The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 121
Vic Cardenas

• Total Posts: 177
New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Fri, 02/10/12 7:50 PM (permalink)
Hi. I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Vic, in salt lake city.
Me and my wife are starting a food truck business serving Peruvian cuisine. The business name is "Como Lomo". In november I bought a 1983 Chevy P30 that was outfitted by AA Cater Truck.  It already has a 3' flat top, 40lb fryer, 3 hotel pan steam table, a large aluminum hot water tank below the steam table, a large sandwich station fridge, hoods, 3 basin sink, hand wash, lots of shelving and storage, a coffee dispenser, a big ice bin to put drinks on the service side, a pass-through warmer, two large service doors, freshwater and wastewater tanks... pretty much everything you can imagine a proper food truck should have...

I'm just fixing some stuff here and there to get it in tip-top shape. Hopefully I'll be open by summer.

Anyway... sounds like there's lots of knowledgeable food truck folk here.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Fri, 02/10/12 8:43 PM (permalink)
    Welcome to Road Food, and good luck in your new business.
    Or should I say Diviértete y buena suerte ...is that right LOL

Are you serving both beef and chicken Empanadas?

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Fri, 02/10/12 9:18 PM (permalink)
      Thank you. Yeah, "have fun and good luck" is what you're trying to say? I'm not fluent in spanish, just learning. I was born in denver. My wife on the other hand is peruvian.

I thought about serving empanadas when I first came up with the concept. But, I scratched that idea, too much work! Empanadas aren't really a big peruvian staple food. They eat them, and they have their own special ways to differentiate them from other countries empanadas. But, it doesn't really scream "peruvian food" by selling empanadas. Much like peruvians have (superior) Tamales too, but when I think peruvian food, I don't think empanadas and tamales. I will be serving more "Traditional", Modern Peruvian Cuisine. For example... Lomo Saltado, Pollo Saltado, Aji de Gallina, Ceviche Limeño, Quinoa Andina will be my main items. I plan to rotate specials like Escabeche, Juanes, Causa, Seco de Cordero, various ceviches, Bistec a lo Pobre, Arroz a la Cubana, Tallarin Saltado, Arroz con Pollo, Chifa, Tacu-Tacu, etc...

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Fri, 02/10/12 9:28 PM (permalink)
        I'm from the Midwest and don't know what any of those items are will your customers? If not be prepared to give away a ton of samples so they become rock solid customers. And I'd' bet you'll not have a lot of competition with the more traditional fare? right?

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Fri, 02/10/12 10:15 PM (permalink)
          No, I doubt too many 'gringos' will know what they are either. Although we do have more than a few peruvian restaurants here that the 'foodies' gravitate towards. And we do have a very large peruvian population here, permanent and temp workers for the ski resorts.

Yeah, samples and education is mandatory.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
            Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sat, 02/11/12 12:55 PM (permalink)
            Welcome Vic!

Peruvian cuisine is trending!!! 

I do not think there are any in this area (yet) but this is a popular Peruvian truck in San Francisco!!

http://www.sanguchonsf.com/

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 1:50 PM (permalink)
              Can't post links yet. The owner of sanguchon also has a michelin star restaurant, La Costanera. So, the food truck must be good too!

There is also one other peruvian food truck I'm aware of, in Los Angeles; Lomo Arigato.

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 1:58 PM (permalink)
                I have seen many food bloggers declare that Peruvian food is the next "it" food! I hope they find you and the news travels fast!

Here's the link for Lomo Arigato...

http://www.lomoarigato.com/

There might be one in Miami too.

<message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 02/12/12 2:04 PM>

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 2:07 PM (permalink)
                  Another south american truck that serves alot of peruvian stuff is Aji Mobile Foods out of Phoenix AZ.

EDIT: Thanks! Yeah, I hope they find me! I'll need the business! LOL
                  <message edited by Vic Cardenas on Sun, 02/12/12 2:13 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 2:12 PM (permalink)

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 2:15 PM (permalink)
                      Vic Cardenas

Another south american truck that serves alot of peruvian stuff is Aji Mobile Foods out of Phoenix AZ.

EDIT: Thanks! Yeah, I hope they find me! I'll need the business! LOL

Keep coming and we will give them a hot tip about you...so they can say they were right!

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 2:17 PM (permalink)
                        Yeah, I'll be around. I've still got a few technical details to work out on the build of my truck. I'll post a few HELP threads maybe.

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 2:44 PM (permalink)
                          This is from the day I bought it. Still dirty. I'll post pics of it's current condition. I've changed a few things here and there.

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Sun, 02/12/12 2:57 PM (permalink)
                            Nice truck!
                            I think I will go sip on a chicha morada while you are in the technical phase....so nothing breaks!

I will see you at ceviche!

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                              Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Mon, 02/13/12 3:57 PM (permalink)
                              You could do a Seco De Pollo which always excellent and addictive, but the price of fresh saffron is out of the roof! 
                              <message edited by AndreaB on Mon, 02/13/12 4:00 PM>

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Mon, 02/13/12 6:56 PM (permalink)
                                CCinNJ

Nice truck!
                                I think I will go sip on a chicha morada while you are in the technical phase....so nothing breaks!

I will see you at ceviche!

Thanks for the support! lol

AndreaB

You could do a Seco De Pollo which always excellent and addictive, but the price of fresh saffron is out of the roof! 

That's interesting. I've never seen, or heard of, Seco de Pollo. I've also never seen anybody incorporate saffron into the recipe. Usually it's just cilantro and Huacatay (black mint) that are the main ingredients in the sauce.  I've eaten Seco de Cordero (lamb), Seco de Cabrito (goat) and Seco de Carne (beef) before. I LOVE Seco!!! I was thinking about doing seco de cordero or carne as a rotating special. I make a MEAN seco.

Where have you eaten seco de pollo, Andrea?

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Mon, 02/13/12 7:28 PM (permalink)
                                  Will you be serving rachi?

It sells well in Queens. Don't know about how it would do in SLC.

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Mon, 02/13/12 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                    Uhhhh, I think that would be a hard sell here.
                                    I'd love to do Anticuchos because I LOVE Anticuchos, but I'm not sure that utah is ready for that.

You sure do know a lot about "The Cuisine". Have you been to Peru?
                                    <message edited by Vic Cardenas on Mon, 02/13/12 11:36 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Mon, 02/13/12 11:51 PM (permalink)
                                      No...my brother-in-law grew up in Queens... but he was born in Ecuador. In this area you can find some dishes from both Peru & Ecuador in both types of restaurants.

It may be something that happened here...in the local community.

Rachi is a weekend-only dish but it sells. Maybe because another trait of people here is that when they know that something is only available at certain times of the week...they want it. Even rachi! It sells for like $9 against all of the other options.
                                      <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 02/13/12 11:55 PM>

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                        Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Tue, 02/14/12 3:37 AM (permalink)

AndreaB

That's interesting. I've never seen, or heard of, Seco de Pollo. I've also never seen anybody incorporate saffron into the recipe. Usually it's just cilantro and Huacatay (black mint) that are the main ingredients in the sauce.  I've eaten Seco de Cordero (lamb), Seco de Cabrito (goat) and Seco de Carne (beef) before. I LOVE Seco!!! I was thinking about doing seco de cordero or carne as a rotating special. I make a MEAN seco.

Where have you eaten seco de pollo, Andrea?

An Ecuadorian lady gave me her recipe - it's basically chicken, garlic, salt, cumin, saffron, chopped onions and red bell peppers, and fresh cilantro and is served over rice.  It's simmered slowly in a covered pot and stirred and you let the moisture from the lid of the pot drip into the mixture.  It's delicious and I'd make it more often if saffron was not so outrageous!
                                        <message edited by AndreaB on Tue, 02/14/12 3:40 AM>

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Tue, 02/14/12 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                          Sounds good! Maybe try getting the cheap dried saffron you can find in the mexican stores. See how that turns out. I'd imagine that the garlic, onions, cilantro are the dominant flavors anyhow.

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                            Will you be serving Inca Kola?

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 2:15 PM (permalink)
                                              Absolutely

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 3:15 PM (permalink)
                                                Cool. That is very very popular here. In a different way vs. the rachi. Rachi is more of a "ohhh come on...just try it you big baby."

mofood

• Total Posts: 117
                                                  Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  Can't wait to see you up and running! Hopefully I'll have a thread of my own very soon. Salt Lake is going to be a food truck town very soon, I hope ;)

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                                    mofood

Can't wait to see you up and running! Hopefully I'll have a thread of my own very soon. Salt Lake is going to be a food truck town very soon, I hope ;)

Thanks! When do you anticipate you'll be open? If they pass the food truck "court" ordinances in SLC do you want to park there? I've talked to the TortaTruck and In 'D Place and they're game. I think it'd be great to set up a food court, depending on the location. What kind of food are you serving? 

CCinNJ

Cool. That is very very popular here. In a different way vs. the rachi. Rachi is more of a "ohhh come on...just try it you big baby."

Yeah, every time I go to a peruvian restaurant here, nearly every table has a 2 liter sitting there.

CCinNJ

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                                      Salt Lake City is going to be a mighty fine food truck destination.

The Chow Truck looks wonderful.

Keep talking and maybe they will show up with some calamari and root chips...for us!!

Vic Cardenas

Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 11:26 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hopefully that's the case. I hope to set up a nice mobile food court somewhere in the city once the ordinance is passed (and it most likely will be). I definitely won't have more than a few trucks there at one time. I think 3-5 should be the max.

The chow truck... meh. I don't have much good to say about it. It's OK.
                                                        <message edited by Vic Cardenas on Sun, 03/4/12 5:44 PM>

CCinNJ

• Location: Bayonne, NJ
                                                          Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Wed, 02/15/12 11:40 PM (permalink)
                                                          This is why it pays to have friends. I will stick to the Peruvian truck in SLC.

Their site is tight. We will talk to them about the chips when they get here. Lol

That should be fun. I need to learn how to solder and stuff.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2227
                                                            • Location: Kennewick, WA
                                                            Re:New here. Working on a Peruvian food truck for SLC, UT Thu, 02/16/12 3:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            Hi Vc, welcome to Roadfood, I hope your new business does well. The Lomo Saltada could be used for many apps, Peruvian tacos, burritos, Pan Con Chicharron can be used for a Torta and then a Cubano sandwich. The Pollo La Brasa would also be great to have, served with Papas, I know it would be hard to do on Rotisserie, but Roasted would also be great...........If I make it through Salt lake city this year, I'll look you up..........................pnwc

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 121

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com