No frog legs in/around Melbourne,Fla.???

Author
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
2007/12/21 20:00:14 (permalink)

No frog legs in/around Melbourne,Fla.???

When I was a kid growing up in the northern burbs of Detroit, my dad used to take me and my brothers to this bar/restaurant that served all you can eat frog legs for like 5.00. They were served deep fried and sauted in garlic and butter...and were to DIE for! Moved to Upper Michigan 20 years ago, and have NEVER seen them on any menu I have encountered! Flash back a month ago....me and fiance go to Melbourne Florida for his sons wedding...I think I am gonna be in heaven(assuming froglegs are a dime a dozen there) and we could not find one place that serves them!! What gives???? I miss my froglegs so.......................... Lindsey in da U.P.

5 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    RE: No frog legs in/around Melbourne,Fla.??? 2007/12/21 23:30:44 (permalink)
    Well, you missed by about two months. The[url='http://www.froglegfestival.com/']Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival[/url] is held in January - about 20 miles south of Melbourne.

As far as frog legs on the menu in restaurants, I haven't seen them in awhile. There was a place called Wally's Pad that served them, but it closed down a few years back.

On the other hand, you are maybe the first person I know of who ever associated Melbourne, Florida with easy accessibility to frog legs. Maybe I am just running with the wrong crowd, but I have never been with anyone who was looking for frog legs here - maybe that's why Wally's didn't make it!
    docputer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: No frog legs in/around Melbourne,Fla.??? 2008/09/21 01:31:52 (permalink)
    It seems like Frog Legs were much more common years ago. One place I know that serves them is a ways from Melbourne. Catfish Johnny's in Lake Panasoffkee, Florida has deep fried frog legs.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: No frog legs in/around Melbourne,Fla.??? 2008/09/21 11:13:42 (permalink)
    Why not just gig some frogs in season and make them yourself. There's nothing like saddle of frog sauteed in butter.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: No frog legs in/around Melbourne,Fla.??? 2008/09/21 16:49:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Why not just gig some frogs in season and make them yourself. There's nothing like saddle of frog sauteed in butter.

The last time I was gigging was about 15 years ago. I owned a furniture factory in Decatur, TN which sat on about 15 acres. I had a three acre lake and I was gigging about 10PM. I was walking in the pond about a couple of feet from shore shining my light toward the bank. My light hit on a copper head snake that was on the shore line. My gigging was over for the night.

I did have about a dozen frogs though.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: No frog legs in/around Melbourne,Fla.??? 2008/09/21 17:34:14 (permalink)
    My first experience gigging frogs was along irrigation ditches around Coalinga, California back in the '50s. I'm still surprised that I ever considered going again after that first outing. We'd been drinking in a bar in Coalinga when someone got the great idea, as it was close to midnight, to go frog gigging. There were five or six of us -- and two gigs. I was first gigged in my butt while bending over and shining a light on the ditch.
    Next, I was gigged in my right foot while standing around minding my business.

I do remember that we had a flour sack full of frogs when we left, but that's about it in terms of memory.

Oh, did I mention that we'd brought a couple of bottles of booze with us?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1