No Decent Pizza Emporiums 'Round Here

Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
2003/05/20 19:32:52 (permalink)

No Decent Pizza Emporiums 'Round Here

In my area, one must take at least an hours drive or so to get anything worthwhile. The best roadfood type stuff, etc., comes from your own kitchen. This is true for pizza establishments, also. Sure, enjoy the local Domino's or Pizza Hut to your heart's desire. I learned quite a while back that this was both a waste of time and $$$. Anyway, in that sense, I would offer my fellow readers a little recipe for French Bread Pizza I threw together several years back. I kinda' took the Stouffer's FB pizza idea and invented my own, so to speak. I even "won" a little recipe contest for this thing (got a free t-shirt ;). Anyway, here is the link to the site where my recipe is. While you are there, be sure to sign up for their FREE newsletter. This is a non-commercial site so I don't want to think I am plugging some corporate entity, etc. If anyone trys my recipe please let me know how you liked it.

http://pizzatherapy.com/french.htm

5 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: No Decent Pizza Emporiums 'Round Here 2003/05/20 19:51:35 (permalink)
    Dear Pizzians,
    There are several passable pizza jernts hereabouts, transcending the usual "college town" type of place. However, to visit a real trattoria, one has to leave Athens, drive to the edge of Atlanta, take I-285 southward, lob onto I-85 south, and trundle the additional 50+ miles southwestward to the hamlet of Hogansville, Georgia (pop. 3,500), whereupon your destination, Hogan's Heroes (what a great name!) - located in the old Greyhound Bus Station on U. S. 29 through town - will loom up (if you make the correct twists and turns off the Interstate!). I guess it's not really roadfood in our sense, but as soon as I am able to make my own (ahem!) investigation, I will wander back in here.
    Vermicellically, Ort. Carlton (Ye Travelling Trencherman) in Athens, Georgia.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: No Decent Pizza Emporiums 'Round Here 2003/05/20 20:09:42 (permalink)
    Ah yes, Ort. I see we are both fellow Georgians (for good or worse ;). Alas, Athens is but a quaint two and 1/2 hour drive from my locale; even more for the metro Atlanta area. I am closer to Tallahassee, FL, anyway. I would like to infer that many of our fellow readers are perhaps in the same situation I find myself in. I.E., living in the middle of nowhere with limited choices for quality eats. Not talkin' 'bout traveling while on vacation or roadtrips, etc; but just finding a decent place to enjoy quality food.
    eelranch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: No Decent Pizza Emporiums 'Round Here 2003/06/25 19:55:23 (permalink)
    Adjudicator:

If you go south of Tallahassee and find yourself in Greater São Paulo, don't miss Braz Pizzaria in Hígienopolis - good crusty brick oven pizza, preceded by a fabulous salami bread! - and Margherita's in Cidade Jardim. You can't go wrong at either.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: No Decent Pizza Emporiums 'Round Here 2004/10/30 18:46:47 (permalink)
    I'm liking a local pizza joint close to my house more & more. It's called Papa Dom's and the owner is an Italian from NYC and he says he makes authentic NY style pizza. it's very good and the crust is just right, not too thick, not too thin, foldable, and the sauce is also just right.

carl reitz
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: No Decent Pizza Emporiums 'Round Here 2004/10/31 03:33:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Ah yes, Ort. I see we are both fellow Georgians (for good or worse ;). Alas, Athens is but a quaint two and 1/2 hour drive from my locale; even more for the metro Atlanta area. I am closer to Tallahassee, FL, anyway. I would like to infer that many of our fellow readers are perhaps in the same situation I find myself in. I.E., living in the middle of nowhere with limited choices for quality eats. Not talkin' 'bout traveling while on vacation or roadtrips, etc; but just finding a decent place to enjoy quality food.

There aren't many smallish towns in the South (or elsewhere for that matter) that don't have some pretty fair eatin' whether they have good pizza or not. This is usually serious roadfood country. And since I spent most of my younger years in the stretch of territory between Southern Maryland and Central Florida but am now housed in San Francisco and southern Arizona, there's a lot I miss foodwise. But of course my new locales have their own attractions and I've discovered nearly everywhere does--maybe not pizza, but if you adapt to the local taste buds, you'll find something to like (in SF, it's mostly Asian food and in Tucson, of course, it's Mexican).

Please have some good summer garden veggies and BBQ in my honor--can't get 'em here.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1