New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's

Author
huntryce
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
2005/03/15 12:36:26 (permalink)

New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's

Over on Knox Abbott Drive, the old Constantine's restaurant is being reopened as a BBQ spot. (Not yet open as of 3/14/05) Anyone ever heard of Po Pig's? Sign out front claims "Authentic Carolina Barbecue."

That doesn't tell me much... 'cept it'll be pork....

10 Replies Related Threads

CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/15 14:39:36 (permalink)
    Huntryce -

It's been in process of going up for about 6 months - I drive by it every day into work. If (and when) it opens, I'll be anxious to try.

BTW - have you tried Oak Grove BBQ? Read pretty good review of it a few weeks ago - not far from where I live.

Going on trip through all of Tennessee in a few weeks, anxious to sample some 'cue up there.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/15 15:10:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Huntryce -

It's been in process of going up for about 6 months - I drive by it every day into work. If (and when) it opens, I'll be anxious to try.

BTW - have you tried Oak Grove BBQ? Read pretty good review of it a few weeks ago - not far from where I live.

Going on trip through all of Tennessee in a few weeks, anxious to sample some 'cue up there.

If you are driving through Tennessee, please let me suggest the following:

http://www.tnribs.com/

This neat place is located in Erwin, TN and is located in a beautiful town. Be sure to get the cowboy beans and his special cake which has pineapple icing and mandarin orange cake. Pulled pork is great and so are the ribs. Shrimp is delicious.

In Lexington, TN is Hays Smokehouse. It is located off I-40 about 20 miles east of Jackson. You will totally enjoy it. It is only open 3 days a week which is Thursday, Friday and Saturday. You will see numerous mentions on the BBQ forum.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/15 16:37:21 (permalink)
    Will have to try Oak Grove. It's near Barnyard Flea Market, right? I have heard Porky's somewhere out that way is supposed to be good. You?

Drove past Po Pig's last night and a crew was working on the place. Shouldn't be long now.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/16 09:56:03 (permalink)
    Oak Grove is right behind Barnyard on Oak Dr. Porly D's is out that way too on Two Notch Road. They have good yellow 'cue and GREAT ribs. Only open weekends.

Despite fact of living out that way for 10 years, have never been to Hite's BBQ on Dreher Rd behind old Wal Mart. Any thoughts on that place.

BTW - my favorite BBQ buffet in Columbia is still Little Pigs at I-20 and Alpine Rd in northeast. I like their red 'cue and their pepper and vinegar 'cue.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/16 09:58:39 (permalink)
    Sundancer -

Have read quite a bit about tnribs up in Erwin on here - this is best marketing tool that they ever had! Erwin is actually one of my favorite little towns and surprisingly close enough that I could daytrip on a nice day up there to check it out, esp since I-26 was completed up through there. (I live almost directly on 26 here in SC).
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/16 10:12:10 (permalink)
    CarolinaBill,

By all means check out Hite's. They're one of a dwindling number of spots in SC that make real barbecue by cooking over live coals. They are take out only and like many old line SC barbecue joints, they're open on Friday and Saturday only, 8-6. Great hash.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/16 14:01:10 (permalink)
    Will make a point of going by Hite's this weekend.

Drove by Po Pigs this afternoon at lunch - they are open for business!
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/16 14:39:25 (permalink)
    Thanks! Will have to try them tonight. Hope it's the real thing.
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/17 10:15:41 (permalink)
    OK! Here's my report on Po Pigs, Knox Abbott Drive, Cayce SC:

First, so the wood-burning purists don't have to waste their time - the meat is cooked over gas flame (Argh!) with hickory chips thrown in for some smoke. George, who appeared to be the proprietor, explained that it is near impossible to get a DHEC permit to burn wood these days.

I had the buffet. It held the largest selection of choices I think I've every seen. Pulled pork, barbecued chicken, fried chicken, fish stew, chicken stew, two types of hash, rice, hush puppies, and I can't tell you how many different veggies were available. Limas, tomatoes, squash cassarole, creamed corn and more. And Mac-n-cheese.

THE MEAT: Tender, moist, and tasty. Sometimes a bit salty. But not smokey by any means. Very good roast pork. The tray of meat offered chunks of darker outside pieces as well as the tender shreds.

SAUCES: Four are available on every table. Carolina Red (similar to Lexington NC I guess), Midlands Mustard (a thin, sweet mustard base), PeeDee Pepper (colorless vinegar and pepper), and Orangeburg something... I didn't try it. Frankly, I prefer no sauce. Bare meat.

I didn't sample the chicken but both choices looked very good. Would I go back? Yep. Well worth the money ($8+ something for buffet) even though the smoke's not there.

Here's the must-try: The FISH STEW! It's in a tomato base with diced potatoes and other veggies. Very very good. Rich flavor. Tender bites of fish. I'd go back for that.

I know there are little glitches any new place must work out. Po Pig's had a few minor ones: There was one dear lady, helping with the wait staff, who didn't want to leave the diners alone. She was over-eager. A little annoying. Also, I had asked for some menus to take with me; they had none yet.

Worth a visit. Check them out and see if you concur.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New in Columbia SC: Po Pig's 2005/03/17 14:53:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report. Sounds worth a try though I usually wait a couple of weeks for new place to iron out the kinks. The gas cooking doesn't really bug me too much since so many places use it now. Definitely sounds better than my lunch today - group outing and since mostly women we naturally had to go to Kat N' Kleaver. They all love that place for some reason. Personally, I think "Kat N' Kleaver" sounds like a bad name for a Chinese restaurant.....OOPS, MAJOR PC VIOLATION!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1