Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes

Author
fireman_pete
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/06/20 13:02:08 (permalink)

Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes

We are looking at possibly opening a small concession stand at a large, local park.  We would be serving breakfast and lunch.  A very popular breakfast item is the breakfast burrito.  I am trying to find the best way to make them in small batches, and hold them hot until the customer orders them.

they would be simple, eggs, cheese, bacon or sausage, and maybe beans, all wrapped in a large flour tortilla.  Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Ideally we would make fresh, but at this park, there are rushes between games, etc that I know we could not keep up with.

Thanks

Pete

12 Replies Related Threads

lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/06/20 13:32:46 (permalink)
    We cooked the eggs onsite (in a steam table liner in boiling water)  mixed together with other ingredients according to my recipe. Placed egg mixture on flour tortilla, rolled up and wrapped in foil sheets. Held in a full size stream table pan from 8AM to 11AM. Then, if we had any remaining, we pulled them, placed in gallon sized ziplock freezer baggies, iced them down to cool fast and stored them in a cooler on ice and  home for our personal eats. My daughter was always POed because we didn't have any leftovers for her to eat. We made these for the auctions we used to do. Cooking the eggs in the steam table liners meant that I could mix up the eggs the night before (with immersion stick blender), toss the eggs into the refrigerator overnight, then into a cooler the next morning (4AM... it was a long way to ABQ). As soon as the cart was leveled, I had the water being heated to a boil to cook the baggie of eggs (had to poke, turn  & scrape down sides of bag). When all of the eggs were just solid but still moist (13 minutes @ high altitude), I would remove from the water, let cool for about 2 minutes so that I could scrape the eggs off the sides of the bag, add the other ingredients and mix well. I made 3/4 with meat and 1/4 with just cheese. It was the ratio that we sold. Not everyone wants meat. I did not add any potatoes to my breakfast burritos. Actually my recipe was a version of a very old German farmer's breakfast but the pancake was replaced with a flour tortilla.

You need to work on a few recipes to find what will be easy to make PLUS how well it will hold. We did holding "tests" on our cart (street vendor) for about a month while I worked on finding a recipe that would hold up to sitting in a pan for a few hours. My final recipe would hold from 10AM to 4PM (not that we would serve it to customers that long). You should be pulling your breakfast between 10:30 & 11AM. Lunch should be ready to serve by 11AM.

I cannot stress enough the testing. You need to make sure the oldest burrito tastes as good as the first burrito.

I found that I could cook 2 dozen eggs (579g) at a time well. So that is the recipe that I developed. 1/4 cup egg mixture + meat (or extra cheddar cheese) per 10" tortilla = 36 servings. You need to add something to the eggs to prevent weeping once cooked.
    post edited by lornaschinske - 2012/06/20 13:41:49
    fireman_pete
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/06/20 14:31:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the fast feedback.  My concern about holding them, was the tortilla absorbing the moisture from the eggs and falling apart.  We have a stove and over at the so cooking the eggs and meat should not be a problem.

Can I ask what you added to the eggs to prevent them from weeping, also any problems with them turning green?

THanks!
    lornaschinske
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/06/20 21:56:49 (permalink)
    Info from the AEB:
    Use 1 part medium white sauce to 5 parts egg mixture to prevent greening & weeping.  You can also beat in 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice for every 18 eggs or 1/4 teaspoon citric acid crystals for every dozen eggs to prevent greening. Greening is more likely in older eggs.  Don't cook your eggs in batches larger than 3 quarts to lessen weeping & greening. And cook them at medium heat to prevent them from being rubbery.

Use temps of 140°F & above for holding eggs. ( we held our burritos over 160°F + water).

Go read up on eggs at the AEB. They even have recipes under "Food Service Professionals".
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1977
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/06/20 22:37:50 (permalink)
    Pete, how much business are you anticipating?....Will you have 50 people standing in line to get one of your breakfast burritos? or will you have just a few people at a time?
    Cooked fresh to order is always best. Will your customer base not tolerate waiting for a cooked to order burrito? I can make one in under 2 minutes.
    I would skip the beans, add potatoes and offer salsa. How big of a burrito are you planning to serve and at what price?
    What else will you be serving?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10071
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/06/21 04:10:43 (permalink)
    Does the concession stand have a flat top or Griddle?
    If so, Pre-cook your bacon & sausage and chop up, use shedded cheese, and warm up refried beans that morning. As lornaschinske suggests, beat your eggs the night before and refrigerate.
    When you get an order(s), pour egg on the flat top for as many as you need to make, toss in meat and cheese, heat tortilla on flat top, put mixture on tortilla, add beans, and roll up. Should not take more that 2 minutes to make one fresh.
    (You can also buy pre-mixed liquid eggs from food distributors and Restaurant Depot.)
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/06/21 04:13:38
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/06/21 10:27:58 (permalink)
    with all cooked ingredients in steam table pan, use a poly board and make em fresh to order. takes 10 seconds or less from pan to customer and money to cash box
    TamaleTrolley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/07/20 21:15:59 (permalink)
    Pete,

I have no experience with flour tortillas but we do make a breakfast taco that gets raves:

--Eggs, beaten with a little salt and a good dollop of oil to emulsify them and prevent sticking, two small ladles, fried on cast iron with no addl grease, takes about 90 seconds

--Chorizo, fried ahead, this is a Mexican breakfast sausage, the local Mexican market makes a killer chorizo @ 3.99/lb bought fresh at the meat counter

--Salsa, a Santa Fe style salsa I make myself, white onions, green onions, garlic, green chile, tomato, some red jalapeno if you can get it, and tomato (no tomato sauce)

Load this up on a couple white corn tortillas, wrap in foil, they not only keep well they get better as they age. Profit margin on these things is outstanding.

Ken
    Tamale Trolley Food Truck
    Memphis TN
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2357
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/07/21 10:04:23 (permalink)
    We made a mix of Hash browns, sausage, green peppers, onions, eggs, cooked on the grill to make about 40 at  a time. When the mix is ready we used a 6" flour tortilla, scoop of mix and some shredded cheese on top, wrapped in a foil sheet. The Breakfast burritos hold well, the flour tortilla gets warm and doesn't get hard or fall a part. We had a self service condiment bar for the salsa and hot peppers.............I used liquid eggs for years, no problem with eggs turning green, if you use fresh eggs, mix in a small amount of sour cream when making the eggs on the grill........pnwc
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/07/21 21:16:00 (permalink)
    we do breakfast burritos bacon, sausage,shell eggs, green peppers, onions,potatoes. I put em in a 12" flour tortilla, topped with salasa, shredded cheese (the salad ones bigger shred) wrapped in foil, i've had one after holding in the steam pan for 4 hours and it was great still !not soggy,or hard....people rave about them.. in that 12 " tortilla is a great "perception of value" big word i got from a good friend.;]
    lornaschinske
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/07/22 11:49:26 (permalink)
    For those of you who do cook whole eggs... Have any of you had them turn green? I just wondered because I didn't when I was cooking eggs. Only problem I had was the "weeping" but that was easily solved.

Upside about switching to ice cream.... no more breakfast "burritos" for me to make!
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/07/22 20:34:58 (permalink)
    anyone using liquid eggs ?  How do you like them ? Thinking of doing  breakfast
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Newbie Question- Cooking and Holding Breakfast Burritoes 2012/07/25 21:05:43 (permalink)
    I will only use shell eggs,,,, thats my opinion and mine alone.. and you know what they say about opinions..my.02 worth.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1