Normal Breakfast

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 09:51:54 (permalink)
at home, usually a taylor pork roll(or sausage or bacon) and egg on a well toasted THOMAS' english muffin(no subs)....if on the road, I'll grab a 'Tampa bagel',which are heavenly(North Dale Mabry hwy,next to Subworld) and some tea.....if I have time to eat out, go to Subworld and feast on
soft scrambled
sausage
homefries
burnt rye toast(really!)........life is good
dixiebrave
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 11:58:58 (permalink)
weekdays--cereal with bananas or a smoothie made with fruit and flaxseed oil, coffee!

weekends--Saturdays we do the from scratch buttermilk pancakes, with maple or cane syrup, bacon or sausage
Sundays--grits, scrambled eggs, sometimes muffins or biscuits--IF, and this is a big if, we have time for all of this before church. Otherwise we gobble down some cereal before we dash.
Almost always have cream of wheat and cinnamon toast for Sunday night supper. This goes way back to my childhood, and my kids have carried on the tradition!
forurlungsonly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 12:11:50 (permalink)
Most mornings I eat a bowl of rice krispies with banana and skim milk and big glass of water, or occasionally orange juice, though I find it not too agreeable early in the morning. My alternate when I don't feel like cereal is a piece of wheat or oat-nut toast with nice chunky jam or preserves and a cup of English Breakfast tea. When I'm pressed for time I'll eat a granola bar and some yogurt. On Sunday mornings I'll make French toast or omelettes or maybe scrambled eggs full of onions and peppers and tomatoes and cheese and bacon or sausage. I like coffee, but generally not in the morning.

I'll eat just about anything, really for breakfast, especially when I was younger and didn't care for traditional breakfast foods; these days I stick mostly to the standards.

My boyfriend doesn't work Sundays so that's generally when I make a big breakfast. I've been thinking about making crepes one morning. Anyone have any good crepe ideas, as a sidenote?
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 15:35:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

What the heck is steel-cut oats or steel-cut oatmeal? You have to use some steel utensil to cut through them?

Nope. They've already done that for you...

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=279
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 17:03:24 (permalink)
Lleechef-----steel cut---in peices--as compared to "rolled oats"---which are flattend and cook faster. Irish Oatmeal is steel cut--Quacker oats are rolled.---btw steel cuts oats do NOT work well for cookies!--trust me on this
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 17:31:42 (permalink)
One of the following:

Eggs (various styles, sometimes with yolks, sometimes not), and fruit, cottege cheese

Oatmeal

Some combo of chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad and/or cottege cheese

All of the above always includes a glass or two of water.

I don't drink coffee or tea.

On the weekends, option one sometimes includes cheese, bacon, etc.

One thing that recent research has made fairly clear is that eggs are not the cholesterol culprit we once thought they were. My cholesterol count has fallen significantly, even while I've increased the amount of eggs I eat.
talespinner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 18:19:10 (permalink)
At least five days a week, two eggs, sunnyside up, bacon, sausage or ham (sometimes I get the urge for fried Spam too), toast... Sundays are reserved for ham and cheese or mushroom and cheese omelets.. the other day is usually muffins or pancakes, or if I happen to have all the ingredients on hand eggs benedict... the sports and business sections of the newspaper are an everyday sidedish.... people constantly ask me if I don't worry about my cholesterol and how I can stand to eat the same thing every day.... the answers are no, not much.... and I never get tired of bacon or sausage and eggs... breakfast is still my favorite meal of the day...
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 18:41:17 (permalink)
Lately with me doing my what seems to be 24 hour days, I have a small square Tonys pizza that ya nuke for 60 seconds and a 20oz. cup of black coffee... I'm thankfull for Gas Stations and their nuclear food!
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 20:55:39 (permalink)
Two cups of black coffee. That's a given, no matter what day. If it's a day I'm running it's a Slim Fast Honey Peanut Breakfast Bar with my coffee. If I'm not running, toasted English muffin with butter and strawberry jam.

On weekends we'll usually have fried eggs and pork roll (I like mine on a toasted english muffin with American cheese) or scrambled eggs and some sausage. Sumpin like dat.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 862
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/04/30 22:25:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Lleechef-----steel cut---in peices--as compared to "rolled oats"---which are flattend and cook faster. Irish Oatmeal is steel cut--Quacker oats are rolled.---btw steel cuts oats do NOT work well for cookies!--trust me on this

My teeth are smarting at the thought.
I made some cookies with some Old Wessex brand 'extra thick' rolled oats that might be good for deer or something. For breakfast I like both Quaker Old Fashioned rolled oats and McCann's steel cut - real apples and oranges thing there.

Alton Brown broke them down pretty well on his show, going all the way down to microwave oatmeal, which is rolled and cooked - which he said he wouldn't feed to a horse. He also ran a broadly staged haggis recipe that'll keep me off the stuff regardless of my Scotch-Irish roots.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/02 08:15:57 (permalink)
what happened to pop tarts?? come on -- i know you people eat them....
during the week it's usually rushed so it's poptarts or a quick bowl of cereal or some peanut butter toast ( or a bagel).. weekends different story-- usually eggs ( either sandwiches or breakfast boritos) or krispy kremes ( or donuts from local grocery store- depending on how early it is when i hit the car to go get them...) and sundays -- sometimes a breakfast buffet...
tarragon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/02 11:23:37 (permalink)
Weekdays: 2 cups of coffee (one at home, one at work); with the coffee at home I have either half a muffin (regular or english) or one slice of cinnamon-raisin toast. At work, I have the other cup of coffee, juice and (usually) cereal--either cold (have lately been on a strawberry & banana cheerios kick) or hot oatmeal (baked apple flavor, yum!). I've at least gotten to the point of using skim milk (GASP!) on my cold cereal, but sometimes I'll eat it with plain yogurt or even just plain by itself. Yogurt works best with a granola-type cereal, but I've used it on just about all of them.

Weekends: This is usually when I have my eggs--I like them almost any way, but will usually fix a small omelet (1-2 eggs) with feta cheese, spinach & onions or sometimes swiss w/onions, but normally cheddar or jack (including pepper jack); I've been trying turkey sausage, and sometimes I'll do home-made homefries w/red potatoes (they cook up fairly well, I've found). Every once in a while, I'll make some fried apples or pancakes. I'd love to find an old waffle iron--I have a belgian one, which I used occasionally, but like the Sterns, I prefer the older smaller grid waffles.
daveritzdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/07 21:37:14 (permalink)
A bagel with cream cheese bought from a cart on a street corner here in New York City - a fast and cheap breakfast that I can eat while walking to the subway!
dckdckgse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/09 17:36:55 (permalink)
my ixea of a good breakfast is a thick chunk of good bread with butter and honey, some salty cheese, and fruit. and good coffee.
Alexander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/10 07:29:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerseygirl127

what happened to pop tarts?? come on -- i know you people eat them....

I reserve pop tarts for long distance bicycle riding. They've got about the same carb makup (carbs are vital to bike riding) as Powerbars or the other high-carb energy bars (except for the vitamins) at a far cheaper price.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/10 08:22:45 (permalink)
When I was a student in France, I began every day with a bowl of hot chocolate, and fresh bread with FRESH butter and jam. That was amazingly good.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/10 08:36:00 (permalink)
A whole grain cereal, such as Wheaties, Cheerios or Shredded Wheat, 1% milk, and whatever fruit is available (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, etc.).
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/10 18:04:38 (permalink)
McCann's also makes a "quick cooking" Irish oatmeal that's obviously rolled. It takes 5 minutes to cook, and is improved by putting the oats and the SALT (that the box instructions omit) in cold water and leaving to soak while you shower. It has a nutty flavor I prefer to Quaker, and at Trader Joe's, at least, it's reasonably priced.

My favorite breakfast is blueberry buttermilk pancakes. The recipe in The Joy of Cooking is nearly perfect, but I add about 1/3 cup more buttermilk. Wyman's frozen wild blueberries are the most consistent in that they thaw readily and don't lose much juice or smash easily in the batter. Add them to the dry ingredients and toss them in the flour before folding that into the liquid ingredients below.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/10 21:13:46 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Today I had Carl make me a meatloaf omelette at The Normaltown Cafe'. It was scrumptuous! - Does that count as a Normal breakfast?
Wonderingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/11 14:19:50 (permalink)
Whole-grain cereal without milk, along with prunes or a banana and a glass of grapefruit juice.

For lunch it's usually a smoothie and some pretzels.

I try to eat healthy at breakfast and lunch so I can eat extra at dinner.
nanster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/20 22:23:55 (permalink)
Some form of caffeine:

Black coffee
Cafe au lait (or with soymilk)
Latte
Green tea
Irish breakfast tea with milk and honey

...usually with last night's leftovers, eggs, or a cookie.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/20 22:38:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Today I had Carl make me a meatloaf omelette at The Normaltown Cafe'. It was scrumptuous! - Does that count as a Normal breakfast?
Wonderingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

Meatloaf Omelet sounds good! Sort of reminds me of using some leftover Prime Rib and creating an omelet out of that (Sauteed some green peppers and onions, tossed in the Prime to heat it up, poured it over my egg mix, put a pinch of Sharp Cheddar then topped it off with some Franks Red Hot when it was served!).... Hmmmm... Getting hungry again...
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/20 23:32:54 (permalink)
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I can't start my day without a coke. Usually I'll have a bowl of cereal with blueberrys to go along with it! Sometimes I will just pop a Stouffer's mac n cheese in the microwave too! I loove that mac n cheese!
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/21 00:14:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zussers

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I can't start my day without a coke. Usually I'll have a bowl of cereal with blueberrys to go along with it! Sometimes I will just pop a Stouffer's mac n cheese in the microwave too! I loove that mac n cheese!

Is that Nuclear Mac and Chez worthy?? Been afraid to try it... But I do like it especially when a tight budget sets in!
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/21 18:06:47 (permalink)
Stouffer's frozen Mac & Ch is way too cheddar-centric for my tastes, but my partner loves it. I bought some Annie's "Easy" Mac & Ch for him while I was out of town, and tried it last night. No go. However, Mac & Ch seems like it should be good breakfast fare. Dairy, protein, easily digestible, and not too fatty. The only problem is those boxes of Kraft Mac & Ch are firmly ingrained in my memory as late night snacks. My parents thought it was cheaper and healthier, and we thought it was yummier. You can't keep either of us brothers out of the kitchen now, so, mothers, send your sons into the kitchen young and they'll make better husbands.

Cold cereal? Yogurt. Doesn't make it soggy as quickly as milk. Much of it has fruit in it. I bet you'll like it--and so will your body.
jlobough
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/21 19:21:04 (permalink)
Diet Pepsi is my usual breakfast. I did actually eat breakfast every day on my recent road trip (Chicago to Tulsa and back to Chicago), and now that I've gone back to my normal Diet Pepsi breakfast routine, it doesn't feel right anymore.
zussers
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/21 23:56:18 (permalink)
I know this is wierd, but I'll have the mac n cheese for breakfast and have a yogurt and a chocolate chip cookie slimfast bar for lunch. It's easy to take with me to work as I like to eat outside in the park for my lunch! It's pretty backwards!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18382
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/22 11:38:45 (permalink)
I just got back from a Waffle House, where I had three eggs scrambled with cheese, wheat toast, grits and coffee.
clemspal
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/26 19:49:39 (permalink)
some fresh eggs , scrambled please
sausage from the abbatoir just outside of vidalia,ga.
maybe some thick sliced bacon from the smokehouse in bishop,ca
a slice or two of gwaltney's country ham
stoneground grits from one of the small producers out there , not too thick
my mother's biscuits .............
red-eye gravy for the grits
cane syrup & butter for the biscuits
better have som eof my aunt blanche's blackberry jelly , too
half a grapefruit from my cousin max's tree ; ok, texas ruby red will do in a pinch
a bottomless glass of fresh squeezed oj ; valencias from florida , please
peet's coffee , black
a copy of the morning paper
npr on in the kitchen

that would work

Emerald
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Normal Breakfast 2004/05/30 16:25:06 (permalink)
At my age I read health tips......I never liked any kind of soda, coke or such......but I read that Diet Coke contains aspartame, what is called an "excitotoxin" (sp?) which isn't good for anyone at all! But then why do we eat doughnuts and pie and candy and brownies? Because they're good for you????! My breakfast is sometimes steel-cut oatmeal with soy milk and frozen blueberries & a few walnuts......or, yesterday morning I sauteed onion, carrot & celery in grapeseed oil, then added a nice chunk of halibut, salt & pepper. Yummm...wish we could have that once a week.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1