No more smoking!
I bet he gave up smoking after this.
Mike Hartnett, 36, of
Omaha, Neb., had found a firework shell in his son's closet. He pulled
it out to get rid of it when a hot ash fell from his cigarette and
ignited the fuse. He told his son to run, but didn't drop the device.
It exploded, blowing out the window and shredding his hands. "Some of
my fingers were off, some were still hanging," Harnett said. Doctors
considered removing both hands entirely, but a plastic surgeon managed
to save two fingers on each hand. "He saved me," Hartnett said, and
"gave me a fighting chance." And the lesson he learned? "I'd tell
people to soak [fireworks] in water and get rid of them as fast as you
can." (Omaha World-Herald) ...Of the hundreds of thousands of people
who will read this story, I'll bet more than 99 percent will see a far