The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

New name in the fried chicken game

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 1:00 PM (permalink)
And coming to Clinton, Iowa of all places.

I wasn't planning on hitting that part of the state when I visit in April but curiosity just might get the better of me.

Brad

buffetbuster

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 1:17 PM (permalink)
    Yeah, boyeeeeeee!!!!!

Because when I think of Flava Flav, obviously, Iowa is the first place that comes to mind!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
      Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 1:38 PM (permalink)
      Now, here's the bigger question: What the heck is "New York-style fried chicken"?

Since when has New York (I'm assuming he's referring to Manhattan) become a hot bed of Fried Chicken activity?

Buddy

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 1:44 PM (permalink)
        BuddyRoadhouse

Now, here's the bigger question: What the heck is "New York-style fried chicken"?

Since when has New York (I'm assuming he's referring to Manhattan) become a hot bed of Fried Chicken activity?

Buddy

Buddy,

The answer is always,
        Some of the legendary soul food establishments ie Sylvia's has been serving it for decades

Sfreader

• Total Posts: 503
          Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 4:08 PM (permalink)
          His anouncement that he will be giving Col. Sanders a run for his money doesn't make it sound like a place I would make a point of visiting.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
            Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 4:14 PM (permalink)
            wanderingjew

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Buddy,

The answer is always,
            Some of the legendary soul food establishments ie Sylvia's has been serving it for decades

To your point, there's a new Nashville stye hot chicken joint in the Bed-Sty area:

Peaches HotHouse is the little sister to Peaches Restaurant in Stuyvesant Heights. An urban “country cafe” the HotHouse features great Southern regional classics such as Shrimp and Grits, Oyster Po’ Boys, Gumbo and Black Eyed Peas with Country Ham.
            The main event will be Nashville Style Hot Chicken! Crispy, Juicy and Spicy all at once Hot Chicken is not for the faint of heart, but it sure is delicious.
            415 Tompkins Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11216  - 718.483.9111

<message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 01/25/11 4:18 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 4:36 PM (permalink)
              I would give it a go..

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 4:41 PM (permalink)
                Foodbme

To your point, there's a new Nashville stye hot chicken joint in the Bed-Sty area:

Peaches HotHouse is the little sister to Peaches Restaurant in Stuyvesant Heights. An urban “country cafe” the HotHouse features great Southern regional classics such as Shrimp and Grits, Oyster Po’ Boys, Gumbo and Black Eyed Peas with Country Ham.
                The main event will be Nashville Style Hot Chicken! Crispy, Juicy and Spicy all at once Hot Chicken is not for the faint of heart, but it sure is delicious.
                415 Tompkins Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11216  - 718.483.9111

Paging Billyboy!

Foodbme

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 01/25/11 4:43 PM (permalink)
                  Iowa needs another Chicken Joint like Oprah Winfrey needs another sister!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                    Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 1:25 AM (permalink)
                    wanderingjew and Foodbme,

I'm not denying that there's good fried chicken to be had in NYC.  I'm just saying that fried chicken doesn't strike me as having its roots in, or being an organic part of the New York food scene.  Even the example cited, Sylvia's, as noted is a soul food joint, implying that, although located in The Big Apple, it still has it's culinary roots in the deep south.

In other words, they may serve fried chicken in a soul food place in NYC, but the fried chicken tradition, the method used to cook it, the recipe, etc., all comes from elsewhere.  As another example: Stroud's may open a location in New York, but it will still be serving Kansas City style fried chicken.

So, once again, I ask, "What the heck is New York-style fried chicken"?  What, if anything, differentiates it from Southern Fried Chicken, Maryland Fried Chicken, Barberton Fried Chicken, Stroud's Fried Chicken, or any other form of Fired Chicken not yet mentioned?

Buddy

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
                      Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 2:07 AM (permalink)
                      Just a little East of good old New Jersey fried chicken!!

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1929
                        Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 6:16 AM (permalink)
                        Iowa needs another chicken joint like Oprah Winfrey needs another family SECRET! 

MellowRoast

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 6:22 AM (permalink)
                          All seriousness aside, I'm always glad to find a good fried chicken place.  Whoever he iz, I hope Colonel Flava Flav's NYFC does well.  

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 8:10 AM (permalink)
                            BuddyRoadhouse

wanderingjew and Foodbme,

I'm not denying that there's good fried chicken to be had in NYC.  I'm just saying that fried chicken doesn't strike me as having its roots in, or being an organic part of the New York food scene.  Even the example cited, Sylvia's, as noted is a soul food joint, implying that, although located in The Big Apple, it still has it's culinary roots in the deep south.

In other words, they may serve fried chicken in a soul food place in NYC, but the fried chicken tradition, the method used to cook it, the recipe, etc., all comes from elsewhere.  As another example: Stroud's may open a location in New York, but it will still be serving Kansas City style fried chicken.

So, once again, I ask, "What the heck is New York-style fried chicken"?  What, if anything, differentiates it from Southern Fried Chicken, Maryland Fried Chicken, Barberton Fried Chicken, Stroud's Fried Chicken, or any other form of Fired Chicken not yet mentioned?

Buddy

Buddy,

I can't provide an answer if there is a type of fried chicken whose origin began in New York, I'm not certain and it would surprise me if there were. As far as whether it's  an organic part of the NY food scene, as a native New Yorker I believe that it is, especially when comparing it to other Roadfood restaurants  in NY that are still discussed (ie. Jewish Deli's) Certainly their roots are here in NY but considering that as much as I like them as the next guy, I no longer think they're still an integral part of the NY food scene, at least from this  local's persepective.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                              Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 8:32 AM (permalink)
                              Foodbme or MellowRoast:
                              So where, exactly, are the existing great fried chicken places in Iowa?  I'd love to find some, since I'm right up the road in Minnesota.  But I've had no luck. Great pork, yes.  Good steaks, certainly.  Maytag blue cheese, absolutely!  Even good "red sauce" Italian food in Des Moines.  But I've not found any good fried chicken. Please enlighten me!  Is there something comparable to Stroud's or Hollyhock Hill or even Hodak's?

Foodbme

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                rumaki

Foodbme or MellowRoast:
                                So where, exactly, are the existing great fried chicken places in Iowa?

Look at the 1st Post!

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                                  Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                  I read the original post, and the link.  All it talks about is this new chicken joint that  Flava Flav is going to launch, and that he claims will challenge KFC.

MY question is -- because two subsequent posters suggested no new chicken places are necessary in Iowa -- what are the GOOD fried chicken places that already exist there, so that no new places are necessary?  Surely you don't suggest that KFC qualifies.  I'm asking: what are the good fried chicken places (comparable to Stroud's) in Iowa now?

I went to Stone's of Marshalltown years ago, before it closed, reopened, and then closed again. The fried chicken was OK, but nothing spectacular. 

MellowRoast

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Wed, 01/26/11 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                    My remark was a joke in response to Foodbme's remark.
                                    <message edited by MellowRoast on Wed, 01/26/11 5:02 PM>

ScreamingChicken

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Thu, 01/27/11 9:49 AM (permalink)
                                      And it only gets better...

Clinton's also home to DJ's Rib Shack and based on what I can find online it apparently serves some pretty good food.  Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade Clinton from "stop if I get a chance" to "make a decent effort to get there".

Brad

ScreamingChicken

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Mon, 04/25/11 3:23 PM (permalink)

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3555
                                          Re:New name in the fried chicken game Mon, 04/25/11 8:26 PM (permalink)
                                          Yeah....just read that. Four months and not paying the employees. Easy come easy go!

buffetbuster

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Mon, 04/25/11 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                            Hard to believe such a great idea like this didn't make it. 

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3555
                                              Re:New name in the fried chicken game Mon, 04/25/11 8:58 PM (permalink)
                                              Just wait.....you'll see "Flav Krystals" at Walmart soon!

ScreamingChicken

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 04/26/11 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                                buffetbuster

Hard to believe such a great idea like this didn't make it. 

From my POV, they couldn't have waited another 2 weeks to break up?  I was thinking about trying to work in a stop there this coming Sunday!

Maybe there'll still be something I can fish out of the dumpster or grease bin.

Brad

buffetbuster

Re:New name in the fried chicken game Tue, 04/26/11 12:39 PM (permalink)
                                                  Brad-
                                                  According to the clock Flavor Flav wears around his neck, it was time to go.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com