New to the game! What can you tell me about generators/batteries? I'm all ears!

Author
goldcoast
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/07/16 02:49:07 (permalink)

New to the game! What can you tell me about generators/batteries? I'm all ears!

Hello all, I am opening a concession trailer in Florida. I have no idea how big of a generator I need. I have a 72" hood and fan setup, an A/C unit (14,500 BTU), a 72" refrigerated prep table, and a 20qt mixer. I've never even thought of a generator before I started building this thing so I don't have a clue on what I need. What brand I should get. What type I should get. Or really anything. Please, thoughts........

5 Replies Related Threads

THE WILD DOG
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:New to the game! What can you tell me about generators/batteries? I'm all ears! 2013/07/16 04:12:34 (permalink)
     use the search function on here to weed out those answers, there are several threads on here about BOTH  GL
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:New to the game! What can you tell me about generators/batteries? I'm all ears! 2013/07/16 16:49:23 (permalink)
    Wild Dog had some great advice!  In addition to that-and since you're right across the swamp from me-get a big one.  A great one, that's plenty big.  Think about the other stuff you'll have-additional fans (for makeup air for the hood), cash register/pos, lights, pumps, possible future equipment, etc.

What kind of food are you doing?  What equipment will you have under your hood?  Also-more AC might be something you'd like to consider...we know how hot and humid it gets...doesn't hurt to add in enough AC in the planning stages.

When I did mine I figured my genny would get lots of use.  Sometimes maybe even 10 hours a day.  There are tons of cheap generators that you can get that have more than enough power but have a bit of a short life span.  You might be ok with having easy to replace, initially cheaper genny's and thats perfectly ok.  I opted for a heavy duty diesel genset, permanently mounted and made to provide enough power for everything I could think and doing so cleanly and efficiently.  I bought a 10,000 watt unit that, when fully loaded, gets about a gallon an hour.  Add in a 20,000 hour lifespan, 500 hour maintenance intervals and the quietness and I'm just about golden!

In my honest opinion-there are quite a few things you can skimp on.  Something like a generator-that you'll rely on in the most adverse conditions-should be the best you can afford.  Hope that helps!

MurphyR
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:New to the game! What can you tell me about generators/batteries? I'm all ears! 2013/07/17 21:03:33 (permalink)
    I put on a 12 kw Onan quiet diesel.
    Bought the commercial version. This gives you a 2 year warranty and battery charger.
    Just had to run it for 3 1/2 days straight last weekend at a festival that couldn't provide me power.
    It couldn't be better.
    You can stand right next to this beast and talk and never raise your voice.
    We get invited to gigs when others can't because of the noise.

And at 100 amp output, I have a 30 amp outlet I can power another truck should they need power.
    goldcoast
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:New to the game! What can you tell me about generators/batteries? I'm all ears! 2013/07/17 23:19:51 (permalink)
    Really appreciate it guys. I know the restaurant game alright but the food truck/trailer thing is new to me, as it was to everybody else at some point I suppose. And fishscale, I am doing a Pacific Coast concession trailer. Unique pizzas, lots of organic, high end ingredients. Burgers, sandwiches, fish tacos, pasta. Just stuff we ate in California. I have plenty of restaurant experience and I figured if I miss the food that much, it must be pretty good. Planning on doing all the larger farmers markets out here and maybe doing a couple food truck rallies around Miami-Dade, I was intrigued by the weekly one in Hollywood. I appreciate your input. 

fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:New to the game! What can you tell me about generators/batteries? I'm all ears! 2013/07/17 23:40:35 (permalink)
    Good deal sounds like a plan! What kind of oven are you doing for your pizzas? Before you make a jump on a generator be sure to tally up all your electrical needs (and account for enough cooler space). With some of the higher end ingredients I'm sure you'll want to make sure you have the right equipment a d enough juice to make it pop.

The events and rallies over here are pretty cool. The one in Hollywood is awesome-just got my first invite coming up this Monday and were super stoked! When you are done with all your stuff I can get you the contact info for the coordinators, if you'd like. Cheers and good luck!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1