess-A-Bagel, and if you want smoked fish with your bagel, go to Russ and Daughters in the Lower East Side for some of the best smoked fish in the world. Russ is the last family owned Jewish Appetizer spot left in the LES and the good people at Russ hand select every single fish that goes into the case. they have incredible old school belly (salty) lox, many different kinds of Nova, incredible Sturgeon (the turkey of smoked fish), caviars and roes of all varieties and price ranges (my daughter loves the kindly priced trout roe- she has discovered malosall yet...), and great bagel outfits. try my favorite- a pumpernickel bagel with freshly whipped cream cheese, salty lox, red onion, and tomato. oh and russ is making GREAT old school chocolate egg creams these days- if you've never had a real ny chocolate egg cream this is about as close as you'll get these days.
    if you want to try Bialies, go around the corner from Russ to Kossar Bialies on Grand (?) also in the LES. but really, Bagel Hole on 7th avenue between 12th and 13th in Park Slope may very well be the king of NYC bagels. enjoy and report back on where you went and how you liked the bagelz! fb

I had the good fortune to attend a party today here in Dallas where ALL of the food was flown in from Russ & Daughters in NYC. All the smoked fish and bagels were, unbelievably, fantastic! 
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    RE: New York bagels 2008/12/28 21:04:31 (permalink)
    You mean Dallas can't produce NY style food?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: New York bagels 2008/12/28 21:30:54 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

Hah! Surly you jest, sir. 
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    Re:New York bagels 2009/01/07 18:25:58 (permalink)
    Last year when I went to visit our friends in Germany, I stopped at H&H just before we left for the airport. The bagels may have still been  warm when we landed in Frankfurt, just in time for breakfast.

However, Germans pride themselves on their own breakfasts, corncopia of breads, meats, cheeses, etc. and our bagels were overshadowed by the brown bread, pumpernickel, salted rolls, soft pretzels, pistachio seed rolls, Kasebrot, etc. I was surprised at that!
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:New York bagels 2009/01/07 18:59:57 (permalink)
    by the way murrays bagels on 6th was o.k. at best bagels were a little tough.  on the chewy side and the place was cramped and not set up real well!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:New York bagels 2009/01/07 19:18:39 (permalink)
    dannybotz

by the way murrays bagels on 6th was o.k. at best bagels were a little tough.  on the chewy side and the place was cramped and not set up real well!

From the sound of it, I'd say those bagels were, perfect. 
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    RE: New York bagels 2009/01/07 19:49:44 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

NYPIzzaNut

Hah! Surly you jest, sir.

They can't be much worse than Cincinnati in that regard.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: New York bagels 2009/01/07 19:54:08 (permalink)
    You may also want to try Kossars on Grand Street for excellent bialys. They are a few doors down from the donut plant. Just be sure to get there early in the day so you don't get "travelinmanned"...  

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1