Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA

Author
Purcell429
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2009/07/02 02:01:23 (permalink)

Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA

Hey all, I've been reading through the forums a bit and decided to join so I could post about one of my favorite Pizza joints, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet. So I'm from Northeastern PA, which is the pizza capital of the world (*changes subject before the debate ensues*). Now, whether or not you agree with that, I will say that NEPA has the greatest VARIETY of pizza types I have ever seen (Pittsburgh, where I live now, its a pizza wasteland by comparison). From Old forge style (which I think is over rated), to Victory Pig style (I prefer Lovin' Oven and Ripples over Victory Pig), to this place, Newtown Cafe. 

It's a small bar/ restaurant in Ashley, PA, just to the north of Wilkes-Barre. To pick up the pies you walk in through a rickety screen door in the back of the building and stand inside the kitchen while you wait. I mean, your 10 feet from the ovens, and there is no counter or anything. 

And they have what I would call a "Unique" style of pizza. They are small rectangular pies (Figure on ordering 1 per person) with a thin crust that is rather dense... in the middle of the pie, its dense and chewy, and the edges and corners are crunchy, almost rock hard. They use a fairly watery tomato sauce, and a cheese I cant quite figure out... much discussion among friends leads us to believe it is american cheese. Ok, so at this point, I'm sure everyone here is just about ready to hurl. But once that cheese and sauce combo goes into the oven, it mixes together to form this pink goo like substance that will stay pretty gooey until it cools to room temperature (I love taking a spoon and scooping up whatever is left over in the box). I either get them plain, or "marinated", which is white pie with sliced tomatoes on top.  The best way to eat these is either in the restaurant, or to call ahead, order them half baked, and finish them in the oven at home. 

Next time i'm in town I'll order one and take a picture to show everyone. But yeah, if your in the area, check this place out. Not everyone likes it at first... but I guarantee you have never had a pie like this before.

12 Replies Related Threads

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/02 08:35:58 (permalink)
    Purcell429, Thanks for the info.  I have seen the place many times, but thought it was just a rundown bar.  I will have to give the pizza a try.
    BTW, consider yourself lucky to be in Pittsburgh.  There are enough great eating places to keep your mind off of pizza
    post edited by joerogo - 2009/07/02 08:39:01
    Purcell429
    Junior Burger
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/02 10:25:33 (permalink)
    Oh I agree with you there joerogo, plenty of excellent places to eat in pittsburgh, I just can't find a pie that I really get excited about.
    Purcell429
    Junior Burger
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/02 14:19:46 (permalink)
    Aha! I found a picture!

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2979
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/02 15:49:11 (permalink)
    My sis in law keeps saying she's heard it's good; I've thought the same as Joe. Ashley is south of Wilkes-Barre, btw. A minor correction, but important if someone coming down I-81 decides to go looking for it! Heck, maybe I'll stop there on the way home tonight and  pick up some pies.
    Purcell429
    Junior Burger
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/02 17:55:45 (permalink)
    Ah, of course your right, it is south of Wilkes-Barre, and its only a few blocks over the border of the city really. It's pretty accessible from I-81 as well, just head down Hazleton street and then make a right at the light. It's on the right hand side heading up the hill.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/02 19:21:06 (permalink)
    You went Mt Top to Pittsburgh; I went Pittsburgh to Mt Top.

Great pizza over in Squirrel Hill. Mineo's and Aiello's are phenomenal, with Napoli not far behind.

Given the eating choices, ie if that was the only criteria for where to live, I'd be in Pittsburgh as fast as my car could carry me, just to be able to eat a Tessaro's burger (in Bloomfield) whenever I wanted to. Or a sausage spaghetti dinner at Big Jim's, in the run.
    Purcell429
    Junior Burger
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/03 01:07:15 (permalink)
    Heh, yeah, I'm going to grad school at University of Pittsburgh, I've been in Pittsburgh for 6 years now. And I agree, overall, Pittsburgh obviously has much better food. But there are plenty of hidden gem's in NEPA: The Pizza: (Newtown, Lovin' Oven, Ripples, Nardones, Senapes Pizza (Both hot and cold), Casamato's (I'll have to make a thread about this one too!)), The Hot Dog's (Abe's and Ferris's).... and a few gems like Heller's Orchard Cider, Roman's Candies, and the Stewart's Drive In...

But Pittsburgh, yeah, lots of great places... Tram's Kitchen, Salem's Halal Meats, Peppi's, Lucca's, Pamela's, The O, Primanti's, Tessaro's, and a lot more I can't think of. I made it to Big Jim's for the first time recently, I had never even heard of the place! What else is good to get at Big Jim's, I got the veal parmeasan sandwhich, which was pretty impressive. 
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/03 07:47:27 (permalink)
    Purcell429

But Pittsburgh, yeah, lots of great places... Tram's Kitchen, Salem's Halal Meats

Are you talking about Salem's on Bouquet?  If you are, excellent choice.

Purcell429
    Junior Burger
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/03 12:11:55 (permalink)
    I am talking about Salem's on Bouquet! I used to live around the corner, and on my way to class they would pull up an unrefridgerated truck full of lambs... that place makes the best Kufta, Lamb and Chicken I've ever had, I try to stop in once a week or so.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/07/03 13:25:00 (permalink)
    I moved over 20 years ago and only get back there once in a while, so I wouldn't know what else is good at Big Jim's... I'd guess everything!

Jim's been gone for about 20 years now. Just FYI, he was BIG. Like over 400 lbs big. REALLY big.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 892
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/11/22 14:36:47 (permalink)
    This old thread inspired me to visit Salem's for the first time today.

Clockwise from the bottom: kofta, lamb curry, salad, chicken curry, grilled chicken.

Everything was very tasty. I was particularly impressed by the lamb, because I don't usually care for lamb much.
    Oh Canada
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA 2009/11/22 17:09:34 (permalink)
    I was just in northeastern Pennsylvania last week (please see trip reports, Mr Chips Shuffles Off to Buffalo, for my comparison visit to Charlie the Butcher's on the way home) and obviously must plan a trip to Pittsburg soon for that lamb!  In the meantime I'll see if I can figure out how to send this thread to my Penn friends, who thought that the Roadtrip Trip to Buffalo and Rochester sounded fantastic - must have been that grin on my face.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1