The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New business, doing Shave Ice

Rubyshaveice

• Total Posts: 25
New business, doing Shave Ice Fri, 09/30/11 2:54 PM (permalink)
First!
I've been doing some Shave Ice business lately and I like it so I want to make a trailer and expand my horizons a little with this.
The Health Dept requires that I store the trailer at a commissary and I have to keep the syrups there too. It seems odd. My trailer is a box with a sink. I sell Ice and sugar, not Sushi and Kobe beef. What the?

As I understand the HD requirements, I don't think anyone I see at local events has proper paperwork, I see vendors from other counties that don't have any of the things the HD says I need. Generally I'm finding going legit confusing because no one seems to be following regulations. I want to do it right.

I'm also toying with giving 10% of proceeds to water.org, as it's something I care about. Are there any pitfalls to that?

Lastly, I just put up a website, I still need pics, but any feedback would be appreciated.
w w W dot  dot com
Thanks

<message edited by Rubyshaveice on Sat, 10/1/11 1:02 AM>

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Fri, 09/30/11 5:18 PM (permalink)
    1st you ask "Can I wink at this requirement?".

Then you said "I want to do it right." Which is it? LOL
    My best advice is do it right and you never have to worry. And once a HD finds out your trying to skirt the rules they'll be watching you like a hawk.

Now another subject Are you doing shaved ice or snow cones? I just bought this unit and in fact haven't even tried it yet. What brand are you using and what company are you getting your syrups from?

Echols Model 203 Big Max Ice Shaver

Shaves up to 1,500 lbs. of ice per hour. The Echols Ice Shaver has been in the food and concession industry for over 75 years. Just like Cretors, Echols creates products that combine innovative thinking and dependable designs that provide solutions to foodservice operators.
    Constructed of heavy duty cast aluminum, this machine has the power to handle heavy work loads. Its strong construction ensures years of service. The Echols Shaver will accept any ice from cubes to chunks up to 41/2" in diameter. Optional leak-proof lighted display case, or stand is available. Comes complete with nylon ladle, ice scoop, ice pick and 6 ounce cup dispenser. Available in electric power only.

PLEASE NOTE: PRICES ARE USA VOLTAGE ONLY
    Availability: In Stock $1,925.00   Each

<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Fri, 09/30/11 8:22 PM>

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
      Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Fri, 09/30/11 6:21 PM (permalink)
      hard to do it right and wink too... my h/d has a web site to E- mail questions to, where when I was starting out i visited quite often to get clarification to what I thought were specific to me.. they responded very promptly and I had written proof just in case later.

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
        Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Fri, 09/30/11 6:41 PM (permalink)
        hard to do it right and wink too... my h/d has a web site to E- mail questions to, where when I was starting out i visited quite often to get clarification to what I thought were specific to me.. they responded very promptly and I had written proof just in case later.

Rubyshaveice

Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Sat, 10/1/11 12:59 AM (permalink)
          Impressive machine! Don't stand too close! It looks powerful enough to suck you inside! And if food concessions aren't working out, not worries, open a ski resort and use it to make snow!

I'm making my own syrups from natural ingredients. So far I have strawberry, coconut, peach, and blueberry.

JodyP

• Total Posts: 322
            Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Sat, 10/1/11 8:01 AM (permalink)
            Wishing you good luck with the shaved ice business, we do Shaved Ice at warm weather events here in Georgia. Actually have a fundraiser to do this afternoon and the temperature is only going to be in the mid 60’s.  We have about 30 flavors plus do a couple of specialty cups using the ice and various toppings. Next year we are only going to target family events and sports venues with the ice. It’s a fun business.  

SR-71

• Total Posts: 15
              Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Sun, 10/23/11 12:10 AM (permalink)
              I'm interested in a shave ice machine, but don't have access to one to test something out.

Can it double as an ice cube substitute for drinks? In other words, instead of making a shave ice with syrup, what happens if you put some in a cup and mix it with soda. Is it like a slushy? An ICEE? Does it just melt too fast? What is the consistency?

Rubyshaveice

Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Wed, 10/26/11 9:44 AM (permalink)
                Yes it'd be slushy. Won't work for making cubes for a drink.

adrain0007

• Total Posts: 3
                  Re:New business, doing Shave Ice Tue, 11/8/11 3:58 PM (permalink)
                  I bought a Benchmark ice shaver sno cone machine.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com