Northbrook, IL

Author
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
2006/08/21 01:37:12 (permalink)

Northbrook, IL

I start a new job tomorrow in Northbrook. It's around Dundee Rd. (Rt. 68) and Landwehr Rd. I know the Wheeling location of Pita Inn is close by and there's a place called Go Roma Italian Kitchens kitty-corner from me. I looked up some places on Metromix and there's a decent priced sushi place called Kamehachi. Charlie Beinlich's isn't too far away either...any other suggestions? I'm looking for lunch places, where I can get a meal for $10 or less, preferably (I'd treat myself to $12 once in awhile :))

21 Replies Related Threads

dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 08:10:29 (permalink)
    good luck on the new job!
    i love pita inn.very fresh product,well made and inexpensive too.i go there whenever i can.
    i beleive there is a francesca's in northbrook[not sure how close they are to you]that serves lunch and their pastas are big,made to order and filling for under ten dollars and this includes fresh bread,parmesean cheese and olive oil.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 10:00:56 (permalink)
    About 2 and 1/2 miles west of your location is Milwaukee Ave. (Rt. 45) on which are many good lunch and dinner places that I am familiar with. Going south on Milwaukee Ave. from Dundee Rd. are three great places within a few blocks. One is Hackney's which is famous for their hamburgers, onion loafs and many other things. Nearby is Chicago Bagel & Bialy Deli which is out of this world. Best bialys in the midwest, as well as the bagels and sandwiches. And a little further is one of the best restaurants in America, Bob Chinn's Crabhouse Restaurant. They claim to have seating for 600 and serve an incredible variety of food. One of my favorites for lunch there is a small filet with fettuccine alfredo. Used to be under $10, but I imagine it's gone way up by now. They get very crowded, so you may have to get there early or late for lunch.

North on Milwaukee Ave. from Dundee Rd. there is the Ram Restaurant and Brewery, the Weber Grill Restaurant (from the Weber Grill fame), and a number of other good food places. The nearby Bucca Di Becco restaurant, last I knew, was not open for lunch.

Good luck with you new job.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 10:36:17 (permalink)
    If you can make it to Northbrook Court, Lettuce Entertain You has (re)opened Magic Pan crepes. It is located just across from Corner Bakery. The crepes are good, but the dessert crepes are outstanding. I hae had the chocolate brownie and the carmel apple. Both are delicious.

Of course, you can also visit the Corner Bakery there.

Tonelli's on Shermer and Waukegan has decent Italian food.

Max & Benny on Waukegan is a good Jewish deli with a big menu selection.

There is a hot dog joint on Shermer in down town about a block east of the Metra tracks. Louis? Good dogs and shakes.

Cookers is another hot dog joint in a strip mall on Lake Cook road just east of the Metra tracks, south side of street. Lunch specials every day.

irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 14:09:33 (permalink)
    Hi Abe- welcome to my corner of the universe!
    I agree with the rec for Tonellis-
    if you like Sushi- on Waukegan Rd just N of Dundee in the Shopping plaza w Trader Joes is Teppan Kegon- they do a great cheap lunch sushi special.
    I personally don't care for what's cooking across the street but some folks like them-it's a greek run everything on the menu type place-
    Also off Lake Cook, W of Waukegan in the Plaza with Blackies (which the food is good, the people are mean)is Cookers which is an EXCELLENT hamburger/Hotdog joint with AWESOME fries-
    I also like Pacific Rim cafe across from CHarlie Beinlichs (next to Kinkos)- they have this raw tuna tartare appetizer in a martini glass topped with 3 kinds of caviar that is not too $$ and so filling I have that with suonomi cucumber salad and it's lunch for me.- They are also never that busy- but it's really not a reflection on their food which has always been very good when I've eaten there.
    Also in Glenview on Willow (a little further south ) is Sweet Tomatoes which is a nice soup/salad bar with hot entrees also, if a bit pricier, and in the same plaza is a steak and shake if you get a burger craving- of course with Beinlichs there.....
    My hubby LOVES Beinlichs, but my burger prefernces run more to Hackneys (onion loaf-YUM)or Fuddruckers personally
    and on a personal note I have to ask if you are related to the Froeman family that were food brokers here in the chicago area, repped alot of seafood products- My Dad Seymour P used to work for them. (From Elaine-Seymour's little girl -irisarbor is my favorite screenname)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 14:23:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by irisarbor

...and on a personal note I have to ask if you are related to the Froeman family that were food brokers here in the chicago area, repped alot of seafood products- My Dad Seymour P used to work for them. (From Elaine-Seymour's little girl -irisarbor is my favorite screenname)
    Oh, this should be good (he said with a playful grin). Yes, abe tell us a little about your family background.

Buddy
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 15:17:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

quote:
    Originally posted by irisarbor

...and on a personal note I have to ask if you are related to the Froeman family that were food brokers here in the chicago area, repped alot of seafood products- My Dad Seymour P used to work for them. (From Elaine-Seymour's little girl -irisarbor is my favorite screenname)
    Oh, this should be good (he said with a playful grin). Yes, abe tell us a little about your family background.

Buddy

Oh, yeah.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 19:51:10 (permalink)
    Sorry iris, the "Abe Froeman" I'm referring to is from the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Abe Froeman, the "Sausage King of Chicago". I'm actually Buddy Roadhouse's daughter!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I never thought about Restuarant Row in Wheeling, though. Good idea. The Weber Grill Restaurant is actually closed. I think they're moving, but they're not sure where they're going.

I dunno about Hackney's- the last couple of times I've been there (in the past year and a half or so) I've been really underwhelmed- the meat's dried out and the service has kinda sucked.

I haven't been in Northbrook Court in awhile- is there anything worthwhile in the food court? I think I remember some good fresh sandwiches and salads and stuff.
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 20:43:44 (permalink)
    Ferris Bueller is a great movie-I love the Parade scene
    I remember when they filmed it- I went to HPHS, and we all laughed about about the U-boat captain joke for weeks-no wait- that was Risky Business(that house is on Sheridan Rd in HP)
    ...they all blend together-
    Anyhow that Porsche dealer (which is now torn down) used to be just a few blocks from the HS.
    As far as NB Ct- theres a Johnny Rockets which is good-
    MY daughter got food poisoning at the Chinese joint there...
    and there's all the usual fast food contenders-
    I always kinda like that bourbon chicken place-
    but you'd have to pay ME to eat McDonalds...
    If you have more time there is a Stir Crazy- one of my more devious girlfriends places the peapods around the rim of the bowl at a 90 degree angle to "extend" the bowl into a giant bowl so it can hold more veggies and "supersize" your stir fry, ensuring you will have enough left-overs for a second meal. (I swear this is something I NEVER would have thought up in a million years)
    I've heard good things about the new seafood restaurant there-Pescatore or something, but haven't eaten there yet, and I suspect it's pricey

Good luck on the new job!
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 20:49:27 (permalink)
    Hole-in-the-Wall is good Italian food, just down the street from Beinlich's.

When I was a kid, Hackney's was the bomb- thick, juicy burgers with skinny fresh-cut fries. It's just average now.

If you haven't,get the shrimp and crabmeat cocktail from Beinlich's. Outstanding.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/22 23:33:51 (permalink)
    Yeah, I remember Hackney's being a lot better. It was the first place I had a buffalo burger, and the last time I was there, it was so dry it was inedible. I had a better buffalo burger at Fuddrucker's!

Oh, Stir Crazy...read the "I'll Never Go There Again" thread (it was active a couple months ago)...I think my experience was location/waitress-specific, but I don't think I'll go there.

I will have to try the shrimp cocktail at Beinlich's- is it enough for a meal, or would I have to get something else? Maybe I could get it with the grilled cheese.

ETA: Disclaimer about the Fuddrucker's comment- I went there as a kid and it was awful- the grease just soaked through the bun, it was bad. I went there about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised to see that they expanded their menu to include some more exotic meats and I had the buffalo there- it was pretty damn good!
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/23 10:29:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by abe_froeman

I haven't been in Northbrook Court in awhile- is there anything worthwhile in the food court? I think I remember some good fresh sandwiches and salads and stuff.

quote:
    Originally posted by tsores

If you can make it to Northbrook Court, Lettuce Entertain You has (re)opened Magic Pan crepes. It is located just across from Corner Bakery. The crepes are good, but the dessert crepes are outstanding. I had the chocolate brownie and the carmel apple. Both are delicious.

irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/23 10:49:31 (permalink)
    Magic Pan is Fun, and 2 of the teenage employees are friends of my daughter LOL (1 is in my senior Girl Scout Troop)- so we always get a kick out of going there and teasing them-
    For dessert there's cold stone next store- but even though they are tasty I find them SO overpriced- and they really scr*wed someone I know on an investment issue.
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/23 20:34:08 (permalink)
    Abe -

I work for the "Good Hands People" just down the street so I am familiar with the area.

- Pita Inn is a great option although it is kinda far from where you are located and it gets very crowded at lunch.
    - Marie's Pizza in the plaza at the corner of Sanders and Dundee is a great. The always have various varities of slices available at lunch.
    - Gator's Pub at Milwaukee and Hintz (by Palwaukee airport) has awesome wings.
    - Monica's's Mexican located in the Palwaukee plaza (off Milwaukee) has great tacos.
    - Golden Chef on Milwaukee across from Bob Chinns
    - Ira's on Sanders (south of Dundee) has terrfic chicken sandwiches and hot dogs.
    - Photos has great sandwiches. I especially like their Greek salads.
    - Salerno's (same plaza as Photos)

You also may want to check out the Northbrook eats thread on LTHForum for additional ideas.

[url][/url]http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8547&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/23 21:45:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, Mouse, I just posted there.

My trip to Pita Inn today was 30 minutes, round trip- 10 minutes each way and 10 minutes in the place, so I still had 30 mins to eat and I had leftovers for dinner!

mousec
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/24 05:43:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by abe_froeman

Thanks, Mouse, I just posted there.

My trip to Pita Inn today was 30 minutes, round trip- 10 minutes each way and 10 minutes in the place, so I still had 30 mins to eat and I had leftovers for dinner!

Which Pita Inn did you go to? The location on 83 and Dundee is fairly close to me office but it is so small and crowded that I can never get a table. The newer location on Milwaukee ave also gets very crowded but it has a large dining room and I have never had a problem finding a table.

BTW - If you are making the trek to the location on 83, you may also want to check out El Famous Burrito and Whapagettis. Both are located in the same plaza north of Dundee on N. McHenry.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/24 12:47:16 (permalink)
    I went to the 83 & Dundee one. I took it back to the office, but there seemed to be a few tables open. maybe thery're less busy on Wednesdays.

There were a couple of taquerias at Dundee & Wolf, one on Dundee, west of Wolf, called Taqueria Al Pastor- people on LTH said it wasn't very good. The other one was around the corner, on Wolf, north of Dundee and I think it was called Taqueria Alamo- anyone ever been there?
    steveindurham
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/25 10:37:38 (permalink)
    I second the recommendation for Bob Chinn's in Wheeling. Used to go there all the time when visiting Wheeling. There is also a sports bar beside the Holiday Inn in Wheeling near the Pauwaukee airport. There used to be a 94th Aero Squadron restaurant near the Pauwaukee airport.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/25 14:08:06 (permalink)
    I tried Elegance in Meats (3135 Dundee) today- very good! It's part butcher shop, part salad bar and part deli. They have a wide selection of daily hot specials, too. I had a "small" chili mac (more than enough!) and some creamy cucumber salad. All for $5.09. Someone at work said they have excellent soups and I'll have to go back on a Thursday, when they have Oriental Chicken Soup- I heard it's very good.

Here's their website: http://www.eleganceinmeat.com/index.html

Oh, and they sell Roadhouse!
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/25 14:16:10 (permalink)
    Additional thoughts:

- Spiros in Glenview has great subs.
    - Lalos Mexican in Glenview have great lunch specials and most meals come with a complimentery bowl of their chicken soup.

Rick
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/26 09:17:26 (permalink)
    Whole Foods in Deerfield, on the corner of Deerfield & Waukegan has a self service food court with a deli. The food is healthy and fresh. Seating is also available. Your dad and I once lunched there in February while planning the Great Chicago Italian Beef Tour. Imagine eating healthy while planning a Roadfood event!

CSD
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Northbrook, IL 2006/08/26 09:49:56 (permalink)
    Thanks, CSD...this place I'm working for is a member society for doctors and anytime they have a big meeting, it's catered. They put the leftovers in the break room. It's always fairly healthy foods- whole wheat wraps, couscous, salads, roasted veggies. Long way from the giant sub sandwich and tray of donuts my old company considered haute cuisine.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1