The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 1:19 PM (permalink)
Have you noticed all the places adopting sliders all of a sudden.  A sign of our economic times.  I'm sure Krystal and White Castle are not thrilled with this new trend. 

These places like steak n shake can try to make their own version of a slider, but they will never duplicate my beloved White Castlesl..It's all in that bun!

Food_Fan

• Total Posts: 139
    Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 2:47 PM (permalink)
    Baah Ben,

A slider ain’t a slider unless it’s cooked on a grill that holds the chopped onions and the water that they came in and steams/fry’s the burgers. A little hamburger placed on a little bun is not a slider!

For me the White Castle meat in combination with the steamed bun and onions is the thing. I rarely order a cheeseburger and never put ketchup on them. I just want the unadulterated flavor.

Does Krystal's make their burgers the same way as White Castle?

I've looked everywhere and can't find a picture or video that shows Krystal's hamburgers cooking on the grill.
    <message edited by Food_Fan on Mon, 03/23/09 2:51 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
      Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 3:24 PM (permalink)
      Food_Fan

Baah Ben,

A slider ain’t a slider unless it’s cooked on a grill that holds the chopped onions and the water that they came in and steams/fry’s the burgers. A little hamburger placed on a little bun is not a slider!

It can be. What it cannot be is a Slyder. That's White Castle's trademarked name.

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
        Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 3:44 PM (permalink)
        I am even seeing "trio of sliders" being listed in fancier restaurants.  Each one have a varying number of different toppings. While that may be fine for some, I stay loyal to the Castle.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
          Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 3:58 PM (permalink)
          Who is/was sneering?  And, why would White Castle/Krystal not be happy about more people being familiarized with their product?

As GNeedles59 points out, there are more upscale restaurants offering this type of product.  If it becomes commonplace for people to pay more for this type of burger, couldn't that then translate into WC being able to charge more for their "original" product?

What bugs me is the all-of-a-sudden proliferation of "sliders" on menus all over town.  It is a gimmicky trend, IM (never-at-all) HO.  I think the marketing idea behind it is that people will THINK that they are eating healthier - or a way to offer smaller portion sizes for the same amount of money.  I suspect that these must be somewhat popular, but it does seem like this trend sprung up overnight.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 4:26 PM (permalink)
             The other 'slang terms' I have heard/used to describe and label the W C Burgers were Rectum Rockets and Belly Bombers. I think the bean-counting marketing folks probably picked the 'cleanest' of the terms they could for the competing products. If one stops to consider that 'Slider' refers to the amount of grease in the sandwich that then coats the consumer's Digestive Tract to allow the menu item to progress  "unchecked" thru the customers "System". (end-to-end, so to speak!)
            <message edited by mayor al on Mon, 03/23/09 4:28 PM>

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1933
              Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 4:30 PM (permalink)
              Food_Fan

Does Krystal's make their burgers the same way as White Castle?

I've looked everywhere and can't find a picture or video that shows Krystal's hamburgers cooking on the grill.

They're cooked pretty much the same way.  Krystal patties don't have the steam holes in them, however.  Krystal adds dill pickle and yellow mustard to each burger, unless requested otherwise. 

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1933
                Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 4:37 PM (permalink)
                By the way, I often order breakfast sliders at Krystal, though I get strange looks from the counter person.  

A breakfast slider is a regular Krystal burger with cheese and a fried egg (not the prefab eggs).  It's GREAT!!!!  Try three of those with a cup of coffee!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 6:15 PM (permalink)
                  mayor al

If one stops to consider that 'Slider' refers to the amount of grease in the sandwich that then coats the consumer's Digestive Tract to allow the menu item to progress  "unchecked" thru the customers "System". (end-to-end, so to speak!)

Ah, but with White Castles there is no grease as the burgers are steam-cooked atop a bed of onions and never touch the flat grill.

beijinger

• Total Posts: 180
                    Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 6:43 PM (permalink)
                    Though i've been known to down a sack or too, what i don't like about White Castle's is the $1000 flight ticket from Beijing and the fact no matter how many i buy they disappear mid-atlantic.

djmsalem

Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 6:43 PM (permalink)

Ah, but with White Castles there is no grease as the burgers are steam-cooked atop a bed of onions and never touch the flat grill

Except for that which may already be in the slyder...

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                        Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 7:17 PM (permalink)
                        Michael - Slyder huh...Ok.  You learn something every day.  I always thought the reason they called them sliders or slyders had to do with something that happened the following day after eating them?

Also, a lot of people rightly or wrongly associate these mini burgers with the term slider.  Do you agree?

These restaurants are trying to keep people coming out to dine by offering these lower priced options.  My first thought also is they are fooling the public.  Yes, you are paying less out of your pocket, but you are getting less.  For a hungry person, use to a standard sized burger, these three mimi whatevers may not suffice.

Hey, I'm not a fan of Steak n Shake or any of these places.  I will eat a Krystal.   Food-Fan - They are not as good as White Castles...But they are not bad.  I have them once a month...

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                          Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 7:58 PM (permalink)
                          GNeedles59

I am even seeing "trio of sliders" being listed in fancier restaurants.  Each one have a varying number of different toppings. While that may be fine for some, I stay loyal to the Castle.

Well, they got smart.  They used to sell a burger for let's say, $12.  Now, they take 1/2 the meat, divided into 3, add a cple of buns and some topping and sell it for $10!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 8:11 PM (permalink)
                            djmsalem

Ah, but with White Castles there is no grease as the burgers are steam-cooked atop a bed of onions and never touch the flat grill

Except for that which may already be in the slyder...

White Castle uses an 85-15 ground beef. No, I'd say it's not already in the Slyder.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 8:15 PM (permalink)
                              Baah Ben

Michael - Slyder huh...Ok.  You learn something every day.  I always thought the reason they called them sliders or slyders had to do with something that happened the following day after eating them?

Also, a lot of people rightly or wrongly associate these mini burgers with the term slider.  Do you agree?

White Castle took slider and made it Slyder. Yes, White Castle fans used the term slider as you suggest. White Castle turned it into a marketing tool by adopting it and changing the spelling.

I have no idea what people associate mini-burgers with. The fact is, most Americans have never come within shooting distance of a White Castle restaurant and wouldn't know why the bandwagon places use the term to describe their little, overpriced, burger bites.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4466
                                Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Mon, 03/23/09 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                Baah Ben

Have you noticed all the places adopting sliders all of a sudden.  A sign of our economic times.  I'm sure Krystal and White Castle are not thrilled with this new trend. 

These places like steak n shake can try to make their own version of a slider, but they will never duplicate my beloved White Castlesl..It's all in that bun!

You are spot-on Baah Ben.  I don't think we have seen the last of this trend.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                  Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Fri, 04/3/09 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                  Haven't tried the Krystal's in Live Oak yet. Did see at the Jack In The Box in Universal City that Jack has sliders, only they are mini sirloin burgers, of course they are nothing like the White Castle ones.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                    Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Fri, 04/3/09 11:15 AM (permalink)
                                    the Lil ol Caboose in Deerfield Beach , FL has a "boxcar" burger that tastes nearly IDENTICAL to the White Castle version!
                                    So much so that I bet you could'nt tell the difference in a blindfolded taste test..

I will post pic later of it when I get home from work....

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                      Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Fri, 04/3/09 8:41 PM (permalink)
                                      That's what I've noticed too. I was at Heartland Brewery at the South Street Seaport  last night. There were 4 of us and we ordered 4 appetizers,  one of which was 4 sliders for $9.99, which adds up to about $10 for what is essentially a quarter pound of meat.  It strikes me as just a way to increase the profit margins. And they were not nearly as good as White Castle.

ellen4641

Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Sat, 04/4/09 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                        Lil ol Caboose, Deerfield Beach, FL (on Powerline Road, just south of Target and Shorty's BBQ) ....  
                                        These BOXCAR burgers taste even more like White Castle Sliders than at some of the White Castle's I've been to.........!!

Date eaten: March 2009
                                        I also had the $4.00 Sabrett hot dog, fries and drink special...  

<message edited by ellen4641 on Sat, 04/4/09 9:02 AM>

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                          Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Sat, 04/4/09 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                          Sliders have never been much of an item here in the pacific northwest so my experience has been mostly with Krystal's in the south. I suspect their newfound popularity is part of a culinary trend towards "American "roots" food where chefs fancy up American standards(chicken fried steak with Kobe beef, meat loaf with fancier prices, cheeseburgers with gourmet cheeses ) and an eager public laps them up at much higher prices.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                            Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Sat, 04/4/09 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                            Ellen-your food pics made my mouth water! What did the burgers cost?

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                              Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Sat, 04/4/09 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                              annpeeples

thanks, Ann!
                                              94 cents for a single burger;
                                              I had the double cheeseburger that was in the photo; I believe it was $2.08

Sliders are no longer quite the bargain they used to be, huh?!?
                                              Still a lot cheaper than those gourmet sliders, though..

<message edited by ellen4641 on Sat, 04/4/09 2:51 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Sat, 04/4/09 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                                I just paid 65 cents each for Castles. The cheese Castles are 70 cents each, and the double cheese Castles are 97 cents each.

Of course, this is at White Castle.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                                  Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Sat, 04/11/09 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                                  Flavor-wise, White Castle burgers aren't as tasty as they were years ago ( dehydrated onions, perhaps? ), but they're still better than those less-than-flavorful little things that they serve at Krystal's.

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
                                                    Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Wed, 04/15/09 10:54 AM (permalink)
                                                    White Castle started here in Wichita,Kansas in 1921, and there's a nice White Castle exhibit at the Kansas Museum of History - you would Think that you could get a White Castle slider in Kansas, wouldn't you?

But NO - there are no White Castles anywhere in the entire State! There used to be a couple in Kansas City, but they closed several years ago. I think the closest locations are in St. Louis,MO.

Really annnoys me.

MiamiDon

Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Wed, 04/15/09 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                                      ellen4641

annpeeples

thanks, Ann!
                                                      94 cents for a single burger;
                                                      I had the double cheeseburger that was in the photo; I believe it was $2.08

Sliders are no longer quite the bargain they used to be, huh?!?
                                                      Still a lot cheaper than those gourmet sliders, though..

I gobbled up a couple from Arnold's Royal Castle the other day, and the were $0.99 each.  Not exactly a bargain, but they were tasty.   I've never had "the real thing" from White Castle.

tdj_tx

• Total Posts: 135
                                                        Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Thu, 06/10/10 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                                        mayor al

The other 'slang terms' I have heard/used to describe and label the W C Burgers were Rectum Rockets and Belly Bombers. I think the bean-counting marketing folks probably picked the 'cleanest' of the terms they could for the competing products. If one stops to consider that 'Slider' refers to the amount of grease in the sandwich that then coats the consumer's Digestive Tract to allow the menu item to progress  "unchecked" thru the customers "System". (end-to-end, so to speak!)

I totally agree, the term 'Slider' was derogatory, as was 'Rectum Rockets', and as we called them 'Gut Bombs'.  Everytime I see that commercial for the 'Slider Station' it cracks me up. I automatically think 'Rectum Rocket Station' wouldn't have sounded as good :-)

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                                                          • Location: mansfield, TX
                                                          Re:Nobody is sneering at sliders anymore Thu, 06/10/10 9:58 PM (permalink)
                                                          sliders suck!  Why eat 3 buns with a little meat when you can have one normal bun with lots of juicy delicious meat.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com