Non Traditional for Thanksgiving

Author
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 473
2003/11/10 09:49:00 (permalink)

Non Traditional for Thanksgiving

Hubby and I will be eating alone for Thanksgiving, (grown kids will be eating with their in-laws this year). Since neither of us are wild about turkey, we have decided to fix ourselves some prime rib this year. A rib roast is rather expensive, and I sure don't want to ruin it...so can anybody tell me how they prepare it? Thanks in advance.

17 Replies Related Threads

spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/10 09:53:27 (permalink)
    I've mentioned before in another thread that at a place I used to work, the proprietor cut the rib roast into steaks and grilled them.
    Maybe your butcher could do this for you, or do it yourself.
    I used a marinade of soy and worchestershire and soaked overnight, then grilled out over the charcoal (or gas).
    A unique way to eat prime rib and celebrate in an alternative fashion.
    Happy holiday
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/10 10:00:52 (permalink)
    Skylar, I always make a untraditional thanksgiving meal. Last year it was chicken cordon bleu. This year, pork roast. Anyway, the December issue of Bon Appetit (it has a cranberry tart on the cover) has a delicous sounding recipe for a rib roast. You might want to peek at it next time you are in the line at the supermarket, see if it sounds like something you could adapt for two.

Happy Thanksgiving! (Gosh I love this holiday!)
    Meowzart
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/10 10:49:35 (permalink)
    I always like to cut little slits all around my rib roast and put in a garlic clove, a sprig of rosemary and an sprig of tyme !!
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/10 16:19:51 (permalink)
    Our non-Traditional Thanksgiving has for years been to have grilled catfish...but now I guess it has become our tradition. Although one year I did have to take a turkey breast for the grill, as well. Yummy!
    ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/10 17:04:13 (permalink)
    I did a rockfish stuffed with crab for Thanksgiving one year. Due to having just found out I was diabetic before the holiday that year I couldn't bear to face a traditional carb laden dinner. To tell the truth, I was a lot more thankful for that rockfish than I have been for many a turkey
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/10 19:19:51 (permalink)
    I find the most important thing with roasts is letting it sit or rest. A standing rib needs a good 1/2 hour rest before attack with the knife. When you cook, the juices all run into the middle. Letting it sit gets them back through the meat. This is true of all large things from the oven, turkeys, lamb etc.

Being from Canada we have Thanksgiving in early October. Far too early. However I do celebrate with you guys in November. Just another reason for another large gathering based on food and giving thanks for the good harvest and year.

Happy Holiday
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/11 07:30:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumbelly

Being from Canada we have Thanksgiving in early October. Far too early. However I do celebrate with you guys in November. Just another reason for another large gathering based on food and giving thanks for the good harvest and year.

Happy Holiday

Well if your celebrating ours for an extra holiday--may we ought do yours next year too!!SO--what what is a traditional Canandian Thanksgiving dinner---and is it a big a pig out there as is here---and does it include football
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/11 09:00:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki
    does it include football

Nah...probably includes hockey!
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/11 11:54:18 (permalink)
    These are all excellent suggestions, thanks everyone! I guess my next concern will be if I can afford a rib roast...I've heard the price of beef is going to rise sharply in the next few weeks.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/11 16:29:40 (permalink)
    Yep, I read that even McD will be raising prices of their hamburgers.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/11 23:28:40 (permalink)
    A beef rib roast is one of the easiest things to cook and carve- if the butcher has done his job properly. Make sure he has removed the chine, and left a nice layer of fat on top and tied it up properly.

Coat it well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Chop up some onions (garlic if you like), carrotts, and celery and put them in the roasting pan , place a rack on top of the mirepoix , the roast on the rack and put in a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 350 and cook 'till the internal temperature is 135 degrees for rare ( about 15 minutes per pound). Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before carving - more time for a larger roast.

Pour off most of the fat from the roasting pan ( save it if you want to make Yorkshire pudding), deglaze the pan with some good red wine, and make a gravy or just use the juice after it has cooked down a bit- be sure to pour any juices that have come out of the roast on the cooling platter back into the roasting pan - lots of flavor there!

Dont be a cheapskate with this roast. Shop around till you find a real prime rib or at least the very top of the choice - It'll probably cost you somewhere between 8 and 12 dollars per pound this year.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/11 23:42:22 (permalink)
    skylarOne, you'll find EVERYTHING you need to know about standing rib roasts here, in the transcript for the episode of Good Eats called "Celebrity Roast":

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season5/Roast/RoastTranscript.htm
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/12 10:50:39 (permalink)
    Prime rib is a great choice for Thanksgiving if you are turkey'd out or just don't care for it. I do mine low and slow. I put the roast in the fridge for 2 to 3 days to age. I cook in a 225 to 250 degree oven and use an electonic temperature probe to a doneness of 130 degrees in the center. I find when I cook low and slow, the temperature does not continue to rise when I remove the roast to rest. I then remove all the bones with one horizontal slice and reserve for leftover Fred Flintstone type eating. You now have a boneless roast to cut at any desired thickness.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/12 21:49:46 (permalink)
    Tiki;
    Where I live we a lot of people cook lamb. A leg or racks are popular but I dust off the pig spit and do a whole one. Crisp outside, pink middle and the kidneys cook perfectly rolling around in the gut cavity. Baste with beer and present Ann Boleyn style (headless). I've never had a problem with pigs but lamb heads have made people run screaming. It does remind one of other domesticated animals commonly on a leash. Sides include squash 67 ways, beets, last kick at the can for tomatoes, brussels sprouts with ginger and bacon and of course where I live, all things apple.
    Hockey or football do not play a great part in the festivities. On your holiday, dozing on and off between college games till dinner I find very therapeutic.
    Cheers
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/14 07:01:50 (permalink)
    Pig---spit---brussels sprout with gingerand bacon---all things apple---wht day in October???---what time is dinner---and is there room in your driveway for my camper?
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/20 05:34:52 (permalink)
    I do a rib roast several times a year. I like to get the bone-in ones when available. Costco is a good place to get one this time of year if you belong, or have a neighbor that does.

I agree, for the most part with Seafarer John on prep and cooking except after the 15 mins at 500 I drop down to 325 and cook it a bit slower. I too use an electronic probe thermometer and cook to 140 internally. I like to dust mine with garlic powder.

This last week I cooked a beef tenderloin roast and it was THE BEST roast I've ever had. Pricey though at 10something a lb.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Non Traditional for Thanksgiving 2003/11/21 16:06:00 (permalink)
    Well, it doesn't look like we'll be having prime rib after all. Would you believe that NONE of the grocery stores in my area carry rib roast? Walmart has them, but they are pre-cooked, and I don't think I want that. Looks like we'll end up with a boring old ham. :(
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1