The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Sun, 08/29/10 4:38 AM (permalink)
While doing some BBQ research, I stumbled on this web site and the NC BBQ Historical Trail. If you're in the area, you might want to check it out.
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

jackd418

• Total Posts: 49
    Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Sun, 08/29/10 5:04 AM (permalink)
    Nothing from Raleigh/Durham listed.Backyard Barbecue Pit on hwy 55 should be,also Mama Dips in Chapel Hill

ayersian

Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Sun, 08/29/10 8:41 AM (permalink)
      Foodbme, Amy & I have almost finished the Trail (7 of the 25-26 left to go) and will be posting our findings in late fall.  We spent a day with Jim Early, author and president of the NCBBQ Society, and we'll also have a profile on him.  He singlehandedly reviewed 220 BBQ joints across the state in preparing his book, The Best Tar Heel Barbecue: From Manteo to Murphy.  I want to be him when I grow up!    Chris

Foodbme

Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Sun, 08/29/10 2:11 PM (permalink)
        jackd418

Nothing from Raleigh/Durham listed.Backyard Barbecue Pit on hwy 55 should be,also Mama Dips in Chapel Hill

There is specific criteria and approval is needed from the Board of Directors of the NCBBQS to be included on the Trail. Read this and if your places meet the criteria they should apply to the NCBBQS to be put on the list.
        http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail.html

This ain't no jack-leg group. These boys are serious about their Que.!

<message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 08/29/10 2:19 PM>

Foodbme

Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Sun, 08/29/10 2:18 PM (permalink)
          ayersian

Foodbme, Amy & I have almost finished the Trail (7 of the 25-26 left to go) and will be posting our findings in late fall.  We spent a day with Jim Early, author and president of the NCBBQ Society, and we'll also have a profile on him.  He singlehandedly reviewed 220 BBQ joints across the state in preparing his book, The Best Tar Heel Barbecue: From Manteo to Murphy.  I want to be him when I grow up!    Chris

220 BBQ Joints! That's alota Que! Don't think any other state can claim that many except maybe Texas. They claim to be the biggest everything!
          Jim Early must travel with his own personal Cardiologist!

Pocosin

• Total Posts: 19
            Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Mon, 08/30/10 11:05 AM (permalink)
            Foodbme

This ain't no jack-leg group.

Yeah.  The criteria they use for inclusion are pretty solid.  I've eaten at all of the eastern style places on the list except for Stephenson's, and they are all excellent.  I can only think of one barbecue place in eastern NC- Blackbeard's in Conetoe- that ought to be on the list and isn't- excluded in this case because it hasn't been in business for 15 years.

Foodbme

Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Mon, 08/30/10 2:11 PM (permalink)
              OK all you Que Fans! Here's the long awaited web site for the Re:1st Annual Parkwood Volunteer Fire Department BBQ Cook-Off!
               The Parkwood Volunteer Fire Department is having their
              1st Annual Pork Barbeque Cookoff Competition on Friday, October 8th 2010 through Saturday, October 9th 2010. Set up will start from 2pm Friday, meat distributed at 8pm Friday, competition judging begins 11am Saturday, and awards will be presented at 12noon Saturday. The Fire Department will supply all meat: 5-6 Pork Shoulders to each team. Each team must supply their own cookers, and will be designated equal space to cook at next to the station. All cooked meat outside of those used for judging will be sold by the Parkwood Volunteer Fire Department as part of their 31st Annual Pork Barbeque. Commerative T-Shirts will be given to all participants (up to 3 per team). Trophies will be awarded to all winning teams. The station is located at 1409 Seaton Road, near the intersection of Revere and Seaton Roads in the Parkwood Community South of Highway 54 in Durham County.

www.pvfd.com

So, all you Que Cooks within a 2000 mile radius of Durham County NC get your team put together and enter the competition. THEY'RE SUPPLYING THE MEAT! All you need to do is sign up & show up! If you don't want to cook, SHOW UP ANYWAY and enjoy some good NC Cue! Support the scholarship fund for the families of their fallen firefighters. No excuses, be there!

1st Annual Parkwood Volunteer Fire Department Barbeque Cookoff

Where: 1409 Seaton Road

Durham NC,27713

What: Pork Shoulders (5-6)

When: Saturday, October 9th 2010

Entrance Fee is only $40

The event will take place rain or shine (no rain date).

Official Application : www.pvfd.com

A full set of rules will be supplied upon receipt of entrance fee. For more information, please contact Stephen Russell @ 910.528.5569.

pwdff142

• Total Posts: 19
                Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Wed, 09/1/10 9:15 PM (permalink)
                I know that it has been awhile since it was originally posted, but dont forget about Hog Heaven in N. Durham      ( one in Durham and one in Roxboro), and Bullocks BBQ Downtown Durham. I have been to Hog Heavan, it good, but I havent been to Bullocks.

Rocky Enfield

• Total Posts: 69
                  Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Tue, 10/19/10 6:18 PM (permalink)
                  It may be a little far for you to go for lunch but near my town (Elkhart, In)I can go to a local mexican restaurant call Carneciera San Jose and get 3 authentic tacos for $1 each w/complimentary chips and salsa and a glass of ice water I am full and out of there for $4.25 including tax & tip.  They make fantastic grilled fish tacos, beef, pork and some of the more exotic stuff I am not interested in.  I would bet if you look you can find a similar place in your area.  The $1 tacos is only on Tuesday, the rest of the week the go up to a shocking  $1.79 each.

Rocky Enfield

• Total Posts: 69
                    Re:North Carolina BBQ Society Historical BBQ Trail Tue, 10/19/10 6:20 PM (permalink)
                    Sorry somehow got on the wrong forum.  This post was supposed to be for the under $5 lunch forum not the BBQ forum, oops!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com