The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Northern Hudson Valley

jumping frog

• Total Posts: 1
Northern Hudson Valley Mon, 06/30/03 7:34 AM (permalink)
Recommendations in the Hudson River Valley in New York State - particularly the northern counties, Ulster, Columbia and Dutchess

GrahamCampbell

• Total Posts: 3
    RE: Northern Hudson Valley Tue, 07/1/03 2:38 AM (permalink)
    Okay, I know food in Dutchess. The best place to go is in Red Hook, NY. The Red Hook Diner is perhaps my fave greasy spoon anywhere. The coffee is magic and the hashbrowns are amazing. God is in that kitchen I swear. Go there, and go often.
    Also, there is a place in the City of Poughkeepsie just off Rt. 9 called Rossi's Deli. Best meatball parm and chicken salad anywhere.
    There are many, many more...

Alirush

• Total Posts: 59
      RE: Northern Hudson Valley Tue, 07/1/03 9:13 AM (permalink)
      Jumping Frog,

Are you looking for true roadfood or a variety of recommendations?

I second GrahamCampbell's recommendation for the Red Hook Diner. I haven't been there in a while, but I spent many college days lounging in a booth over hot coffee and great breakfasts. You should also stop by Del's Dairy Creme in Rhinebeck for a cheeseburger and shake - roadfood at it's finest.

seafarer john

RE: Northern Hudson Valley Tue, 07/1/03 11:06 AM (permalink)
        Red Hook also has a good BBQ joint - sorry cant remember the name.I'm sure you are right about Del's, but Rhinebeck is just so so damn yuppie. The Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck serves excellent lunch and dinner - a bit pricey - not at all "roadfood"- I think it is still run by Larry Forgione.

The Rondout Creek waterfront in Kingston, Ulster County, has a number of interesting restaurants. We like Rosita's, a new Mexican place, with a comfortable deck on the water and a limited menu of chimichangas, tacos, burritos, etc. We like it because my wife can get a very mild sauce on whatever, and i can get something with a bit more zing, and there is pretty damn hot for those who like it.

Kingston also has two Dallas Hot Weiners joints. One on Broadway near the High School and one on North Front Street in the historic Stockade section of the city. The sauce is not consistently the same , but I've never had a bad hot dog in either place. We also like Deising's Bakery, which also has two locations , one on Broadway and the other a block from Dallas Hot Weiners in the Stockade. A good stop for pastry and coffee.

GrahamCampbell

• Total Posts: 3
          RE: Northern Hudson Valley Sat, 07/5/03 1:24 PM (permalink)
          The BBQ place I think you're talking about is Max's on Rt. 9. It opened about 6 years ago. Oh, and the Dairy Bar is a great place to stop after a hearty meal. Also, if you go up to Tivoli, there's some neat restaurants up there. It's a very small town, but I remember Pongo being quite good.

seafarer john

RE: Northern Hudson Valley Sat, 07/5/03 3:26 PM (permalink)
            A few miles west of New Paltz, at the intersection of rts 44/55 and 299 is the Mountain Brauhaus. Good wursts, beer and other German stuff, but a lot of people swear by the "GunksBurger" - a specialty of the house. It is an open face sandwich of hamburger, onions, etc. on a slab of raisin pumpernickle bread.

In Poughkeepsie is Aloy's Pizza on Garden Street. They have been serving an excellent square pizza there since at least 1941 - worth the detour.

Naterica

• Total Posts: 1
              RE: Northern Hudson Valley Mon, 07/7/03 3:22 PM (permalink)
              Saugerties and Route 212 towards Woodstock have some terrific restaurants. New World Catering (actually a restaurant also) and the Red Onion, and within Saugerties are Cafe Tamayo and Emiliano's (terrific!). All those I've metioned are in upper Ulster County and have been very favorably reviewed by all types of reviewers.
              Now if you head to Greene County, I can direct you to a fabulous German restaurant, as well as other types! :)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com