The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New forum format

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 3 of 6, messages 61 to 90 of 177
CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 10:30 AM (permalink)
Stephen

Thank you for ALL your hard work in bringing us this software change.  The new site does have  LOTS more to offer.

I played around yesterday with the site and found most features, that the old software had.

Change is not always easy, so Thank You again.

Some of the features I like that the old software didnt have

Online User List - It's cool to see where and what people are doing (and just how many search engine bots there are)

On the left below the poster's name it gives location and stats - the old software you had to click on the name to find out where someone was from.

The search engine is MUCH faster and more accurate

Carlton Pierre came out of retirement
<message edited by CajunKing on Fri, 12/19/08 10:33 AM>

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
    Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
    A good fast easy read book is Who Moved My Cheese?. It might be worth reading if you are stressed out about this forum change.

MiamiDon

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
      Has anyone figured out where the Roadfood Insider photos went?  I cannot find mine, as the tab at the top of the Forums pages has disappeared.

Tumbleweed365

• Total Posts: 178
        Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 10:43 AM (permalink)
        I too am SLOWLY getting accustomed to the new functions, but the no contrast in color and small type size are getting me down.
         I find myself  with my nose just about on the screen, a headache, and a very sore back after a short time of trying out the new 'toys'.
        If there is some way to adjust the display font size ALL THE TIME, I can't find it and the white/grey colors just don't assist me.
        But thanks for bringing us old farts into the modern age, abet kicking and screaming.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2014
          Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:14 AM (permalink)
          I think one of the reasons for the forum software upgrade was because the old forum software most likely would not run on current windows platforms (vista). This wasn't stated out-right by the Admin, but it was indicated the old forum software was about or more ten years old(?????).

So this was good fore thought, rather than waiting until a hardware failure and having to rebuild the forum and install new servers at the same time.  The forum would have been off-line several days if that had happened and someone would have been working night & day to restore the forum.

I know, I've been though this with a web-server.

JudgeMaven

• Total Posts: 30
            Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:14 AM (permalink)
            When I click on "Search This Topic" and enter in a search term, the software searches all the forums and not just within the topic. Any ideas (besides CTL + F)?

I don't live in the USA but the software won't let me display another country :(.

And while i am sure this has been discussed 1000 times, how do I make the pictures larger? I am logged in.
            <message edited by JudgeMaven on Fri, 12/19/08 11:18 AM>

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
              Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:24 AM (permalink)
              I hate this new format.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:37 AM (permalink)
                brittneal

I hate this new format.

I hate having to scroll over to the right to read the posts.
                <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Fri, 12/19/08 11:41 AM>

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                  Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:41 AM (permalink)

Davydd

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
                    It appears you would need a 1024 wide pixel monitor to read these forums without need for scrolling.

Michael Hoffman

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:49 AM (permalink)
                      Davydd

It appears you would need a 1024 wide pixel monitor to read these forums without need for scrolling.

Ah, so I'd have to go out in these economic times and purchase a new monitor in order to be able to read posts on Roadfood. What a great idea.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:54 AM (permalink)
                        I just changed the background color to match the last forum.  What do people think?

Tony Bad

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 11:59 AM (permalink)
                          Michael Hoffman

Ah, so I'd have to go out in these economic times and purchase a new monitor in order to be able to read posts on Roadfood. What a great idea.

Based on this picture of your computer you posted a while back, I am not sure you have room for a bigger monitor...

Seriously...if you think you want a new monitor I have several I don't need or you can look on your local craigs list and probably find one for free. Many people switch to flat panels and give away the old CRT type montors.

Michael Hoffman

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:03 PM (permalink)
                            Thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested in a new monitor. The one I have is only 11 years old.

PopsDogHouse

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:04 PM (permalink)
                              I can appreciate the need for a better, more powerful forum.  Being visually impaired, this new format is very difficult for me to read.  The new forum is also very bland and sterile.  My time here will be very limited.  Certainly my problem, not yours.

Davydd

Michael Hoffman

Davydd

If that will help boost the economy, yes!

Seriously though, I'm guessing this may not be the only web site giving you scroll grief. The defacto web site design setups for the most part are assuming 1024 pixel wide monitors because anything smaller hasn't been sold for years now. I know Apple hasn't sold anything smaller for several years, maybe close to 10. We've gone from 640 x 480 as the CRT standard to 800 x 600 and now 1024 x 768 as the minimum LCD standard for computer monitors.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Hoffman, I might have some 8-track cartridges to compliment your computer monitor.

Michael Hoffman

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:05 PM (permalink)
                                    I don't see any change in background color. It's still all white.

Michael Hoffman

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                      Davydd

Michael Hoffman

Davydd

If that will help boost the economy, yes!

Seriously though, I'm guessing this may not be the only web site giving you scroll grief. The defacto web site design setups for the most part are assuming 1024 pixel wide monitors because anything smaller hasn't been sold for years now. I know Apple hasn't sold anything smaller for several years, maybe close to 10. We've gone from 640 x 480 as the CRT standard to 800 x 600 and now 1024 x 768 as the minimum LCD standard for computer monitors.

It is the only one causing the problem.

Davydd

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                        Can we look on the brighter side of things? I haven't seen any Nyquil ads spilled all over my messages (yet).

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                          Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:15 PM (permalink)
                                          Bill I think you should replace the title banner at the top with that picture.  It's kind of perfect.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                            DavyDD, you are the first to publicly acknowledge the lack of ads.

We decided to keep the forums ad-free through Christmas - happy holidays!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                              Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                              bill voss

MiamiDon

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                                When I select "Today's Posts" it does not just show today's posts.  What am I missing here?  Is there any way to make that work?  I tried two ways, the first using the drop-down menu, the second using the bar across the top of the message area, and I clicked on Apply.  No dice.

Tony Bad

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                                  MiamiDon

When I select "Today's Posts" it does not just show today's posts.  What am I missing here?  Is there any way to make that work?  I tried two ways, the first using the drop-down menu, the second using the bar across the top of the message area, and I clicked on Apply.  No dice.

It works for me...showing posts made within the past 24 hours...so technically not "today", but within past 24 hours. Are you getting the past 24 hours or just everything?

MiamiDon

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                                    OK, that's what it's doing.  It's going back to 1:00 P.M. yesterday.

Davydd

Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                                      MiamiDon

Today's Posts are 24 hours? I'd recommend you select Posts since last visit especially if you sign on about every day or more than once per day. It shows you the threads with new posts and will real time update every time you select it. It would also gap, for instance, a 30 hour period away. I probably would only use Today's Posts if I had been offline an extended period and wanted to not get engulfed with threads weeks or days old that are no longer active. I would select Forum Menu (and not any of the sub menus) if I wanted to browse all of Roadfood.com to catch up or maybe want to revisit a thread that I have already read.

sunnyside up

• Total Posts: 126
                                                        • Location: Youngstown, OH
                                                        Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                                        Reminds me of coming home in the dark after the wife has rearranged the furniture. It is all still there, but  in a new location. I seem to trip over a few things for a few minutes but eventually find my way to the kitchen again.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                                          • Location: Batavia, OH
                                                          Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                                          Twinwillow

And, why were almost 100 postings removed?

I too lost more than 100 posts; I was at 985, within striking distance of 1000.

I don't tremendously dislike the new format; it will grow on me. But I'd like my post count back.

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                            Re:New forum format Fri, 12/19/08 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                                            For all those complaining about reading small text and scrolling look what I am putting up with on my iPhone.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 3 of 6, messages 61 to 90 of 177

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com