News from OB

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10481
2003/04/07 20:56:59 (permalink)

News from OB

I just spent the last week driving around Southern California and have some bad news roadfood-wise from Ocean Beach. Both the Bar-B-Q House and The O.B. Juice Bar are closed. The good news is that for the Bar-B-Q House, it only looks like it will only be temporary. There is a sign there saying it will be moving soon to a bigger storefront just down the street at 5027 Newport Avenue. Apparently, it will also have a rather intriguing new name, Bar-B-Q House Plus. I wonder what the plus will be? As for the O.B. Juice Bar, there is now something called Eatopia at 5001A Newport Avenue. While it looks like it might be a similar type establishment, I did ask and it does have new ownership, not just a name change. Sorry for the bad news!

9 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: News from OB 2003/04/08 09:22:54 (permalink)
    Too bad about that ... but this is one of the good things about a website, as opposed to a book. We can make changes as needed. We sometimes get letters from travelers who are angry because they arrived at a closed restaurant ... that they found via a recommendation in the 1978 edition of Roadfood! " />

Thanks for the update.

-- MS
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: News from OB 2007/09/19 10:11:45 (permalink)
    It seems everytime I visit Ocean Beach, CA, I return with bad news. On Saturday, I tried to visit Little Chef, reviewed here on Roadfood. Unfortunately, the address listed in the review is now Village Kabob Greek restaurant. But then I noticed, the space next door is Little Chef Chinese restaurant.

I went in to the Chinese place and inquired about it and the Chinese woman told me that she used to own the Little Chef next door. Unfortunately, she encountered some difficulties and ended up having to sell it. Still wanting to work in the restaurant business, she bought the space next door and limited the menu to Chinese food.

I did order the Kung Pao Chicken and it was quite good. And while I was sitting at the short counter, there was dozens of take-out orders being placed and picked up. This woman has quite a following.

I do wish her (I heard customers calling her Mary Ann) the best of luck with the new place, but the Little Chef from Michael & Jane's review is no more.

tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: News from OB 2007/09/19 12:08:33 (permalink)
    If Hodad's were to close, that would be truly horrible. Do me a favor and don't jinx it again!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: News from OB 2007/09/19 13:18:19 (permalink)
    tamandmik-
    Don't blame me, I am just the messenger! Actually, I walked right past Hodad's and they had a long line waiting for a seat. Hopefully, they will continue to do well, because I am a fan of the place, too. Their motto of "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem" has to be among my favorites. One of my Roadfood musts is that I have to eat at Hodad's and get the seat inside the old VW bus. Did you get to sit in it?

tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: News from OB 2007/09/19 14:07:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

tamandmik-
    Don't blame me, I am just the messenger! Actually, I walked right past Hodad's and they had a long line waiting for a seat. Hopefully, they will continue to do well, because I am a fan of the place, too. Their motto of "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem has to be among my favorites. One of my Roadfood musts is that I have to eat at Hodad's and get the seat inside the old VW bus. Did you get to sit in it?

Ha ha! Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, I've tried and failed all 4 times I've dined there.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: News from OB 2007/09/19 14:16:09 (permalink)
    tamandmik-
    Same for me....I am 0 for 4.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: News from OB 2007/09/21 08:16:34 (permalink)
    It should be mentioned that I noticed something odd whan I was walking down Newport Avenue in Ocean Beach.

In my original post, I noted The O.B. Juice Bar (reviewed in the 2002 Roadfood edition) had gone out of business and was replaced by something called Eatopia. When I walked past that space last Saturday, it appears The O.B. Juice Bar is back. Whether it has the original owners or not, I don't know. Now, I wish I had investigated further.
    Kinsman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: News from OB 2007/11/05 17:46:28 (permalink)
    Is the OB BBQ HOuse open again? I used to love Abdul's pork sandwich.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: News from OB 2007/11/06 08:22:45 (permalink)
    Kinsman-
    The BBQ House is indeed open. When I went to Ocean Beach in 2004, I ate there and thought it was quite good. When I was in Ocean Beach about a month or so again, it was still in business, but closed for the day. I think that was because they were doing catering.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1