Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast

Author
daveritzdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
2004/05/07 21:09:34 (permalink)

Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast

I'm a Roadfooder who once hailed from Miami, but now lives in NYC! I really miss the funky, homestyle, mom and pop Nicaraguan steak joints I used to frequent in South Florida. Can Nicaraguan cuisine actually be found in the Big Apple or Northeastern region? I'm desperate here folks, so if anyone has any info please share. There has to be some Nicaraguan- Americans who call New York home! If there is a least one place, it's probably off the main streets and hidden in plain sight in a modest storefront! Thanks Roadfooders, and give Dave a holler about what you find!

4 Replies Related Threads

ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast 2004/05/08 21:53:31 (permalink)
    Unfortunately around here (Maryland) when people see a Latino they assume Mexican. Some of our better "Mexican" restaurants are really owned by the Nicaraguans. I usually check out the menus looking for dishes slipped in as specials.
    rigoleto
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast 2004/07/11 05:57:54 (permalink)
    I lived in Mexico City and in Managua. Lemme tell ya, there's no such thing as "Nicaraguan food". From the Rio Grande to the Panama Canal, it's all Mexican food by any other name!
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast 2004/07/15 17:22:39 (permalink)
    My recollection is that on Anderson Avenue (might be Palisade) in either Cliffside Park or Fairview, NJ (Southeastern Bergen County) there is at least one Salvadoran restaurant, which I would have to guess would be pretty close. That part of Bergen and nearby Hudson Counties has a large and diverse Latino population.
    daveritzdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Nicaraguan Restaurants in the Northeast 2004/07/15 17:47:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rigoleto

I lived in Mexico City and in Managua. Lemme tell ya, there's no such thing as "Nicaraguan food". From the Rio Grande to the Panama Canal, it's all Mexican food by any other name!
    Sorry, my friend but Nicaraguan food in Miami is so very distinctive from the Mexican food we have here in the United States! The tropical location gives the food a unique flavor, and the Nicaraguan exile community in Miami has carried their love of grilled, marinated Beef, fried plantains, and gallo pinto to our shores! The spices and flavors are closer to the foods of Argentina and Brazil, than that of Mexico! Many people falsely assume that all Latino foods are the same, but those who have sampled the wares from these lands know the differences. The Mexican food here in NYC is pretty bad and uninspired, and could never replace the great Nicaraguan food I used to enjoy in Florida!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1