Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014.

Author
Davidsanders
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2014/06/04 20:03:29 (permalink)

Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014.

I'm planning on another trip to North and South Carolina at the end of August. I've got some ideas of places to go, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it. I'll probably stay in Wilson the first two nights, and Summerville the third night. After that it will be in Charlotte.

And, by the way, does anybody know anything about Sup Dogs?

Thanks in advance.

Day 1

Skylight Inn (Ayden)

Original Parker's (Wilson)

Day 2

Flo's Kitchen (Wilson) (drive through biscuits)

B's Barbecue (Greenville)

Bum's (Ayden)

Doug Saul's (Nashville)

Day 3

Flo's Kitchen

Jack Cobb (Farmville)

Grady's (Dudley)

Kelly's Barbecue (Summerville, South Carolina)

Day 4 (meet up with my brother, who will be going to the guitar show in Charlotte)

Goodland's Barbecue (Springfield, SC)

R.O.'s Barbecue (Gastonia, NC)

Day 5

Jimmy's (Lexington) or Richard's or Wink's (Salisbury)

Keaton's Barbecue and Fried Chicken (Cleveland, NC)

Day 6

Ronnie's Ribs (Elgin, SC)

Q2U (Wylie, SC)

Day 7

Maurice's Piggie Park (West Columbia, SC)

Smiley's or BBQ Center (Lexington, NC)

Day 8 

Bill Spoon's (Charlotte)

home!

Let me know your thoughts.

29 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/04 20:41:48 (permalink)
    Don't know why members don't use the Find Regional Eats feature on the home page to research an area. Each lookup contains 26 bona fide reviews by Roadfooders of an area. No need to re-invent the wheel.
    Here's what you get when you put in Wilson, NC:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurants/SearchResults.aspx?st=latlong&latlongid=4733&ob=LatLon

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3726
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/04 21:21:02 (permalink)
    Guess what Foodbme......................that  does not tell ALL of the great barbeque places.  For some of the best S Carolina barbeque, and a great friendly experience, you must try McCabe's barbeque in Manning SC.  The food is terrific, the service is great and the owners are the nicest people that you will ever meet....................it is a short detour off  I-95
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 00:01:17 (permalink)
    I've been through all the North and South Carolina reviews on the Roadfood.com restaurant review site. It's just good to know if anyone has any other ideas, or agrees or disagrees with the reviews. For instance, the review for Cook's in Lexington is great, and I got a really strong recommendation for it from someone on the board, but it was not a great experience for me. It wasn't bad, just not what I generally like. But I was happy to try it and glad to have gotten the recommendation. 

Foodbme

Don't know why members don't use the Find Regional Eats feature on the home page to research an area. Each lookup contains 26 bona fide reviews by Roadfooders of an area. No need to re-invent the wheel.
    Here's what you get when you put in Wilson, NC:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurants/SearchResults.aspx?st=latlong&latlongid=4733&ob=LatLon

Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 00:03:51 (permalink)
    One of these days I'll get to McCabe's. I really wish I had more time. In reading the reports on the 100 Mile South Carolina barbecue website I came across a couple that sounded better to me. This trip I'll try Kelly's in Summerville.

Greymo

Guess what Foodbme......................that  does not tell ALL of the great barbeque places.  For some of the best S Carolina barbeque, and a great friendly experience, you must try McCabe's barbeque in Manning SC.  The food is terrific, the service is great and the owners are the nicest people that you will ever meet....................it is a short detour off  I-95

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 02:24:06 (permalink)
    Greymo

Guess what Greymo.................. He wasn't asking for ALL the great BBQ places, he just asked for places to eat in NC & SC.
    Never said that the regional search feature would give you all of any kind of places but it's a good place to start. You'll get 26 places of all kinds within a geographical area that have been visited, liked and reviewed by Roadfooders. Granted, some of them are older reviews and places change, close, change management etc. but it's a place to start. 
    He later explained he had been through all the reviews and that's great.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/05 02:25:51
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 02:29:36 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 02:40:23 (permalink)
    Springjoey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 08:28:18 (permalink)
    I went to most of these places down east last fall on a bbq tour, only place I would add would be Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, SC. Went there just on a whim one day during trip that I didn't have anything planned and it was well worth the trip. I went to Allen & Son, Wilbur's, Skylight, Grady's and Scott's, was also planning on B's and Jack Cobb & Son but had to cut those out this trip. Scott's was the best of the group, which pains me to say being a NC boy.

In Lexington, I assume you have already gone to Honey Monk's, try BBQ Center for sure, Jimmy's doesn't cook with wood anymore so I haven't been since they went to gas but it was good back in the day, Tarheel Q is another good one in that area, Little Richard's up in Winston is another great one. As always when in Lexington order the outside brown!

Enjoy the trip!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2633
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 10:21:10 (permalink)
    David - Sup Dogs is a new one on me. I'm interested in your report.

I found a good source of info on NC restaurants at the online site for Our State magazine (sorry no link since I'm posting this from my mobile device). They just featured the hot dogs at Jones Cafe in Clayton, which may be close to your route.

Jim
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 10:34:05 (permalink)
    Davidsanders 

http://supdogs.com/

Sup Dogs is a hot dog place in Greenville that caters mostly to the ECU college crowd. Saw the place last year when I took my son on a college visit/audition at ECU. Didn't get a chance to try it out, so can't comment on the food, but I suspect it is primarily a college beer hangout.
    P.S. Dave, that is a great lineup of Q-joints to visit. Looking forward to the reviews!....
    post edited by Davebassman - 2014/06/05 10:37:16
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 10:45:14 (permalink)
    I had planned originally on going to Scott's, but my feeling is that they will be closed and/or out of food by the time I would be able to get there. That's why I changed to Kelly's, which looks really good from the top100bbq.com site. 

I'm really disappointed I won't be able to go to Allen & Son this trip (and to not be in Chapel Hill to be able to go to Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen), but I wanted to try some of the other places. I have been to Honey Monk's and the BBQ Center. Thanks for the reminder about Jimmy's and gas. I think I'll go back to BBQ Center, because it was one of my favorites last August.

Here's my report from last August: http://www.roadfood.com/F...2126-2013-m773177.aspx

And here's my report from this past April: http://www.roadfood.com/F...1016-2014-m776112.aspx

Springjoey

I went to most of these places down east last fall on a bbq tour, only place I would add would be Scott's BBQ in Hemingway, SC. Went there just on a whim one day during trip that I didn't have anything planned and it was well worth the trip. I went to Allen & Son, Wilbur's, Skylight, Grady's and Scott's, was also planning on B's and Jack Cobb & Son but had to cut those out this trip. Scott's was the best of the group, which pains me to say being a NC boy.

In Lexington, I assume you have already gone to Honey Monk's, try BBQ Center for sure, Jimmy's doesn't cook with wood anymore so I haven't been since they went to gas but it was good back in the day, Tarheel Q is another good one in that area, Little Richard's up in Winston is another great one. As always when in Lexington order the outside brown!

Enjoy the trip!

Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 10:50:10 (permalink)
    Davidsanders

I had planned originally on going to Scott's, but my feeling is that they will be closed and/or out of food by the time I would be able to get there. 

Get to B's early. Never been there but I hear they sell until they run out, sometimes by late lunch.
    Looking forward to your comparison of Bum's and Skylight. Locals seem to favor one or the other. 

Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 10:50:10 (permalink)
    Thanks. I don't imagine that I'll be able to fit anything else in when I'm in Greenville, but I wondered if anyone had had them.

Davebassman

Davidsanders 

http://supdogs.com/

Sup Dogs is a hot dog place in Greenville that caters mostly to the ECU college crowd. Saw the place last year when I took my son on a college visit/audition at ECU. Didn't get a chance to try it out, so can't comment on the food, but I suspect it is primarily a college beer hangout.
    P.S. Dave, that is a great lineup of Q-joints to visit. Looking forward to the reviews!....

Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 10:52:57 (permalink)
    I'm planning on getting to B's by about 10:30. I don't normally do bbq for breakfast (not sure why!), but this will be a three barbecue day, plus Flo's for a biscuit.

Davebassman

Davidsanders

I had planned originally on going to Scott's, but my feeling is that they will be closed and/or out of food by the time I would be able to get there. 

Get to B's early. Never been there but I hear they sell until they run out, sometimes by late lunch.
    Looking forward to your comparison of Bum's and Skylight. Locals seem to favor one or the other. 

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 566
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 12:26:56 (permalink)
    McCabe's in Manning, SC has very limited hours.  So, if you're in the Manning area, but McCabe's is closed, you can try D&H BBQ in Manning.  They often have a buffet durng the week with very respectable Eastern NC style BBQ, as well as some very good fried chicken, and excellent hush puppies.   

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/06/05 12:28:35
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 13:28:26 (permalink)
    May I recommend you give my barbecue map a try?  The eastern NC places like B's, Parker's, and Skylight Inn will not get featured until I visit them in November, but you might find some other great places in the areas that you'll be.

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/index/1476741
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 566
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 13:38:55 (permalink)
    Our most recent visit to Parker's was a bit disapponting.  It seems to have gone down hill quite a bit, .... and their days of using wood are long gone. 

Glenn

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 14:20:12 (permalink)
    David,

I asked a recent ECU grad at work about Sups. He said it was a place to get drunk and that the hot dogs weren't anything special. He recommended B's without prompting, which I fully endorse.

Jim
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 15:27:30 (permalink)
    I've been to D&H twice now and loves it both times. Had the buffet both times.
    They just sent me their new t-shirt. Very nice people.

Glenn1234

McCabe's in Manning, SC has very limited hours.  So, if you're in the Manning area, but McCabe's is closed, you can try D&H BBQ in Manning.  They often have a buffet durng the week with very respectable Eastern NC style BBQ, as well as some very good fried chicken, and excellent hush puppies.   

Glenn

Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/05 15:28:27 (permalink)
    Fantastic, and overwhelming!

Thanks.

Heartbreaksoup

May I recommend you give my barbecue map a try?  The eastern NC places like B's, Parker's, and Skylight Inn will not get featured until I visit them in November, but you might find some other great places in the areas that you'll be.

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/index/1476741

Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/06/06 00:35:06 (permalink)
    Turns out I won't be able to go to Doug Saul's after all, since I had planned to go on Tuesday, and they are closed on Tuesdays. I'm now planning to go to Bill Ellis instead.
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/05 10:56:22 (permalink)
    Davidsanders
    I'm planning another trip to North and South Carolina at the end of August. I've got some ideas of places to go, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it. I'll probably stay in Wilson the first two nights, and Summerville the third night. After that I'll be in Charlotte.

Thanks in advance.

Day 1

Skylight Inn (Ayden)

Day 2

Bum's (Ayden)

Doug Saul's (Nashville)

Day 3

Flo's Kitchen

Jack Cobb (Farmville)

Grady's (Dudley)

Kelly's Barbecue (Summerville, South Carolina)

Day 4 (meet up with my brother, who will be going to the guitar show in Charlotte)

Goodland's Barbecue (Springfield, SC)

R.O.'s Barbecue (Gastonia, NC)

Day 5

Jimmy's (Lexington) or Richard's or Wink's (Salisbury)

Day 6

Ronnie's Ribs (Elgin, SC)

Q2U (Wylie, SC)

Day 7

Maurice's Piggie Park (West Columbia, SC)

Smiley's or BBQ Center (Lexington, NC)

Day 8 

Bill Spoon's (Charlotte)

home!

Let me know your thoughts.

I've had a few changes to my plans.

Day 1

Stephenson's bbq in Willow Spring (quite close to the Raleigh airport. Looks like a good way to start off the trip)

Skylight Inn (Ayden)

Day 2

Bum's (Ayden). I might leave this out. I think this is just going to be too much for one day.

Bill Ellis (Wilson)

Days 3 and 4 are the same.

Day 5

Richard's or Wink's (Salisbury)

Day 6 and 7 are the same

Day 8

I might try Diamond's because Buffetbuster has recommended it. My return flight is pretty late, so I'll have time for that and Bill Spoon's.

One morning for breakfast I want to try Zada Jane's.

Any thoughts?
    post edited by Davidsanders - 2014/07/05 10:57:42
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/05 11:14:37 (permalink)
    Dame's Chicken & Waffles in Durham is outstanding. If you like that kind of thing.
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/05 12:49:38 (permalink)
    About day 5: Wink's was one of maybe three underwhelming stops on my recent NC tour.  Wink's was pretty good, but I found so much that was better.  The next time I'm in the area, I will try Richard's over a return visit.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/05 16:29:42 (permalink)
    Davidsanders-
    Technically, I haven't recommended Diamond Restaurant in Charlotte quite yet.  I have read many good things and it was opened by people who used to run the excellent Penguin Drive In, so chances are it will be a winner.  My trip to Charlotte is next weekend and it will be my first stop after I land.  I report back and let you know how it was.

And that is a really impressive trip you have planned ahead.  Can't wait to read about your findings!

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/05 16:39:12 (permalink)
    David - I recommend avoiding Pinky's Burgers in Charlotte (often mentioned in same breath with Penguin and Diamond). We stopped at Pinky's last week and never received our order. When they finally looked into it after 30 minutes of waiting, they figured out that the waiter never submitted the order. None of the restaurant staff bothered to ask about our order while delivering food to adjacent tables.

jrp
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/06 01:30:10 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup
    About day 5: Wink's was one of maybe three underwhelming stops on my recent NC tour.  Wink's was pretty good, but I found so much that was better.  The next time I'm in the area, I will try Richard's over a return visit.

Thanks for the advice on Wink's. I'm leaning on going back to Richard's, and then also to Spanky's ice cream, unless I go back to Lexington ton either BBQ Center or Smiley's.
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/06 01:32:28 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    Davidsanders-
    Technically, I haven't recommended Diamond Restaurant in Charlotte quite yet.  I have read many good things and it was opened by people who used to run the excellent Penguin Drive In, so chances are it will be a winner.  My trip to Charlotte is next weekend and it will be my first stop after I land.  I report back and let you know how it was.

And that is a really impressive trip you have planned ahead.  Can't wait to read about your findings!

I will look forward to your report on Diamond's, and all the other places you'll visit.
    barbecuebros
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Next North and South Carolina Barbecue Tour, August, 2014. 2014/07/22 21:23:25 (permalink)
    The Diamond is definitely worth checking out, and if you liked the burgers at the old Penguin they are basically the same at Diamond. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1