Norske Nook (?)

Author
Vital Information
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
2006/08/23 00:06:34 (permalink)

Norske Nook (?)

After lots of longing, I finally made it to one of the holy grails of Roadfood...the Norske Nook. Now, was I on to something when I noted it was not on this board or in the latest version of the book?

I have to say, it was not the holy grail; rather I was wholly dissapointed. For one thing, all the cream is creme, that is cream topping, that is cool whip. In the Dairy State, that really bummed me out, not what I expected at all. I thought maybe this was a new thing, but they told me it's always been cool whip. C'mon. Now, for another thing, the crusts were quite lame, dry and greasy and, well as cheap as the cool whip. Finally, when I asked if any of the fruit was local, well no one could ask, and that about explains it all.

Am I alone here or did I miss something*

*I would note that the seasonal special, the blackberry crunch was far superior to anything else (sour cream raspberry, chocolate mousse, and lemon meringue being the other three tried).

9 Replies Related Threads

saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2006/08/23 00:47:27 (permalink)
    I used to make the jaunt to Norske Nook fairly often, as I went to school, have friends, and dated (and married) a girl from the Twin Cities. It was last good, IMO, about 10 years ago. As word spread, they seemed to "phone it in".
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2006/08/23 03:08:34 (permalink)
    Helen Myhre, the woman whose cooking made the Norske Nook great, sold the business several years ago.
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2006/08/23 08:40:25 (permalink)
    Helen Myrhe's Norske Nook cookbook was the first cookbook I purchased after I found out about the Sterns and the whole Roadfood phenomenon. Many times I have been disappointed in recipes from restaurants. Something always seemed to be missing in the recipe. However, every single recipe in her book has produced glorious meals. That led me to the rest of the Stern books and I am happier for it.

I consulted Helen's cookbook extensively for inspiration when I decided to start my own restaurant. Her recipe for sour cream pie became our first pie we attempted outside our normal family recipes. My mother (my baker) tweaked it to make it our own (Mom makes her meringue differently) and this wonderful pie has become famous in these parts.
    Vital Information
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2006/08/23 09:13:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

Helen Myhre, the woman whose cooking made the Norske Nook great, sold the business several years ago.

But is that the only reason you stopped including it?
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2006/08/23 10:04:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vital Information

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

But is that the only reason you stopped including it?

We would be leery of listing a restaurant that we know has changed ownership since our last visit, especially one so dependent on a single hands-on cook. We did pay a visit to one of the new Norske Nooks and weren't impressed.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2006/08/23 10:52:59 (permalink)
    That's just the problem when people sell restaraunts.The new owners often keep the same name,relying on that name to bring in the crowds,but cheapen the food and such which is a shame.
    stormycat9 aka stormycat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2007/07/12 07:51:14 (permalink)
    I am so glad somebody posted this. Best pies in America? A few weeks ago, after many years of wanting to try it, we hit the Norske Nooks in Osseo and Hayward. What a disappointment in Osseo. The service was worse than terrible and pie would have been just okay despite the whipped topping. I feel bad that the Helen Myhre is even associated with this place.

I would like to say that we had a completely different experience at the Hayward location. The Norweigian meatballs were very good, and the sour cream raisin and raspberry cream cheese pies were excellent. The sour cream raisin pie normally has a meringue topping, so I would not expect to find it on this one, but there was no whipped topping on our the raspberry cream cheese either.
    aspirationsdream
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2007/08/07 11:48:57 (permalink)
    I went to Norske Nook a few years ago(didn't know it was famous for its food at the time, just wanted to stop somewhere for Scandinavian trinkets with my Dad(who is Norwegian) while traveling. I remember getting pie, and that it was wonderful. It was peach or cherry pie I think. I'm thinking it was probably still under the old ownership at the time.
    Pieeater
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Norske Nook (?) 2008/11/12 09:39:18 (permalink)
    Unbelieveable restaurantVery Nordic,  had the lefse wraps and was impressed with the large portions. My partner had the omelet wrap , which was made with lefse and covered with hollendaise sauce. Wraped in the lefse was eggs hashbrowns and sausage and cheese. Mine was the fish wrap with two baked fish filets and potatoes wraped in lefse.  the real reason for the stop though was the road food recommendation and it was right on.  The Pie was to die for. I had the pecan cream cheese on the reccomendation of the server who said that it had won a blue ribbon at the Great American pie Festival.  It was 6 inches high and  consisted of carmelized pecans covering a thick layer of cream cheese in a light buttery hand rolled crust YUM! I talked to the owner who said that he has owned the Norske Nook for 18 years now taking over from Helen Myher back in 1990. He said the Sterns have been in several times in the 90s and have enjoyed it.
    As far as the comment on the cream I contacted Helen Myher, who still lives only blocks away from the original cafe, and she said that she even always used COolwhip as it was the only thing that would hold up clear back in the 80s when she owned it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1