"No Go for Krispy Kreme"

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1034
2004/04/15 10:49:28 (permalink)

"No Go for Krispy Kreme"

So reads the headline in the Hartford Courant. The K.K. that opened in Newington with such hoopla not so long ago has been forbidden by the town P&Z to ship donuts to local supermarkets. For me, the more interesting part of the story is that retail sales at the Newington store have dropped since it opened. Are Krispy Kremes not up to the high standards that prevail in Yankee donut shops???

63 Replies Related Threads

Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 10:53:18 (permalink)
    I'm a Yankee myself, but I've got to figure them's fighting words to some of our Southern brethren. Think I'll sit back and watch.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 11:51:31 (permalink)
    Even though I don't care for Krispy Kreme (or any other donut franchise for that matter) there are several here in Rhode Island that prefer Krispy Kreme over the local mom n pop shops (allie's, Ma's, etc) comparing those donuts to leaden concrete slabs. Of course I disagree, I'll take those leaden concrete slabs over boiled granulated sugar mixed with air anyday.
    Michael Stern
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 11:57:48 (permalink)
    When the warden asks me what I want for my last meal, if it's breakfast-time, I'll take this asymmetrical slab from Phillip's Diner:

fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 12:04:48 (permalink)
    I've never thought that Krispy Kreme donuts were anything special. Pretty much straight sugar, as WJ said, boiled in oily fat. I'll take what's in that picture above everytime over a KK.

Frank
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 12:15:46 (permalink)
    Give me Krispy Kreme hot out of the cooker any day; or cold out of the box; or warmed over in the mickeywave. MMMMMMMmmmmmmm.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 12:32:42 (permalink)
    Michael, you often talk about your last meal. What crime are you plotting that will call for such severe retribution?
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 12:40:04 (permalink)
    And I wonder what the rest of the story is?

Isn’t the Krispy Kreme on the Berlin Turnpike? Isn’t this a commercial area loaded with fast food, a drive-in, and other franchises? And what type of doughnut shops does Newington already have? Three or four Dunkin' Donuts shops are already in Newington. Hardly good New England donuts.

Methinks there’s more to this story.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 12:49:46 (permalink)
    The deal is that the Newington KK franchise was granted thier P and Z permits by the town with the promise that they would only be cooking donuts for that store. As it turns out they were manufacturing all night long and shipping to stores all over the state. The people who live nearby started to complain about the noise from the loading of trucks in the wee hours of the morning and they also did not dig the sickly sweet smell of the donuts cooking all day and all night every day.

Like any new thing in town, business was booming at first but then died down as everyone got used to the idea. I don't think they will ever go under, after all the shop is across the street from Conn DOT headquarters (Location, location, location)
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7298
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 14:29:18 (permalink)
    They're putting in a KK in Anchorage sometime soon. I don't care for them......too sweet for my tastes. But that donut in the picture sure does look wonderful!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 15:38:35 (permalink)
    i wonder if people realize that thier original glazed yeast donut is not the only one they have? Eventhough that is the one that is hyped a lot.

They also make some pretty damn good cake donuts. I thought perhaps these were afterthoughts in their reptoire, but have been pleasantly surprised on a consistent basis with the texture and freshness of these.

They have maybe four or five varieties of cake donuts. I'd love to heard from people about those. The original glazed may be their draw, but it is not their best doughnut.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 16:02:08 (permalink)
    Obviously popular here...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&ncid=583&e=12&u=/nm/20040414/od_nm/odd_doughnuts_dc
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 16:13:26 (permalink)
    I just read this.................I wonder how many Krispy Kremes he could "down"?
    Wis. Officer Takes Doughnut-Eating Prize
    Thu Apr 15, 9:08 AM ET

ROLLING MEADOWS, Ill. - A patrolman from Wisconsin left his opponents in a cloud of powdered sugar dust by downing 9 1/2 doughnuts in three minutes to win a doughnut-eating contest for police officers in suburban Chicago.

Terry O'Brien of the Town of Geneva Police Department in Lake Geneva, Wis., said he was destined to win Wednesday's contest because law enforcement runs in his family.

"Actually, it was my father, who's deceased," O'Brien said. "He was a Chicago cop, a lifer. Today is his birthday."

For the second year in a row, the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association held the contest at its annual conference. The Dunkin' Donuts World Cop Donut Eating Championship attracted 40 contestants from the U.S. and Canada.

Master of Ceremonies Ed Nowicki said he was amazed by what it took to win this year.

"I thought they'd do seven (doughnuts), maybe they'd do eight," Nowicki said. "I couldn't believe 10!"

Money raised through the entry fee and T-shirt sales was donated to the Law Enforcement Memorial Fund and the International Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Association scholarship fund.
    Michael Stern
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 16:29:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

Michael, you often talk about your last meal. What crime are you plotting that will call for such severe retribution?

I'm not plotting anything. And I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out on any crimes I committed in more wayward days. But just in case, I believe it's good policy to know what you're going to order before the waiter comes!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 17:00:23 (permalink)
    thewanderingjew,as is his fashion, hits the nail again. I live in Tampa which has 1/2 a dozen of these faux donut shops, air and sugar. I don't buy the 'light on' urban legend about showing up when they are fresh either.....Phillips diner seems to be my kind of place but, hold on to your hats, a buddy brought me a 'dunkin'donuts'plain cruller yesterday and it was not bad at all....go figure
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 20:50:54 (permalink)
    We had a Krispy Kreme open here in town a little over a year ago... I actually thought they where pretty tasty! But then just about any fresh dounut will satisfy me! Only thing I dislike is when they start putting a squeeze on the local mom and pop shops.. Rather keep my well spent money local then going to corporate america!
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/15 22:32:31 (permalink)
    In Bristol, RI a battle brews over the opening of a Dunkin' Donut ...
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/16 08:13:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

We had a Krispy Kreme open here in town a little over a year ago... I actually thought they where pretty tasty! But then just about any fresh dounut will satisfy me! Only thing I dislike is when they start putting a squeeze on the local mom and pop shops.. Rather keep my well spent money local then going to corporate america!

As has been stated by someone before, for some of us Krispy Kreme IS the local donut. In that they are branching far and wide is a measure of their success.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/16 08:39:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood
    As has been stated by someone before, for some of us Krispy Kreme IS the local donut. In that they are branching far and wide is a measure of their success.

When I first moved to Seattle in 92 Starbucks was still the local coffee house. They had just branched out and opened their first coffee house outside of the Pacific NW in Denver. Well, here it is 12 years later and the quality of their coffee has "tanked". I would sooner go to my local coffee house than Starbucks anyday. Then again if I had a choice between Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts coffee which is so popular here in Rhode Island, I know I would choose the lesser of the two evils
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/16 08:40:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Originally posted by angelfood

When I first moved to Seattle in 92 Starbucks was still the local coffee house. They had just branched out and opened their first coffee house outside of the Pacific NW in Denver. Well, here it is 12 years later and the quality of their coffee has "tanked". I would sooner go to my local coffee house than Starbucks anyday. Then again if I had a choice between Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts coffee which is so popular here in Rhode Island, I know I would choose the lesser of the two evils

I also noticed I inserted the "devil smilie" on post # 666!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/16 08:41:11 (permalink)
    The "light on" is not an urban legend. When that light is on, they are making their original glazed.

Again. those air and sugar donuts that people dont like (personally i do like them, but not my favorite) are not their only donuts. They do make cake donuts as well and they are nowhere near as sweet.
    Hollyfood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/16 14:36:32 (permalink)
    We had a KK open on Wilshire Blvd. here in Santa Monica a few months back. But after some initial interest (myself included) business looks to be pretty slow there as the neighborhood has gone back to buying cheapear and better donuts at the many local shops. I was frankly surprised at what a shockingly sugary/fatty punch KK's classic glazed carries compared to others.
    bkreger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/16 23:02:06 (permalink)
    Best donuts I ever had were Southern Maids in Shreveport, Louisiana...

http://www.southernmaiddonutsshv.com/menu.html
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/17 11:12:19 (permalink)
    As someone who works in sales nothing irks me more than hearing "we like to buy local". I usually ask the receptionist if they only sell locally as well. They get this weird look on their face and say "well we would go out of business" and of course me reply is "me too". We started out as a mom and pop shop. You can either grow to compete, or offer something the big boys can't, service, atmosphere etc. Beat me on price, quality or service. But please don't tell me I lost because I wasn't local.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 13:24:33 (permalink)
    quote:

Only thing I dislike is when they start putting a squeeze on the local mom and pop shops.. Rather keep my well spent money local then going to corporate america!

So tell me, what kind of "squeeze" are you suggesting KK puts on local shops? Making a product that people prefer? Those bastards! How dare they?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 14:17:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:

Only thing I dislike is when they start putting a squeeze on the local mom and pop shops.. Rather keep my well spent money local then going to corporate america!

So tell me, what kind of "squeeze" are you suggesting KK puts on local shops? Making a product that people prefer? Those bastards! How dare they?

So, tell me, do people really prefer that product, or do they prefer it because "it's the trendy thing to do" or because "everyone else does it". I can go to a local italian restaurant on a Saturday night, and chances are it's crowded, but you can usually be seated within 15 or 20 minutes, on the other hand OLIVE GARDEN is usually packed and theres at least a 90 minut wait. Come on, does Olive Garden really make a better product????
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 14:52:56 (permalink)
    Hollyfood has got it right about KK and the good taste of many Santa Monicans. But, I've known that guy for quite a few years; beware of him- he can be SNARKY...
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 16:38:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew
    So, tell me, do people really prefer that product, or do they prefer it because "it's the trendy thing to do" or because "everyone else does it". I can go to a local italian restaurant on a Saturday night, and chances are it's crowded, but you can usually be seated within 15 or 20 minutes, on the other hand OLIVE GARDEN is usually packed and theres at least a 90 minut wait. Come on, does Olive Garden really make a better product????

I supposed I shouldn't be surprised by the level of bald-faced elitism that some people on this site are constantly exhibiting -- "La la la, I've been to Polly's Pancake Parlor and that makes me better than anyone who's ever set foot in an IHOP, la la la" -- but somehow I always am. Who exactly are you to divine the motives of other people's food preferences?

Setting aside the Olive Garden example, which has no bearing at all on the matter at hand, does it seem impossible to you that there are many people out there who prefer southern-style, very sweet, raised yeast doughnuts to northern-style, less-sweet, unglazed cake doughnuts, and who think that Krispy Kreme consistently delivers an excellent example of same? Or that there are, shock horror, people like me who believe there's room for both Krispy Kreme and Kane's Donuts in the world? I don't get this either/or attitude at all.

What also puzzles me is the attitude that because Krispy Kreme is a chain, their dougnuts must by definition be inferior to those of a local mom and pop. While there are chain doughnuts that are inedible -- and living in Boston as I do, Exhibit A has a branch on every third street corner -- I can assure you that there are mom and pop stores that put out an inferior product as well, and Krispy Kreme has developed as wide as they have for as long as they have for one fundamental reason: there are no doughnut chains that do this style of doughnut better (Winchell's? Spudnuts? Gimme a break...), and only a few mom and pops that do it as well, practically none of them north of the Mason-Dixon line.

So. Do I really prefer Krispy Kreme doughnuts to what I'm likely to get at most local doughnut shops around me? Unless the local doughnut shop in question is either Kane's in Saugus or Donut Dip in West Springfield, then yeah. I prefer Krispy Kreme. Now tell me why this makes me a lesser mortal than yourself.
    dixiebrave
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 19:04:05 (permalink)
    AMEN!!!!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: "No Go for Krispy Kreme" 2004/04/21 20:38:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:

Hmmm... Hate these political type arguments... But lets say a corporate company buys 50 tons of flour a week, thus creating major savings / discounts in their pockets! Small company gets "squeezed" because they're buying smaller quantities and not getting any savings... Thats one type of squeeze. Never said KK was bad, but if one of my neighbors is trying to make a living I have to support him first! Or I can support a company paying it's employees minimum wage that wont even cover their rent nowdays (Yet making massive profits). Nuff said... Someone pass me a choclate coated cake dount please!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1