North Carolina's What-a-Burger - the closed locations

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
2014/03/27 10:14:01 (permalink)

North Carolina's What-a-Burger - the closed locations

Remember those logic puzzles from middle school?  I have a humdinger.  I am trying to find where seven closed What-a-Burger locations in the area around Charlotte once were.  I've spent hours online and know about the open locations (I visited # 11 in Mooresville this month and it was awesome!) and a couple of the closed ones.  Do we have any Tarheels online who were around in the 1960s and can fill in the last of these blanks?  (Each of the What-a-Burger stores were / are prominently numbered, not like tracking down some lost notations on a city register office.)

I'm looking for the locations of the following numbered stores:
# 3-6, 8, 12, 14

I know that there were stores in these communities, but I don't know which of the seven numbers go along with them:
Belmont NC
China Grove NC
multiple locations in Charlotte, including Independence Drive

I've got Concord, Mt. Pleasant, Kannapolis, Abermarle, and Mooresville sorted and matched.  These are the holes in my logic puzzle.  Can anybody help?

3 Replies Related Threads

Roadside Quest
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:North Carolina's What-a-Burger - the closed locations 2014/03/28 15:48:00 (permalink)
    Have some information from my research. Never found any Charlotte information.It appears that What-A-Burgers were licenced to local diners etc starting around 1956.The chain numbers started about 1961.
    1 Kannapolis 1510 N Cannon
    2 Concord  downtown was the Red Pig BBQ 34 Church st
    3 belmont 220 E Wilkinson Blvd
    4 gastonia E Franklin st
    5 Kannapolis  1212 S Cannon Blvd
    6 Bellmont
    7 Concord
    8 Concord Hwy 29 N near hospital, was formerly the Diner,moved to former longhorn hamburgers  opposite the Carolina memorial park
    9 Albarmarle  E Main st
    10 Kannapolis 1964 S Main St
    11 Mooresville S Main st 1965
    13 Mt Plesant 8330 Frankiln St
    15 Between Kannapolis and concord Old Charlotte Hwy
    There was a location in Salisbury W Innis
    Have more information in my data base
    Some numbers were moved or recycled
    Robby
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:North Carolina's What-a-Burger - the closed locations 2014/03/31 14:14:50 (permalink)
    Holy anna!  RQ, do you have every city directory in the country at your fingertips or something?   Wow, thanks!
    Roadside Quest
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:North Carolina's What-a-Burger - the closed locations 2014/03/31 15:20:41 (permalink)
    Have been researching these things for years.I can email newspaper articles or other information if you need it.I have mostly looked for information on burger chains, mostly southern such as Biff Burger, Kenneys,Bells etc.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1