Newbie question

Author
rdelbian
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/08/19 09:42:15 (permalink)

Newbie question

Greetings!  I've recently joined the group and enjoy reading the opinions and advice from everyone.  THis summer I have completed my first 2 events ever.  I used nothing more than an EZ tent setup with 4 tables, simple bunting, hand drawn signage, a microwave, a hotplate and a chest freezer.  I made gyros using a home-made sauce and the pre-sliced, pre-cooked slabs of gyro meat.  I had some success but most of all people liked what I served them, I had numerous positive comments.  Ideally I'd like to get a vertical rotisserie and do it properly but that just isn't in the cards at this time.

Along those lines I have an idea for a food product that I'd like to get everyone's opinion on.  The idea is that all of the sandwich meat served will be cooked on vertical broilers.  I would have 5 or 6 different types of meat, each with it's own sauce.  I know there are some sanitation concerns but here is the idea....

I would be using the mini-broilers to start with, stack each one with 10, 15 or 20 pounds of meat and have one person be solely responsible for carving until the meat is all cooked.   Each time the carver takes off a layer of cooked meat it is placed in a bin in a refrigerated table.  When an order is placed the bin is taken out and a portion is removed and nuked, put on warm bread/pita, and sauced.  I know that most of the cooking could be done on a flat-top or a bbq grill, but I agree with people on this board who say that part of the draw to some booths is the entertainment value and I think the rotisserie has more panache than a grill.

Thanks for any and all responses.

7 Replies Related Threads

Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Newbie question 2011/08/19 11:49:58 (permalink)
    Cut the meat off as it's ordered. I think that's far and away the best way to do it.

DT
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2018
    Re:Newbie question 2011/08/19 11:51:56 (permalink)
    Why would you carve the meat and then cool it and nuke it ?
    You can get microwaved food at any fast food restaurant.

The whole idea behind using the rotisserie is always having fresh hot meat for your sandwiches.
    You might as well stick with what you are doing now.

The rotisserie would be the draw for me, watching you microwave the meat for my sandwich would be the deal breaker.
    rdelbian
    Junior Burger
    Re:Newbie question 2011/08/19 11:56:39 (permalink)
    The problem is having raw meat sitting on the rotisseries.  As I understand it raw meat can only be exposed to ambient temps for no more than 2 hours before it is considered contaminated.  Once you start cooking on a rotisserie you can't really turn the burner on and off.  If customer volume is low (between 2 and 4pm for instance) I'd be out of luck...
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Newbie question 2011/08/19 15:47:39 (permalink)
    The best BBQ Sandwich I ever had was done on an upright broiler. The guy bought pre-smoked hams from a distributor, and ran them on the skewer and left it there all day. He didn't turn the heat on until someone ordered. And it took 3 or 4 minutes to heat the outer edge, but boy it was good. He owned a bar here in Spfld and most evenings he wasn't that busy, but as far as I know he never had a problem with our pretty strict HD.

I just bought a Junior Kronomatic just for that purpose. By the way you can buy the units from the company for a lot less than on Ebay or a resturant supply.
    Jack
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Newbie question 2011/08/20 04:51:51 (permalink)
    rdelbian-
    i think your missing the point, the upright cooks slowly, your not sitting at ambient temps....
    its sort of along the same lines as roasting a pig at 175 for 10 hours...

put the meat on there, turn it on, let it go, slice to order.....
    you can make your own gyro bricks at home, sized to what you need for the day if need be
    rdelbian
    Junior Burger
    Re:Newbie question 2011/08/20 22:32:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses.

Are there any restaurants out there that anyone knows of that do anything similar? I know that Mexican places sell tacos al pastor and middle eastern/ meditteranean places that sell gyro and shawarmas but I've never seen anyone doing more than one type of cuisine.
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Newbie question 2011/08/21 08:51:02 (permalink)
    we have a greek place here (zorba's) and they have a large gyro grill right in the center of the prep area facing the counter so you can see the meat cooking, and see them them slicing it off...
    every time ive been in there it just runs until someone orders, they slice, and go on to something else
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1