New York's best cheesecakes

Author
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
2004/03/16 20:59:19 (permalink)

New York's best cheesecakes

New York Times has just published an article on the quest for NY's best cheesecake. My vote goes for Junior's in Brooklyn. The link also leads you an audio version of the article ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/17/dining/17CHEE.html

19 Replies Related Threads

Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 00:25:19 (permalink)
    Junior's is my favorite, too. I was shocked the last time I had one from the Carnegie Deli. Tasted like bad freezer burn, and we had to throw it out.

I like Eileen's very much...but not as much. Ironically, I just tried Two Little Red Hens for the first time, but didn't have the cheesecake (had the really nice apple crumb instead.) Next time....
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 06:19:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

Junior's is my favorite, too. I was shocked the last time I had one from the Carnegie Deli. Tasted like bad freezer burn, and we had to throw it out.

I like Eileen's very much...but not as much. Ironically, I just tried Two Little Red Hens for the first time, but didn't have the cheesecake (had the really nice apple crumb instead.) Next time....

We've had friends bring us stuff from Two Little Red Hens (it's in Brooklyn, yes?) when they visit. I'll have to ask them to bring some cheesecake next time.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 07:08:17 (permalink)
    I am partial to Junior's. However, JaneDough makes some of the best cheesecakes I have ever tasted!
    Salty
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 09:22:13 (permalink)
    Although it is probably a separate category, no discussion of NY cheesecake is complete without including Italian cheesecake. My personal favorite is the Torta di Ricotta at Ferrara's in Little Italy.

If we're limiting the discussion to the traditional cream cheese style cakes, then I would also vote for Junior's.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 10:01:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

We've had friends bring us stuff from Two Little Red Hens (it's in Brooklyn, yes?) when they visit. I'll have to ask them to bring some cheesecake next time.

The ones I know are in Manhattan, but they could be in Brooklyn.
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 10:27:09 (permalink)
    Everytime we wanted cheesecake growing up we went to Lindy's. Last year though we stopped in the roxy deli in times square. WOW! What a cheesecake. It is so much better than Lindy's, and thats saying a lot because Lindy's is still out of this world.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 10:29:39 (permalink)
    I agree with Salty (and welcome!). Many a year ago, after trips to a watering hole like Blue & Gold, followed by eats at Wo Ping in Chinatown, my friend Tom (who now owns the Village Idiot) and I would ride over the bridge to Junior's. We thought it was the best, but in later years I opted for Ferrara's.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 11:12:54 (permalink)
    The best I have ever had was at Peter Luger's. I have forgotten who they said they got it from.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/17 13:08:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Salty

Although it is probably a separate category, no discussion of NY cheesecake is complete without including Italian cheesecake. My personal favorite is the Torta di Ricotta at Ferrara's in Little Italy.

If we're limiting the discussion to the traditional cream cheese style cakes, then I would also vote for Junior's.

Yeah, the article considers Italian cheesecake a different category.
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/19 16:41:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

I am partial to Junior's. However, JaneDough makes some of the best cheesecakes I have ever tasted!

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/19 19:45:59 (permalink)
    I received a Junior's cheesecake catalog, and my spirits soared just looking at all of the yummy cakes....
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/19 21:15:51 (permalink)
    I used to love cheesecake, then I found out one of the main ingredients is cream cheese, and I don't like cream cheese.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2004/03/19 22:12:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

I used to love cheesecake, then I found out one of the main ingredients is cream cheese, and I don't like cream cheese.

There are european cheesecakes that are not made with cream cheese, such as those made with ricotta (Italian) or quark (German), although I guess both are variants of cream cheese ...
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2005/05/10 11:25:44 (permalink)
    I did a little more exploring on this trip to NYC than I have done in the past, and my running around took me into the Grand Central Terminal (I guess even though I can still hear my mother screeching about people coming in and out of the house like it was 'Grand Central Station', they prefer the use of the word 'Terminal').

I had not been to GCT since I was a kid too young to appreciate what an absolutely gorgeous building it is. My usual travels out from Long Island bring me through Penn Station, which, comparatively, is a dump. Apart from the gorgeous architecture and design, I followed my nose down to the dining area. What a fabulous place -- highlighted by the location of a Junior's. I am sure that New Yorkers -- or even people who get to NYC more frequently than I do already know that this place exists, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't have to go to Brooklyn (out of my way, often times) to get a slice of Junior's cheesecake - the best, as this thread seems to agree, in a city of cheesecakes (and fruitcakes, but that is a separate story).

I didn't get the name of it, and didn't have opportunity to try, but there was also a pie shop that I would like to hit the next time I am subterranian in the NYC. Has anyone else tried this place? It looked fantastic!

Steve
    sizz_leteen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2005/05/14 21:39:59 (permalink)
    Be still my heart...

I think I'm in LOVE!
    I gotta remember these places when I go to NY during the summer (hopefully).
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2005/05/15 20:33:59 (permalink)
    Nah, ricotta's got nothing to do with cream cheese. You got me with quark, however; always thought that was a subnuclear particle or something.

I live about a mile from Ferrara's, and you couldn't get me into the joint at gunpoint. I don't much care for Italian pastries in any case (except my ricotta cheesecake, of course) but everyone in our nabe goes to Veniero's or De Robertis, both near the corner of 11th St. and First Avenue.
    Tim C
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2005/06/02 15:03:49 (permalink)
    I know this is meant to be from New York City but I can't resist adding a dessert from New York State which I have no knowledge of its origin: the kahlua chocolate cheesecake made by nuns in New Skete, New York. It was a discovery of mine in the early 80s in the Berkshires, and the train between NYC and Albany sold it for a while. Who are these nuns anyhow and how did they start making cheesecake?
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2005/06/02 15:39:23 (permalink)
    Originally posted by marberthenad

New York Times has just published an article on the quest for NY's best
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: New York's best cheesecakes 2005/06/02 16:06:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tim C

I know this is meant to be from New York City but I can't resist adding a dessert from New York State which I have no knowledge of its origin: the kahlua chocolate cheesecake made by nuns in New Skete, New York. It was a discovery of mine in the early 80s in the Berkshires, and the train between NYC and Albany sold it for a while. Who are these nuns anyhow and how did they start making cheesecake?

Go to www.newskete.com The nuns and their cheesecakes were just featured on The Food Network's Secret Life of Cheesecakes, airing again 6/4/05.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1