No Jimmies ????

Author
Tiramisu
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
2005/06/08 20:32:48 (permalink)

No Jimmies ????

I can remember chocolate sprinkles. We called them Jimmies. They tasted like chocolate, because they were chocolate. The new Jimmies (if you can find them) are hard, and mostly sugar. The texture should not be hard and crunchy. Jimmies should caress the inside of the palate.kind of semi-hard..I like at least a half a cup of jimmies....on my ice cream. I think many young people are being cheated by bad jimmies...because they have never had good jimmies. Imagine chocolate chip...with no chips...that's how it is to get bad jimmies. You feel cheated.
And another thing....do they still have that red coating dip for the dip cones ? I remember butterscotch, chocolate, and the red.

16 Replies Related Threads

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/09 21:35:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tiramisu

I can remember chocolate sprinkles. We called them Jimmies. They tasted like chocolate, because they were chocolate. The new Jimmies (if you can find them) are hard, and mostly sugar. The texture should not be hard and crunchy. Jimmies should caress the inside of the palate.kind of semi-hard..I like at least a half a cup of jimmies....on my ice cream. I think many young people are being cheated by bad jimmies...because they have never had good jimmies. Imagine chocolate chip...with no chips...that's how it is to get bad jimmies. You feel cheated.
    And another thing....do they still have that red coating dip for the dip cones ? I remember butterscotch, chocolate, and the red.

I miss both the "Jimmies" and the red dip for Ice Cream Cones. Years ago they also had a green dip, but this must of been 35 to 40 years ago!

Jimmies were also know as sprinkles, bugs, worms, and etc.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/09 22:14:57 (permalink)
    The crap they feed to kids these days. I'm sure those things are all trans fats and artificial colors.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/09 22:22:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dctourist

The crap they feed to kids these days. I'm sure those things are all trans fats and artificial colors.

Yeah, you're right!! It be a lot better to feed them the Jimmies that
    Tiramisu and I was talking about, in our post! Jimmies were in the 1940's to 1970's! I agree with You that they should quit feeding the kids the so called crap. And start feeding them things like Jimmies, Jimmies, are food from the "Good Ole Days"!
    Tiramisu
    Hamburger
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/11 19:28:57 (permalink)
    Here's a visual : Standing outside the worlds best Ice Cream shoppe....in your favorite place on earth..eating a red dipped frozen custard...that has been dipped in a HUGE pile of real chocolate Jimmies.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/11 22:50:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tiramisu

Here's a visual : Standing outside the worlds best Ice Cream shoppe....in your favorite place on earth..eating a red dipped frozen custard...that has been dipped in a HUGE pile of real chocolate Jimmies.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    benjo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/14 08:12:03 (permalink)
    Where did you all grow up? My wife calls them Jimmies, too, and until now was the only person I knew who called sprinkles by that name.
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/14 09:27:39 (permalink)
    That red dip stuff is cherry-that's what they told us the other day when my
    husband got one.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/14 09:32:02 (permalink)
    I never did like sprinkles, they always seemed too hard and waxy. Maybe the people who called them jimmies got the tasty ones.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/14 09:38:31 (permalink)
    'jimmies' refer to the Jimmy Fund, a fund raising non-profit (polio?) started (I think) by the Boston Red Sox and Ted Williams in the early '50s. The extra money for the jimmies was susposed to be donated to the fund.
    Red cherry dip (and other flavors) is still available at lots of soft-serve places in New England.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/14 09:40:41 (permalink)
    They've been called Jimmies in Philadelphia way before the 50's and it has nothing to do with the Jimmy Fund or The Red Sox.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/14 12:34:10 (permalink)
    I am answering a couple of questions.

1. The Jimmies I liked, were soft, taste like chocolate and wasn't waxy!

2. I grew up in Niles, Michigan, which is near the Indiana-Michigan Stateline. Niles is about 8 miles north of the University of Notre Dame.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/17 21:25:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, we always called them jimmies too (I grew up in Philadelphia). My former husband called them sprinkles. He's from Minnesota. I told him that sprinkles are those crunchy crystal things that turn your tongue red. I don't really remember the red-dipped cones...maybe vaguely, I was probably turned off by them and blocked them out mentally. They just sound gross, really. For me it's chocolate or nothing. And I don't even like the hard shell dipped so much as chocolate sauce on it. But I do like rainbow jimmies.

On custard. Not ice cream...custard! Please patronize your local custard stand today! And don't get pieces of candy on your custard...get jimmies!
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/17 23:28:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Yeah, we always called them jimmies too (I grew up in Philadelphia). My former husband called them sprinkles. He's from Minnesota. I told him that sprinkles are those crunchy crystal things that turn your tongue red. I don't really remember the red-dipped cones...maybe vaguely, I was probably turned off by them and blocked them out mentally. They just sound gross, really. For me it's chocolate or nothing. And I don't even like the hard shell dipped so much as chocolate sauce on it. But I do like rainbow jimmies.

On custard. Not ice cream...custard! Please patronize your local custard stand today! And don't get pieces of candy on your custard...get jimmies!

I just yesterday got a vanilla frozen custard, dipped in cherry dip, at a Kohr Bros (same store in your picture).

They only offer chocolate and cherry, but I also remember butterscotch and green from a long time ago. I'm guessing the green was lime (I think it was to bright to be mint), but I don't know for sure because I never had one.

Dipped Soft-serve ice cream (if it's good quality-has to be creamy, not gritty) or custard is one of my all-time favorites. I've tried Magic Shell, and whatever the other brand is, that are sold in the supermarket, and while it's ok, it's not the same.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/18 00:36:19 (permalink)
    Tiramisu: I remember pink (probably strawberry) and green (lime) dips for cones. Never have been much on sprinkles, nuts, etc., but am addicted to Magic Shell.
    Tiramisu
    Hamburger
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/20 13:19:47 (permalink)
    Where did you all grow up? My wife calls them Jimmies, too, and until now was the only person I knew who called sprinkles by that name.

I grew up in Maryland/DC area. It has changed so much, I get depressed when I go there, but I CAN find some old food haunts. I LOVE the photo of the rainbow sprinkles ! Yes..REAL Jimmies are soft, and chocolate. I guess in a pinch, we could grate some semi sweet chocolate onto our ice cream.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: No Jimmies ???? 2005/06/20 13:58:46 (permalink)
    When I was growing up we called it chocolate shot. Actually, most of us called them ants. I never heard them called sprinkles or jimmies until a few years ago.

Boy, when Teddy Janetopolous dipped a cone into the ants he'd twist it to get the most on the ice cream. Yum!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1