The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Nook Burgers

ChubbyBurger

• Total Posts: 19
Nook Burgers Wed, 03/26/08 8:34 PM (permalink)
I saw the Diners Drive-ins episode with The Nook and their stuffed burgers and I just tried them at home. They turned out great except for the cheese cooling too quickly. I used real cheddar and when you first bite in the cheese is nice and hot and oozing but it cools and rehardens real quick. On the show it looked like their cheese was a little creamier and stayed that way for a while. I tried Velvetta but that ended up like soup!

Can anyone suggest what to do to get the cheese to remain nice and gooey but not turn into soup? I appreciate your time in advance.

Thanks,
Will

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
    RE: Nook Burgers Wed, 03/26/08 11:28 PM (permalink)
    Davydd recommended The Nook to us on our last trip to Minneapolis and it was great. We had previously been to Matt's Bar and enjoyed the Jucy Lucy burger there. Davydd said The Nook's version, called The Nookie, was superior in every way. Better meat, bigger burger, cheesier, better ambience too. There's one more Jucy Lucy place in the Twin Cities that we need to try, I think it's called the 824 Club or something like that. Davydd, confirmation please?

Buddy

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
      RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 12:45 AM (permalink)
      5-8 club.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
        RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 9:43 AM (permalink)
        saps is right. It is the 5-8 Club on Cedar Avenue just north of the Crosstown Highway 62 interchange not too far from the Airport. The 5-8 Club has been around since the late 20's when it was once a speak easy. It is a nice neighborhood kind of place that is bigger than the Nook and Matt's Bar. I haven't seen their version of the Jucy Lucy to compare. Matt's gets the bulk of the publicity about them because they started them in the Twin Cities back in the 50s and people do appreciate nostalgia and the original. All three places have merits.

Real cheddar can be a bit too hard for melting. I'm thinking real cheddar that is a drier more crumbly cheese. I doubt anyone uses Velveeta. I'd try an American cheese slice which is about in between.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
          RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 10:01 AM (permalink)
          I make these at home also with the addition of mushrooms! How thick are your cheese slices, burger patties? I haven't had any problems, so far anyway. I'm assuming you use two patties?

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
            RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 10:03 AM (permalink)
            I saw the show, too, and the burger looked good enough that it's on my "must-make" list. But am I the only one who noticed that the burger's nick-name (or should it be "nook-name"?) is a term that isn't used in "proper society," at least in my part of the country?

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 1:44 PM (permalink)
              I think that's the point, Rick. The waitresses even wear T-shirts that say, "Have You had Your Nookie Today?" If you ain't got a sense of humor, don't bother with The Nook.

This sort of double entendre in the restaurant biz is not without precedent. The busboys at Stroud's in Kansas City all wear T-shirts that say, "We Choke Our Own Chickens". They are for sale to the public and quite popular.

Buddy

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 1:47 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Rick F.

I saw the show, too, and the burger looked good enough that it's on my "must-make" list. But am I the only one who noticed that the burger's nick-name (or should it be "nook-name"?) is a term that isn't used in "proper society," at least in my part of the country?

If it was deemed acceptable to the Newlywed Game way back, I think polite society can handle it.

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 1:48 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

...There's one more Jucy Lucy place in the Twin Cities that we need to try, I think it's called the 824 Club or something like that. Davydd, confirmation please?

Buddy
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by saps
                  5-8 club.
                  That's it. I knew there was an "8" in there somewhere.

Thank you,

Buddy

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                    RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 2:25 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by divefl
                    If it was deemed acceptable to the Newlywed Game way back, I think polite society can handle it.
                    I said polite society, not my society!

scarletfire

• Total Posts: 20
                      RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 2:41 PM (permalink)
                      I just went to The Nook a few weeks ago, prompted by the Diners, Drive-In's and Dive's show... It's actually called Caspers & Runyons Nook. It sure looked a lot bigger on TV!! It was PACKED on the Friday night we went but well worth the wait! I'm from Minneapolis and I wish I would have known about it earlier! I believe they use a thick sliced American Cheese. The fries are seriously the best I've had around here in years. Fresh cut and skin on. YUM!!!!

I haven't been to Matt's or the 5-8 Club myself, but my companion has been to Matt's and says The Nook is better.....

MSPD

• Total Posts: 79
                        RE: Nook Burgers Thu, 03/27/08 6:41 PM (permalink)
                        Love the Nook. Will never understand the Jucy Lucy mystique. But to each their own...so...for the enthusiast:

The standard Jucy Lucys are all made the same way -- one slice of American cheese, fold in half and fold in half again. Press between two patties and pinch the perimeter. If I remember right, they even showed it on the show. Easy to do at home -- must be griddled.

Beyond that, you get variations in the cheese (pepperjack is a popular one) but it's still from a slice and has the same dimension as the American folded into quarters and stacked.

Scarletfire (and anyone else that's interested in the Nook experience but hate crowds), there's a second location of the Nook called Shamrock's on West 7th Street. It's much bigger so you don't have to deal with the cramped conditions of the Nook. Same burgers.

Finally, there are a few other places around MSP that have Jucy Lucys that are better than Matt's Bar and the 5-8 Club in my opinion. First on that list is the Groveland Tap on St. Clair (at Fairview) in the Mac Groveland neighborhood. The bar at Minnehaha Lanes (Minnehaha Ave towards downtown St. Paul) used to be almost up to the Nook standards, but I haven't been there in years to re-verify.

mncorn

• Total Posts: 151
                          RE: Nook Burgers Sat, 10/18/08 2:32 AM (permalink)
                          Yes, The Nook. As a MN person, Nook.

ShenB

• Total Posts: 129
                            RE: Nook Burgers Sun, 10/26/08 9:07 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by ChubbyBurger

I saw the Diners Drive-ins episode with The Nook and their stuffed burgers and I just tried them at home. They turned out great except for the cheese cooling too quickly. I used real cheddar and when you first bite in the cheese is nice and hot and oozing but it cools and rehardens real quick. On the show it looked like their cheese was a little creamier and stayed that way for a while. I tried Velvetta but that ended up like soup!

Can anyone suggest what to do to get the cheese to remain nice and gooey but not turn into soup? I appreciate your time in advance.

Thanks,
                            Will

C.B.,
                            I have a suggestion for you.
                            Try using a slice of Kraft's "Deli-Deluxe Sharp Cheddar"

Unlike regular cheese this is a processed cheese that has the flavor of a tangy cheddar but the melting properties of traditional american cheese.

This is what the package looks like
                            http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Products/ProductInfoDisplay.aspx?SiteId=1&Product=2100060256

Good Luck

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com