Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/06/12 08:45:45 (permalink)

Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud

This company’s very existence tells us volumes about how restaurant operators feel about social media site Yelp. Talk to the Manager’s business plan assumes many restaurant owners are fed up with Yelp to the point where they will spend $15 per month on its service in the hopes of staving off bad customer reviews.

http://restaurant-hospita...&YM_MID=%60mmid%60

14 Replies Related Threads

lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/12 13:24:39 (permalink)
    And here I thought it was negative reviews ABOUT Yelp. I hate Yelp. I have tried 6 times to get the address changed for the food cart and still can't. Doesn't matter, nobody uses it anyway. Glad I didn't pay for the Yelp listing.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 13:23:03 (permalink)
    I don't get this Jack. Why does this even have to be an anonymous, text based service? Why not just place a table tent that specifically says if you have a problem or can't resolve it with the waitstaff, ask for the manager? Are restaurant managers suddenly unapproachable and can't be bothered? If that's the attitude in larger restaurants where someone has to either call corporate or write a bad review because they can't get past the floor to get a complaint resoloved, then the restaurant deserves the bad rap. You can't please everybody and there are always going to be customers that you can't make happy. A service such as this isn't going to make a difference in those cases. 
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 13:40:10 (permalink)
    i usualy do not say anything when the foodis not up to par.
    i just never go back.
    i will only write a bad review if it is nasty.
    i have been in the foodservice industry for 30yrs.
    one thing i learned is.... the following is the customer you have to look for and go out of you way to make happy.
    i am a customer who never complains about anything even if the food and service is bad.
    i am pleasant i leave a good tip......you will never see me again.
    this is the customer you need to pick out in your resturant.....and kiss there ass.
    not only will you never see them again they will tell all there buddies.
    look for a very quiet pleasant person not asking for anything or complaing about anything.
    just eating. go and talk to them make them feel important and needed mabey the customer will come back.
    it takes a lot of experaince to pick out this customer....remember service service is the key!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 13:47:37 (permalink)
    I see it as more of an option for when someone who might have an issue with this or that happens to be out with someone who prays for nice quiet time during the meal. In the spirit of keeping it quiet during quiet time...there is the liaison of contact or resolution process before it goes to Yelp...after nice quiet time is over.

So a restaurant leaves an offer of future option before it becomes jump ugly time on Yelp from having to bite your tongue during dinner.

There are some reviews on Yelp that make you want to laugh or cry.

I love the place...but I sat in traffic for an hour to get there. Ok.

The place was great but the sun was so bright that day and I forget my sunglasses. Hello.

My sandwich was awesome but the Kosher Deli refused to make my ham & cheese sandwich. Knock knock...

DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 14:20:18 (permalink)
    Wouldn't some cards on the table with a contact number and perhaps a note to the customer work just as well? Major chains have been doing that for years. "If you have a problem....yada yada, we want to hear from you". That's a great way to resolve a problem with recourse after the fact. Most well run restaurants either have a manager or the owner walking around, introducing themselves and asking if all was ok with their meal. Has that practice suddenly stopped?

Most folks that enjoy fine dining are more then likely to be 50+. That's not a demographic that I would expect to see a lot of use of texting anyways.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 14:39:43 (permalink)
    I recently ate in a new family owned restaurant. The service was pretty poor and the server we had trouble speaking and understanding English so we had some mix ups. There was one of the owners there but he was too busy smoozing with 2 tables that were pretty obviously his old friends from the old neighborhood who ventured out to this little town and acted like they were some kind of pioneers. The owner spent all his time visiting and making sure those two tables had great service from the waiter who could speak English and didn't even notice the other 5 tables who were all sitting and waiting and not getting served. We just won't go back, the owner doesn't seem to care. The food was only average and the fries were soggy but there are plenty of other places to go with much better food. No loss to me but a big loss to this restaurant.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 14:44:56 (permalink)
    Things evolve with the age of technology. There used to be cards to mail etc. The 50+ demographic does not apply here.

If someone is so dissatisfied they want to be heard...they will approach the manager. This option is an extended benefit...not a requirement and not a means to disqualify a phone call or whatever means some would choose at the time of service.

I could powder my nose...send a text...without hearing "tsk tsk tsk Colleen" at the table? I like it!!! Lol
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 15:21:36 (permalink)
    maybe good food and service would preclude a negative yelp review?
    Nip it in the bud?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 15:58:44 (permalink)
    "Talk to the Manager’s direct texting service is available. Customers can then send anonymous text remarks, yea or nay"

It's for a yea too.

It would be a headache if someone starts texting they are at table 17 or something and they want to speak to the manager...and they are not at the restaurant. That's a potential issue. Don't want to ask them what they are wearing.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/13 16:03:17
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 16:51:48 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

maybe good food and service would preclude a negative yelp review?
    Nip it in the bud?

Not always there are those that given a PC and Yelp suddenly become EXPERT FOOD CRITICS. And a lot of those are young (late 20s to late 30s) and they think they know everything about every dish. And I'd bet most have never worked in a kitchen. I think Dawn is correct but after it gets posted on Yelp you just have to ignore it.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/13 17:52:29 (permalink)
    This is part of a recent yelp review for Peter Luger...

"2.5 stars. Too many strikes to be 3-stars worthy.

- we walked in a little late for our rez & had to wait an hour to be seated. Yes, our fault. Doesn't mean I'm not irritated about it.

- cash only. I'm a credit card-toting chick & like racking up air miles, so was bummed that I was missing out on $250 worth of points."

I'm just sayin'
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10207
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/14 04:47:47 (permalink)
    Unless a place has at least 25-30 reviews, I ignore the reviews.
    If over that, I go by "The Majority Wins". If the majority are positive, I'll give it a shot, if not, no way.
    THIS IS MY DIAMOND JUBILEE POST!
    7500 POSTS!
    DO I GET TO MEET THE QUEEN????
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/06/14 04:53:50
    jimmysmoot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/14 11:30:09 (permalink)
    +1 to everything marco said... I"m the same way
    marco226

i usualy do not say anything when the foodis not up to par.
    i just never go back.
    i will only write a bad review if it is nasty.
    i have been in the foodservice industry for 30yrs.
    one thing i learned is.... the following is the customer you have to look for and go out of you way to make happy.
    i am a customer who never complains about anything even if the food and service is bad.
    i am pleasant i leave a good tip......you will never see me again.
    this is the customer you need to pick out in your resturant.....and kiss there ass.
    not only will you never see them again they will tell all there buddies.
    look for a very quiet pleasant person not asking for anything or complaing about anything.
    just eating. go and talk to them make them feel important and needed mabey the customer will come back.
    it takes a lot of experaince to pick out this customer....remember service service is the key!

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Nip negative Yelp reviews in the bud 2012/06/14 12:57:48 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Unless a place has at least 25-30 reviews, I ignore the reviews.
    If over that, I go by "The Majority Wins". If the majority are positive, I'll give it a shot, if not, no way.
    THIS IS MY DIAMOND JUBILEE POST!
    7500 POSTS!
    DO I GET TO MEET THE QUEEN????

We always thought you were the queen. LOL Congratulations
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1