Non-NY Bagels

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/10/15 19:58:16 (permalink)

Non-NY Bagels

Of course traditonal NYC bagels are great (H&H, Ess-a-Bagel, Murray's, etc.) but what about outside the "tri-state area"? Has anyone found good bagels? (NYC style or other). No Lender's.

30 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/15 20:17:53 (permalink)
    Yes, before Pittsburgh succumbed to the bagel chains, there used to be a great little bagel shop in "The Strip District" called Schwartz's. As close to a NY Style bagel as you can get!
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/15 21:17:40 (permalink)
    There's a great bagel shop in Charlottesville VA called Bogey's Bagels. It's run by two guys from Brooklyn and they make water bagels, and whenever I'm out in the area I always stock up.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/15 21:39:23 (permalink)
    Montreal has it's own style of bagel, and they're excellent.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/15 23:38:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

What makes it its own style? What is it like?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18872
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/15 23:51:16 (permalink)
    What's wrong with Lender's? Or were you referring to the frozen version of the great bagels from Lender's on the Boston Post Road in Orange, Connecticut?

On a more serious note, here in Columbus Block's bagels are on a par with the best I've ever eaten in New Haven and New York.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 01:27:14 (permalink)
    In Dallas, we have branches of Einstein's Bagels. Pretty good too. Not NYC, but who is going to duplicate NYC bagels outside of NYC. You might get close but, no cigar!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 08:06:45 (permalink)
    The only outside NYC bagel I've found to be viable is the Georgetown Bagelry in DC on M Street ... They give some NYC places a run for their money.

Woodstar in Northampton, Massachusetts is viable, but not NYC.

I never understood how Lenders got away calling their bread circles bagels at all. Fresh in CT, or frozen.
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 09:02:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

Here in Vermont, we are lucky enough to get Myers Montreal bagels.
    They are hand made bagels boiled in honey water, then baked in a wood oven like you would a pizza. They have the usual toppings, plus a couple unusual ones. Montreal Spice is my favorite. It's a combination of salt,and hot spices ! Some would call it Montreal Steak seasoning.
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 09:10:32 (permalink)
    Rolings Bakery in Elkins Park, PA at 7848 Montgomery Ave. Crisp outside,soft inside and all hand made.

tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 09:44:50 (permalink)
    We have bagels infused with green chiles at our local bagel shop here in southern NM. It's most likely the most unique bagel you'll ever eat, but does not approach an NY bagel in terms of bread character.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 09:48:42 (permalink)
    Sadly, Boston seems to be slipping into the homogenized, American bagel school, with many people favoring the sweet and soft variety, and others the whole wheat crunchy granola types. There still are, however, some good real bagels around. First on the list would be Kupel's Bake & Bagel on Harvard Street in Brookline, in a small cluster of Kosher and other Jewish businesses.

I work about 25 miles West of town in a major technology hub with lots of food businesses. Every Friday we get "the best bagels in town." They are overyeasted and puffy, underdone, chewy and have no crust. You don't have to travel far from major cities to get bad ethnic food.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 10:06:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Sadly, Boston seems to be slipping into the homogenized, American bagel school, with many people favoring the sweet and soft variety, and others the whole wheat crunchy granola types. There still are, however, some good real bagels around. First on the list would be Kupel's Bake & Bagel on Harvard Street in Brookline, in a small cluster of Kosher and other Jewish businesses.

I work about 25 miles West of town in a major technology hub with lots of food businesses. Every Friday we get "the best bagels in town." They are overyeasted and puffy, underdone, chewy and have no crust. You don't have to travel far from major cities to get bad ethnic food.

How is "Finagle a Bagel?"
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18872
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 10:06:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I never understood how Lenders got away calling their bread circles bagels at all. Fresh in CT, or frozen.

Obviously, you never had a real bagel from Lender's. Of course, that was before Sam and Murray Lender went into the frozen bagel business, which they thought might be a nice sideline when they started it in the '60s. In fact, their father, Harry Lender, who began the business sometime in the 1920s certainly wouldn't have eaten a frozen version, either.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 10:29:20 (permalink)
    WJ- IMHO Finagle a Bagle is one of the better chains, but they're still in the "homogenized" school to me. Kind of light and wimpy, not enough flavor to the bagel itself, but with a concentration on offering what seems like a Baskin-Robbins variety of bagel flavors. Better than Dunkin Donuts, maybe better than Einsteins (it's been a while - are they still in business?), but after years in NYC, not a real bagel.
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 10:58:41 (permalink)
    Here in Indianapolis, we have Bagel Fair. There's just the one location in a strip mall; they've been there forever. They only do bagels, only in the traditional flavors and boiled then baked. No chocolate chip, no fancy cream cheeses beyond regular, salmon, and a couple of others. The bagels are fantastic, good and chewy/crispy on the outside, not too huge, with lots of character. A salt bagel with salmon cream cheese is a great lunch.
    sbp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 12:50:30 (permalink)
    Many cities have local bagel places that are decent, if not great. The key is do they boil bagels on premises. The chains -- Einstein, Manhattan Bagels, etc., make white bread with a hole in it. Too soft, no chew, no flavor.
    qwerty79
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 13:41:36 (permalink)
    I miss NY bagels since I moved to florida. Bagel Boss was the best on Long Island. Down here in the Daytona area the only bagels we have are Einstien or a few local bagel stores which are ok but are not NY bagels. I don't mind the frozen bagels you buy in the supermarket. They are not NY bagel-like but make a pretty decent pizza bagel or sandwich. Does anyone know of any good bagel places in florida? I travel pretty much all over florida so distance doesn't matter. Thanks!
    Wandering Chew
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/16 21:22:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

they are a litle smaller and chewier- great yeasty taste and crunch- slightly sweet- the toasted sesame buttered is a real treat and 2 are not tough to eat- if your ever in Montreal they're a MUST
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 11:17:59 (permalink)
    In San Diego county we have Garden State Bagels. Need I say more? Doatsie
    Mel54
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 13:22:25 (permalink)
    New Jersey has good bagels, and in Ridgewood, it's Bagelicious that's the best -- though it could be that much of their appeal is that they are baked constantly through the day and are invariably warm and fresh.

If I could make a request, though, it would be that more bagel shops made more "mini-bagels" (actually what bagels used to be like). Unless you're splitting bagels with a crowd, one of those tire-sized standard bagels gets stale before it can be finished ...
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 13:54:21 (permalink)
    I'm a New Yorker and near to the best bagels in the world, like Essa in NYC and Bagel Boss on Long Island. I had a party and had Bagel Boss cater the whole thing, it was wonderful. I'll buy bagels, cut them in half and freeze them, especially the ones with everything on it, wrap it in freezer wrap, then put it in a freezer bag. For Valentines day I'll get red ones or St. Patricks I'll get green ones. Once in a while I'll get a hefty New York bagel for breakfast or lunch but most of the time, for home, we have a bag of Thomas's mini bagels in the fridge. They have a strawberry bagel that is delicious, toasted with additional strawberry jam its heaven!!!!
    markintoga
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 15:39:15 (permalink)
    Montreal bagels are every bit as excellent as NY bagels are in their own way. They are as described above.
    They are also for the most part baked in wood fired ovens after being boiled. Check out the websites for ST. Viateur Bagels or for Fairmont Bagels, (they will come up first on google if searched by the underlined name.) And if you make it to Montreal you should try one or the other.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 16:04:47 (permalink)
    quote:

The only outside NYC bagel I've found to be viable is the Georgetown Bagelry in DC on M Street ... They give some NYC places a run for their money.

unfortunately, the Georgetown Bagelry is closing in January. It's being converted into a casual seafood joint, which will open in March.

bakman_01570
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 16:52:48 (permalink)
    what about bruegger's bagel bakery? I used to love getting their garlic bagels with honey walnut cream cheese...
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 16:59:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bakman_01570

what about bruegger's bagel bakery? I used to love getting their garlic bagels with honey walnut cream cheese...

Sorry, Brueggers are pretty bad. Tastes like wonderbread with holes
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/17 19:02:02 (permalink)
    And don't forget, even us New Yorkers can get non-NY bagels in NY. Not sure why we'd want to.
    But yes we have generics here. Lots of them. Too fat a bagel is a sign (like someone said, white bred with a hole in the middle!)....
    beantowngoat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/22 07:50:49 (permalink)
    I have had GREAT NYC style bagels in three cities across the USA:
    Boston (someone tell me they have visited Kupels in Brookline!), Chicago (can't remember the name of the place, but they were fine) and San Francisco (Berkley, specifically). Maybe these are transplanted NYC residents?

I will tell you that I now live in LONDON in the UK and believe me when I tell you that there are NO NYC bagels to be had over here. It is the holy grail, and no one has come close yet. I have friends here from NY but they have been here TOO long as they can no longer tell a good bagel from a bad one. Only a few weeks ago I was given a bag of what they felt came "close". HAH!!! I tell you now, that if someone from NY were to open a REAL bagel bakery here, they would clean up. Londoners love what they think are bagels - but they would drop dead from happiness if they tasted a real NY bagel. Not to mention the NY spreads - which they also don't know how to make here, although good cream cheese is available....SIGH....I go on dreaming....
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/22 08:49:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

unfortunately, the Georgetown Bagelry is closing in January. It's being converted into a casual seafood joint, which will open in March.

Very sad news.

cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Non-NY Bagels 2007/10/22 12:57:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by bakman_01570

Sorry, Brueggers are pretty bad. Tastes like wonderbread with holes

AGREED! Brueggers are SO bad I would rather go hungry. Seriously.

And in response to question about Finagle, I am not fond of them but correctly per Asphalt they are better than Dunkin's.

In Arlington MA is a place called Bagels by Us, on Mass Ave at Mill Street. FANTASTIC bagels. Though I think they are H&H flown in. Still, great stuff. Only other plave beside Kugels that I will buy is from the sandwich place outside Harvard Sq called Darwin's. At least when I was a regular they had great bagels. The owner, Steve, said he didn't know the origin, they came from a supplier with other bread stuff. But he was obviously happy with them.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1