Nick's Famous Coney Has Closed in Portland,Oregon

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2008/04/12 15:36:21 (permalink)

Nick's Famous Coney Has Closed in Portland,Oregon

Nick's Famous Coney, a Portland, oregon community treasure for 50 years, has closed its doors. Decorated with Yankee and Oregon sports memorobilia and news clippings, watered by Frank Nudo's wit and wisdom, Nick's was a place where you would run into Portland's political and sports elite as well as members of Porland's working class, all sharing Portland's best Coneys. Frank was an anomaly in the now very politically correct and very hip Hawthorne district but he was beloved as the last of his kind. Frank will sell the building, retire a milluonaire but be missed by all of us who enjoyed his company

4 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10445
    RE: Nick's Famous Coney Has Closed in Portland,Oregon 2008/04/12 21:34:11 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear the bad news mr chips. When I first read a few months ago that they were going to close in April, I thought about trying to get there before the fateful day, but it just wasn't possible. No doubt, Portland will miss this place a lot!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Nick's Famous Coney Has Closed in Portland,Oregon 2008/04/13 23:41:41 (permalink)
    I had a conversation in there once, amidst the Yankess garbage,..er treasures adorning the walls, about Norm Seibern, whose daughters came into the record store I worked at in Independence, and Whitey Herzog, who lived across the street from us for a while when I was kid.
    buttrdish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Nick's Famous Coney Has Closed in Portland,Oregon 2008/04/14 00:15:48 (permalink)
    That is bad news about Nick's, I believe I just saw them featured on a Food Network show this past week. Lately I have been thinking about Roake's Hot Dogs in Portland, looked to see if they were listed in Roadfood and they are not, seems to me they should be, I love them!

Any Oregonians have an opinion on Roake's?? I have also been missing Campbell's BBQ on Powell. I guess I have just been missing Portland in general. Tedi
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Nick's Famous Coney Has Closed in Portland,Oregon 2008/04/23 15:22:43 (permalink)
    I've been to Roake's and enjoyed the place and food. Real 50's feel with great chili dogs. Need to schedule a trip soon.

quote:
    Originally posted by buttrdish

That is bad news about Nick's, I believe I just saw them featured on a Food Network show this past week. Lately I have been thinking about Roake's Hot Dogs in Portland, looked to see if they were listed in Roadfood and they are not, seems to me they should be, I love them!

Any Oregonians have an opinion on Roake's?? I have also been missing Campbell's BBQ on Powell. I guess I have just been missing Portland in general. Tedi
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1