The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

North-Central Kentucky

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
North-Central Kentucky Thu, 03/20/03 7:28 PM (permalink)
I'm heading south (Northern Kentucky) for Easter
I've noted the selection in Shelbyville, and Lynn's Paradise
in Louisville. What other selections are recommended for
Louisville, Frankfort, Lexington areas ?

Michael Stern

RE: North-Central Kentucky Thu, 03/20/03 7:52 PM (permalink)
    In Louisville, you ought to go to[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=22']Kaelin's[/url], at least as much for the fried chicken as the famous cheeseburger. In Lexingon, Loudon Square Buffet is a southern classic; and in Frankfort, there's a diner -- maybe called the Frankfort Diner -- that used to be wonderful (when we were there about 10 years ago). Don't know if it's still there, or still good, but I recollect that it's on a main road through town and easy to stumble across.

Let us know what you find...

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: North-Central Kentucky Thu, 03/20/03 9:18 PM (permalink)
      OH Boy, You asked for it !!! Here are a few to warm up your appetite.
      In Frankfort, The Capital BBQ on Rt 127s is just fine. call for hours, If I remember right they have an unusual time schedule?? But worth a stop.
      On the east side of Louisville (near I-71 and I-265-the Gene Snyder Freeway ) isJucy's Smokehouse BBQ (7626 Hiway 146, Peewee Valley) Use the rt 146 ramp off the freeway and turn left (east) on 146. It is short distance on the right. Very good ribs and pork, in a "primitive atmosphere"..not expensive.
      For a far above average roadfood diner go to GENNY'S at 2223 Frankfort Ave in Louisville. Nothing special to look at, but serves great omlets, a Monster Burger, Fried Pickles, and a bunch of other roadfood specialties. Not expensive, Again worth a several mile side trip.
      I can add a couple more if you you give me some preferences.

pigface

RE: North-Central Kentucky Thu, 03/20/03 10:57 PM (permalink)
        I Knew what I was doing when I asked that question ...
        I was thinking Claudia Saunder's for Easter, But I'd like to Poke around Louisville
        and swing east before the Derby heats up. Couple days here, couple days there ...
        So I'll listen to all suggestions ... Tennative aggenda ... Carollton, Shelbyville,
        Bardstown, Frankfort, and maybe end up in Berea then back home & go back to work

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: North-Central Kentucky Fri, 03/21/03 6:13 AM (permalink)
          Piggy, M'Boy, Let the Ole' Mayor work his magic y'hear!
          First of all, be sure to make reservations for the Dinner House for Easter Sunday.It does get busy after church there. But if a good buffet is your desire, then it is as good as any in the area. You can order off the menu also.
          In Berea,KY the Daniel Boone Tavern continues to be a high spot in the hills south of Lexington. Read Stern's review in most of their books. Things remain as they describe them.
          In LaGrange KY, just a short distance off of I-71, There is a BBQ place on the main street of town, amidst all the antique stores in the 'Historic' district. Sorry I can't recall the name, but it is a storefront, and serves some excellent ribs and sandwiches. I like LaGrange because the railroad runs right down the Main Street, in front of the Court House, so you can sit in the window of the BBQ place, enjoying a light meal, and watch the CSX compete with cars for space on the street. FUN
          Enjoy your visit. We returned to this area here from SoCal 3 years ago and really enjoy the Louisville area. BTW The ideal game for the NCAA Championship this year will be Kentucky vs. Louisville, with Louisville winning !!

pigface

RE: North-Central Kentucky Fri, 03/21/03 9:18 PM (permalink)
            Reservations it is for Easter, thank you for the heads up. I actually found that place through
            a CCVB web page about a week prior to your posting on Roadfood ... Thank you !
            Lynn's Paradise Cafe is calling me ... I like off beat places you tend to remember
            La Grange and CSX & Honda's does sound like my idea of fun ...
            It's hard for me NOT to visit Kentucky w/o Berea, and the Boone Tavern. I remember , maybe 25+ years ago, as a teenager, Thanksgiving Dinner, Sportcoat, with the sleeves longer than my arms,
            I've only been back 6 or 8 times since ...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com