"No Go for Krispy Kreme"

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 20:40:10 (permalink)
PS.. Do enjoy reading your comments.. All points are well taken!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 21:07:17 (permalink)
I'll add here that Krispy Kremes started popping up here in Cincinnati a few years ago, and don't seem (overall) to be doing too well. The one on Ridge, for example, has long since been closed, it's building taken over by White Castle. I've tried a couple of varieties of their donuts, and found them to be small, pricey, and not of exceptional quality....just my opinion, and not saying that another might not find them to be excellent, as many of you clearly do.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/22 13:29:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic
Hmmm... Hate these political type arguments... But lets say a corporate company buys 50 tons of flour a week, thus creating major savings / discounts in their pockets! Small company gets "squeezed" because they're buying smaller quantities and not getting any savings... Thats one type of squeeze.

I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure the economics of it are quite so clear cut. For one thing, flour is an inexpensive commodity even in small quantities, so I'm not certain that the percentages are all that advantageous to Krispy Kreme. For another, your argument would logically suggest that because they get cheaper ingredients than a mom and pop, Krispy Kreme are able to undercut the M&P's prices. Yet my experience is that Krispy Kreme doughnuts are actually MORE expensive than doughnuts from local shops. My local Krispy Kreme, which is in the food court at the Prudential Center in Boston's Back Bay, charges $6.99 for an assorted dozen doughnuts. An assorted dozen at Twin Donuts, the M&P just up the street from me in Union Square Allston, is $4.99. Who's undercutting whom?

quote:
Never said KK was bad, but if one of my neighbors is trying to make a living I have to support him first!

A fair point, but not one that applies when it comes to doughnuts, at least not where I live. I mean, I buy almost all my CDs at Newbury Comics or Twisted Village instead of the Virgin Megastore, because they're local businesses. But both the local businesses and the chains are selling the exact same CDs. I can get the product I want from the local store as easily as I can from the chain. But as I said, there's not another place around Boston to buy southern-style doughnuts except for Krispy Kreme, and there's a big difference between the product at Krispy Kreme and the product at the local mom and pops. Why should I support the local business if they're not providing the product I really want? I consider myself a fairly altruistic guy, but I have my limits.

quote:
Or I can support a company paying it's employees minimum wage that wont even cover their rent nowdays (Yet making massive profits).

Again, a valid point...except that I'm willing to bet you a dozen doughnuts from the shop of your choice that the Russian immigrant teenagers who are manning the cash registers at the aforementioned Twin Donuts whenever I'm in there aren't making any more than the employees at Krispy Kreme, and I'm very doubtful that they have health insurance, much less a 401(k).
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/22 18:30:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

I supposed I shouldn't be surprised by the level of bald-faced elitism that some people on this site are constantly exhibiting -- "La la la, I've been to Polly's Pancake Parlor and that makes me better than anyone who's ever set foot in an IHOP, la la la" -- but somehow I always am. Who exactly are you to divine the motives of other people's food preferences?

Setting aside the Olive Garden example, which has no bearing at all on the matter at hand, does it seem impossible to you that there are many people out there who prefer southern-style, very sweet, raised yeast doughnuts to northern-style, less-sweet, unglazed cake doughnuts, and who think that Krispy Kreme consistently delivers an excellent example of same? Or that there are, shock horror, people like me who believe there's room for both Krispy Kreme and Kane's Donuts in the world? I don't get this either/or attitude at all.

What also puzzles me is the attitude that because Krispy Kreme is a chain, their dougnuts must by definition be inferior to those of a local mom and pop. While there are chain doughnuts that are inedible -- and living in Boston as I do, Exhibit A has a branch on every third street corner -- I can assure you that there are mom and pop stores that put out an inferior product as well, and Krispy Kreme has developed as wide as they have for as long as they have for one fundamental reason: there are no doughnut chains that do this style of doughnut better (Winchell's? Spudnuts? Gimme a break...), and only a few mom and pops that do it as well, practically none of them north of the Mason-Dixon line.

So. Do I really prefer Krispy Kreme doughnuts to what I'm likely to get at most local doughnut shops around me? Unless the local doughnut shop in question is either Kane's in Saugus or Donut Dip in West Springfield, then yeah. I prefer Krispy Kreme. Now tell me why this makes me a lesser mortal than yourself.

I can't let this one slip by. First of all, I don't think I am better than anyone else because I don't like Krispy Kreme . In fact, I've never been to Polly's Pancake House.

This is a forum about ROAD FOOD, not chain food. I went to Boston Market yesterday for lunch and had their southwestern salad, it doesn't mean I'm going to go on to this forum and discuss the merits of Boston Market vs Subway. It really isn't appropriate.

As far as Olive Garden is concerned, it definetely has bearing to this matter. There are some people out there who think that Olive Garden has the best "Gourmet Italian Cuisine" in fact doesn't Olive Garden advertise that their "chefs" train in Italy?? So just as some love Olive Garden, other's love Krispy Kreme.

Now, personally I don't care for Krispy Kreme, I dont' like their donuts, OK they are southern style sugar dontuts, however either you or someone else mentioned they have cake donuts too. I've had them and in my opinion, they are god awful. They couldn't hold a candle to week old donuts from Allies.

Overall, I don't think there is any elitism here, we're just talking about what we enjoy. Good local mom n' pop "eats"...

Now...back to our regularly scheduled program!....
angelfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/22 18:45:41 (permalink)
Again, to some of us, Krispy Kreme is the local, small, mom & pop donut of choice. When I was a girl it was very local, very mom & pop and very good. They were so good in fact, that they have expanded incredibly and still provide a product that is consistent from location to location and tastes the same today as they did when I was a child. Whether you like them or not, there is something to be said for that kind of growth and quality control. Not just anyone can do that.

Aside from that, franchise owners have neighbors and friends. If you liked them and your neighbor or friend owned a franchise, would you not support him?
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 08:30:56 (permalink)
Hey there! I am the one who mentioned they have cake donuts too! Give credit where credit is due! :) And I'll stand by them too. Much better than DD if you go to a chain doughut shop.

Hey Bishop, I have been to Twin Donuts! helped a friend move out of Allston and happened to drive by. Made them pull this huge Ryder Truck in there just so I could sample the fare. Not bad at all.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 09:48:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by renfrew

Hey there! I am the one who mentioned they have cake donuts too! Give credit where credit is due! :) And I'll stand by them too. Much better than DD if you go to a chain doughut shop.

Sorry Renfrew. I forgot who mentioned cake donuts @ Krispy Kreme. I agree, I don't care for the donuts at DD, however the cake donuts @ KK wouldn't hold a candle to 3 day old donuts @ honeydew, which in my opinion aren't bad at all, of course they're not Ma's or Allies, but they're ok in a pinch.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 12:08:35 (permalink)
i think we need to bring that assertion to a challenge...thre day olds from honeydew and kk.

Are we talking fresh KKs and 3 day olds from Honeydew? What variety?

I am willing to make an investment in the name of science.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 13:05:50 (permalink)
quote:

i think we need to bring that assertion to a challenge...thre day olds from honeydew and kk.

Are we talking fresh KKs and 3 day olds from Honeydew? What variety?

I am willing to make an investment in the name of science.

Fresh KK and 3 day old Honey Dew. Just the plain standard cake donut-
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 13:42:06 (permalink)
alright.....i'll will buy a honeydew cake donut today and let it sit for three days. Take my Honey Dew to KK and grab a fresh cake donut, go back to the car and compare.
Lucky Bishop
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 15:10:31 (permalink)
quote:

Hey Bishop, I have been to Twin Donuts! helped a friend move out of Allston and happened to drive by. Made them pull this huge Ryder Truck in there just so I could sample the fare. Not bad at all.

My wife, who has lived in Allston nearly her entire life, swears that Twin Donuts used to be the best doughnut shop in the world. I think their doughnuts taste like congealed wallpaper paste sprinked with nutmeg and fried in rancid bacon fat, but she occasionally gets a nostalgic craving.

You don't have to let a Honeydew doughnut sit for it to be three days old -- that's how they sell them!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 16:05:04 (permalink)
quote:

You don't have to let a Honeydew doughnut sit for it to be three days old -- that's how they sell them!

That's odd. The one near me taste fresh" />
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 16:28:36 (permalink)
I love a good debate.

As for the Sundancer, I think it is pretty evident that I have a neat appreciation for a KK.

Several years ago, I ate six of the hot rascals. Quiet frankly they were much better going down than they were about a hour later. For some reason they have a tendancy to expand.

Regardless, bring them on hot and fresh.

Unfortunately, I have not had one for almost 8 months.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 16:38:21 (permalink)
Going back to the original post, I would like to know what the best donuts in the Newington, Connecticut area are?

I worked on the Berlin Turnpike for many years in the early 90’s at the headquarters of Northeast Utilities (which is very close to the Krispy Kreme in Newington). Ever Friday morning we used to have a “goody” day, where someone in our department would bring in some type of goody to eat with morning coffee. The most popular choice was Dave’s Bagel’s. After that it was a toss-up between Dunkin’ Donuts (right across the street) and pastries from the now defunct Heartland Supermarket (the apple fritters were good). Only occasionally did someone bring in some good Roadfood type donuts. I forget where, but I think it was from somewhere east of the river.

So Hartford people, where are your best donuts?
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 22:04:02 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

Only thing I dislike is when they start putting a squeeze on the local mom and pop shops.. Rather keep my well spent money local then going to corporate america!

So tell me, what kind of "squeeze" are you suggesting KK puts on local shops? Making a product that people prefer? Those bastards! How dare they?
Hmmm... Hate these political type arguments... But lets say a corporate company buys 50 tons of flour a week, thus creating major savings / discounts in their pockets! Small company gets "squeezed" because they're buying smaller quantities and not getting any savings... Thats one type of squeeze. Never said KK was bad, but if one of my neighbors is trying to make a living I have to support him first! Or I can support a company paying it's employees minimum wage that wont even cover their rent nowdays (Yet making massive profits). Nuff said... Someone pass me a choclate coated cake dount please!

I will take a "mom and pop" donut shop any day of the week.........I love places that "put real lovin' in their cookin'...........
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/23 22:25:50 (permalink)
I have just one last thing to say about chain restaurants being discussed on these boards. I would just like to define what roadfood is supposed to be. A site devoted exclusively to finding the most memorable local
eateries along the highways and back roads of America

I think that this says it all and has nothing to do with discussions of McDonald's, Krispy Cremes, Olive Gardens and the like.................these are just examples of what these boards ARE NOT about.
Lucky Bishop
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/24 00:32:40 (permalink)
YEAH! Who the hell does that Michael Stern think he is, starting a thread about one of those evil chains! If he wants to talk about those evil chains, then he should go start his OWN website, about the food HE wants to talk about!

Oh, wait...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/24 10:28:15 (permalink)
quote:

YEAH! Who the hell does that Michael Stern think he is, starting a thread about one of those evil chains! If he wants to talk about those evil chains, then he should go start his OWN website, about the food HE wants to talk about!

Oh, wait...

Evil lawn and garden furniture, evil puppy dogs, evil employer want ads, evil sky diving...Wait a second...isn't this a site about ROAD FOOD?? Gee, I guess that makes every other topic EVIL...
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 08:24:28 (permalink)
Alright so I got a hot fresh KK cake donut today on the way to work. wnet back to my car and set it down next to the Honey Dew donut (three days old mind you). KK was a little smaller and the outside testure looked more appealing to me.

I bit into both....and promptly discarded the Honey Dew. It was stale and oily tasting. Just atrocious. My KK on the other hand was excellent. I wnet back in and got another one. Because after all, i was expecting to eat two donuts this morning, and I did not want to disappoint myself.

granted, not at all scientific but it gave me a fun excuse to eat donuts.

Bishop- Twin Donuts was not that bad at all when i had them. they were fresh and pretty tasty. I think I had a Boston Creme. Would I go back for em? Nah, they were not that special. But if I was in the area, i would grab one.

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 08:28:41 (permalink)
chezkatie -

what that quote means to me is that if i find a restuarant - be it chain or mom and pop - on the backroads or highways of america, then I can discuss it here on this forum. If I turn down a road in my town and see a McDonald's, then that is a local place.

I hear what you are saying, but chains are a fact of our lives. Some are good, most are bad. But they all make up a part of the food landscape.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 09:15:00 (permalink)
Do you still have the Mr. Donuts is Florida. I remember eating there several different times back in the 70's. My parents liked their brand of coffee so good that they would buy the lb cans to take back home to North Carolina
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

thewanderingjew,as is his fashion, hits the nail again. I live in Tampa which has 1/2 a dozen of these faux donut shops, air and sugar. I don't buy the 'light on' urban legend about showing up when they are fresh either.....Phillips diner seems to be my kind of place but, hold on to your hats, a buddy brought me a 'dunkin'donuts'plain cruller yesterday and it was not bad at all....go figure
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 09:36:29 (permalink)
They literally started construction on our new KK last Friday [digging up the parking lot where it will be situated]-theres a suicide watch out for our local DD franchisee as we speak! " />
MarjInAZ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 13:22:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

quote:

Only thing I dislike is when they start putting a squeeze on the local mom and pop shops.. Rather keep my well spent money local then going to corporate america!

So tell me, what kind of "squeeze" are you suggesting KK puts on local shops? Making a product that people prefer? Those bastards! How dare they?

So, tell me, do people really prefer that product, or do they prefer it because "it's the trendy thing to do" or because "everyone else does it". I can go to a local italian restaurant on a Saturday night, and chances are it's crowded, but you can usually be seated within 15 or 20 minutes, on the other hand OLIVE GARDEN is usually packed and theres at least a 90 minut wait. Come on, does Olive Garden really make a better product????
MarjInAZ
Junior Burger
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 13:32:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fcbaldwin

I've never thought that Krispy Kreme donuts were anything special. Pretty much straight sugar, as WJ said, boiled in oily fat. I'll take what's in that picture above everytime over a KK.

Frank

Having heard all the hype about KKs, I decided I had to have some. Found that they were terribly expensive and so small! Not worth it. Yes, I think my local Safeway's donuts are much better and fresher! It has everything to do with taste!
MarjInAZ
Junior Burger
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 13:36:25 (permalink)
This is my first real posting here. I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, but here goes again. Having heard all the hype about KKs, I decided I had to have some when they finally arrived in our area. Well...I thought the price was too dear for the little donuts they were selling. And the taste didn't really add up. I think my local Safeway makes better donuts! And yes, it really ends up to be a matter of taste. To each his/her own!
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 14:20:52 (permalink)
Thanks for the "Southern Maid" in Shreveport, LA mention! Anybody remember the mynah birds that would talk dirty to you while you waited for your parents to pay for the donuts? "Southern Maid" seems to be defunct and replaced by another Louisiana local chain, ie Shipley's. The tiny outlet in Natchitoches, LA is the place to be any Saturday morning-the earlier the better! The donuts sell before they're made (locals phone in their orders), but heaven on earth is 2 (or more!) fresh unglazed chocolate-iced still warm from the fryer!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 14:22:07 (permalink)
What about CRULLERS?
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 14:25:54 (permalink)
Crullers have been bastardized by Dunkind Donuts and made into sticks, I can oly find good crullers at the mom and pop ones.

Also, a style of donut that has gone into the donut past is the Long John, at least in the Northeast.Only oneplace I know still makes em and that is Butlers Colonial Donuts in Westport Ma.
Lucky Bishop
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 15:41:33 (permalink)
Renfrew: Donut Dip in West Springfield makes excellent long johns, filled and unfilled.

Darby Conley, the writer of the comic strip Get Fuzzy, is a Concord boy who lives in Cambridge (the strip is set in Boston), and at least three times in the last six months, some character has complained about Dunkin Donuts no longer making crullers.

Personally, I've never been a fan, although I do love a good French cruller, which is another matter entirely. As much as I love Krispy Kreme, I admit that their French crullers are pretty subpar. Even -- gag -- DD makes a better one. The French cruller is the only DD product I'll eat, in fact, although like any good Bostonian, I drink about 273 gallons of DD iced coffee over the course of the average summer.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/26 16:32:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

I will take a "mom and pop" donut shop any day of the week.........I love places that "put real lovin' in their cookin'...........

Amen! Now thats Roadfood at its finest!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1