Hot!♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 07:50:02 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Regional chain. That's kind of like high-class call girl, isn't it?

Not sure

Nothing new here. I've been going to local chains all along ....
Primanti's, Machine Shed, Just about all the Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Joints, Teds (in Buffalo)
Tupelo Honey is no different..
-
Now on the other hand, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hardy's, Sonic, Famous Dave's or Waffle House
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 09:39:59 (permalink)
WJ - I'll be right back. I need to consult with Groucho.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 10:29:58 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Primanti's, Machine Shed, Just about all the Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Joints, Teds (in Buffalo)

Not to hijack this, but I consider Machine Shed to be the Midwest version of Cracker Barrel. But, I guess my standards of bona fide Roadfood may be at a different level than yours.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 10:35:15 (permalink)
JRPfeff

wanderingjew

Not to hijack this, but I consider Machine Shed to be the Midwest version of Cracker Barrel. But, I guess my standards of bona fide Roadfood may be at a different level than yours.

That's you're opinon

I love Machine shed and so does Buffetbuster (what do you have to say about that?) It's one of the few places left in Iowa that serves an  authentic Iowa Chop since The White Way went out of business 10 years ago because of Applebees. The Stern's love Machine Shed too- it's on the Roadfood website and in the Roadfood books- Cracker Barrel is not (what do you have to say about that? )And yes, you are hijacking MY thread- perhaps you should start a separate thread.

But I am asking that you respond to my comment about both Buffetbuster and The Stern's loving the Machine Shed

Oh, and IHOP stil SUCKS!
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/06/06 10:47:21
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 10:35:57 (permalink)
Serious looking biscuit! Asheville is a beautiful area.
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1037
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 11:46:36 (permalink)
I share the biscuit envy for the one you had at Tupelo Honey.
Even if it is a "regional chain."

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 12:52:39 (permalink)
As we're waiting for Jim to respond to my last question, I suspect that this is the expression on his face right now!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10209
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 15:07:51 (permalink)
wanderingjew
JRPfeff

Not sure
Tupelo Honey is no different.. -
Now on the other hand, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Hardy's, Sonic, Famous Dave's or Waffle House

Now hold on just one minute there WJ!
We Waffle Houser's and Hardee's/Carl's Jr. fans take exception with that remark! Nothing beats a Hardee's Biscuit or being Smothered, Covered, Diced, Chunked, Peppered, Capped or Topped at Waffle House.
You can however stay away from Sonic and especially Famous Dave's.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6254
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 15:15:30 (permalink)
Oh Foodbme...you're opening that can of worms again...but I agree with you, Waffle House is great...and I'm a pure Italian with Grandparents from Italy and I've been in Olive Garden, and lived(All you can eat soup and bread is a great lunch. If you like chain food, eat it...and as I've said so many times here...I've had terrible food at a roadfood joint....worse than chains.....and of course some superb food on the road!!

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 20:37:09 (permalink)
Sorry WJ, I've been busy eating Roadfood most of the day. Excellent bar burger at The Village Green in Middleton. Darn good craft-brewed porter, too.

Machine Shed, just 4.6 miles from my Pewaukee abode, but there are many authentic locally owned places within that radius offering Midwest cuisine. Make Machine Shed a national chain and put franchises in Raleigh or Providence and it makes great sense. In Wisconsin or Iowa, not so much.

On the other hand, Cracker Barrel is 10.8 miles from home, but is the only place I can think of that offers Southern favorites. Yum!

Jim
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 20:49:20 (permalink)
Foodbme
Now hold on just one minute there WJ!
We Waffle Houser's and Hardee's/Carl's Jr. fans take exception with that remark! Nothing beats a Hardee's Biscuit or being Smothered, Covered, Diced, Chunked, Peppered, Capped or Topped at Waffle House.
You can however stay away from Sonic and especially Famous Dave's.

WJ - Dagnab it. Don't make me agree with Foodbme.

As much as we may think of Waffle House as a Southern chain, they offer something I can't find elsewhere near my NC home. HASH BROWNS. In a grits and biscuit obsessed region, decent hash browns are hard to come by. My Harris-Teeter grocery store doesn't even carry them. Waffle House hash browns are fantastic.

And Hardee's biscuits never disappoint.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 20:58:45 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Sorry WJ, I've been busy eating Roadfood most of the day. Excellent bar burger at The Village Green in Middleton. Darn good craft-brewed porter, too.

Machine Shed, just 4.6 miles from my Pewaukee abode, but there are many authentic locally owned places within that radius offering Midwest cuisine. Make Machine Shed a national chain and put franchises in Raleigh or Providence and it makes great sense. In Wisconsin or Iowa, not so much.

On the other hand, Cracker Barrel is 10.8 miles from home, but is the only place I can think of that offers Southern favorites. Yum!

Jim

Not so fast....

You're dodging my question here... that  I and everyone else here on the forum wants to know. This isn't about me anymore....

The question is 
BUFFETBUSTER and THE STERNS  love the Machine Shed- WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT? 

You see, The Sterns love it so much that it's reviewed on the website 
http://roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/459/machine-shed

JRPfeff 
WJ - Dagnab it. Don't make me agree with Foodbme.  

As much as we may think of Waffle House as a Southern chain, they offer something I can't find elsewhere near my NC home. HASH BROWNS. In a grits and biscuit obsessed region, decent hash browns are hard to come by. My Harris-Teeter grocery store doesn't even carry them. Waffle House hash browns are fantastic. 

And Hardee's biscuits never disappoint. 

ahh... but neither Waffle House or Hardees are on the website nor in the Roadfood books.
I wouldn't know them from Ihop 

(for those who don't know....Jim and I have broken bread before and are just having fun with each other)
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 21:05:29 (permalink)
An appeal to authority is a fallacious form of argument. Sorry, that's just Logic 101. I aced it.

Besides, I don't take the word of those Yankees with regard to Midwestern food.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 21:16:58 (permalink)
Okay, if my opinion is being tossed around as if I am some kind of authority (which I am not), I may as well chime in.....

WJ, I like the Machine Shed fine.  Ate there once with Mark Johnson and once with Travelin' Man.  The food was good.  But to say I love the place is definitely overstating it.  It would be nowhere near the top of my list on future trips to Iowa.  Sorry to let you down here.

As for JRPfeff, Michael Stern is from Chicago.  He is as Mid-West as you.

Now, I will slowly back out of this viper's nest......
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/06/06 21:18:10
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 21:17:22 (permalink)
JRPfeff

An appeal to authority is a fallacious form of argument. Sorry, that's just Logic 101. I aced it.

And I will not second guess the two people who coined the term "Roadfood"
and Yankee or not...I think this speaks for itself

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 21:22:31 (permalink)
buffetbuster

uh-oh- it happened again

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 22:43:23 (permalink)
Dale,

Bobbi owns the Tupelo Honey Cafe cookbook. Your thread has inspired her to make the biscuits this weekend.

Jim
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10209
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 22:44:47 (permalink)
wanderingjew
JRPfeff

And I will not second guess the two people who coined the term "Roadfood"
and Yankee or not...I think this speaks for itself

Could this be Photo chopped???????????????????????????????????
(JRPfeff - I like that Appeal to Authority Argument!)
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/06 22:48:30
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/06 22:58:40 (permalink)
foodbme

I take 110% credit for that photo and it was on my old crappy camera too! 

Jim

I know Bobbi's pies so I'm convinced those biscuits  she prepares will be the real deal. 

Ok, heading to bed, heading  to the "Nutmeg" State tomorrow morning.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5033
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/07 07:33:49 (permalink)
buffetbuster

I don't know if this is the best comparison, as JRP's a Madison native and it's definitely not typical of the Midwest.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/06/07 07:41:49
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/07 08:16:46 (permalink)
Good point. Wieners, fat pizzas, and Italian beef don't exactly scream Midwest either.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/11 09:02:56 (permalink)
I haven't been ignoring completing this report. I have a really bad sinus infection and I've been barely making it into work and doing little else. I hope to continue with installment 3 of 4 tomorrow evening.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5033
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/11 09:12:59 (permalink)
Ugh, a sinus infection.  That snot fun at all.

(Seriously, I hope you're better soon.)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/11 09:13:51 (permalink)
Man, I hate it when people start trip reports and don't finish them!
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1647
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/11 19:13:33 (permalink)
Yuck on the sinus.Yay on the finish
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3962
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/11 19:39:22 (permalink)
Feel better soon, Dale. You've got too many people anxiously awaiting this for you to not feel good!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18370
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/11 20:27:12 (permalink)
wanderingjew

JRPfeff

Waffle House? Now just a damned minute!

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15237
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/12 20:49:11 (permalink)
Dale- One does NOT "go in" to a SONIC, One sit's in One's car at a Drive-in "stall" and orders thru the two-way speaker system. Then One's order is delivered to the car by a (usually) roller-skating server... or One may opt for the more traditional drive-thru window service.

Personally I prefer not to be caught dead in any Food serving establishment, whether it be Waffle House or Peter Luger's, or any of a gazillion places on the rating scale between (no offense intended for either place mentioned at the ends of my list.
If I am , indeed, "Caught Dead" I prefer it to be in my Lazy Boy recliner with a rack of  BRICK PIT RIBS, a Lb of Black's BBQ Brisket, a Dozen Wintzells Oysters w/hot sauce, 2 G&M Crab Cakes, a Pint of Graeter Peach Ice Cream, a Dozen Poppyseed Kolache, and a 6-pack of Shiner Summer Ale.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/12 20:58:48 (permalink)
Well,  thanks everyone. I'm feeling much better....But I learned my lesson..... read prescription labels carefully.  It turns out I was accidentally underdosing on Nasonex for the for the past 2 months, which likely led to the sinus infection..... I always have to deal with this during allergy season which seems to have extended an additional two weeks due to the late winter/late spring

Anyway on with the show...

Monday May 19

We decided to stop for coffee before heading downtown for breakfast

at Biltmore Coffee Traders

IMG_4511 by ohso37, on Flickr

A small rustic ramshackle joint near the Biltmore Estates. They even have a drive through

IMG_4512 by ohso37, on Flickr

There are two rooms, One for the roastery and a separate lounge room. The coffee was fine but not earth shattering. 

We then headed downtown and stopped at another Nancypalooza recommendation

IMG_4513 by ohso37, on Flickr

The Early Girl Eatery

located on one of the more quaint streets in downtown Ashville. As we were turning down the street, we thought we were driving down an alleyway or driveway. 

After looking at Sandra's orange  juice glass

IMG_4518 by ohso37, on Flickr

rumor has it that Nancypalooza was the model that posed for the artist depicting the girl on the glass 

I don't remember what Sandra had, but I had the porky bowl

IMG_4516 by ohso37, on Flickr

Homefries, eggs, pulled pork, cheese curds smothered with gravy.  This was a hearty stick to your ribs breakfast, with the smoky pulled pork commanding a tremendous presence. Probably my favorite breakfast of the trip. 

We did not have plans to stick around downtown today. We will do that the following day. After breakfast we took a nice long scenic ride towards the Great  Smokey Mountains National Park.  Before leaving for the trip we couldn't decide if we were going to spend the day on the Blue Ridge Parkway or head to Great Smokey Mountain National Park, we obviously decided on the latter as we didn't have time to do both.

Our first stop was Lake Junaluska

IMG_4519 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4524 by ohso37, on Flickr

Where I happenned to get a not so very good photo of some wildlife

IMG_4522 by ohso37, on Flickr

Bad aim, but all my good aim photos turned out blurry

Afterwards we headed towards Maggie Valley

A town which offers many craft, gift and antique shops which we browsed.

IMG_4525 by ohso37, on Flickr

We stopped here and wondered if that was Maggie standing outside the old pick up?

IMG_4526 by ohso37, on Flickr

We wish we could have made it to Stompin Grounds on a weekend. Live bluegrass and Square Dancing!

IMG_4529 by ohso37, on Flickr

We even stopped by Aunt Bee's Blessing Shop (how could we skip it??)

IMG_4532 by ohso37, on Flickr

It's good to see that she continued on with a fine, honest career after the Andy Griffith Show! Not like some of those young actresses today who just fall into sex and drugs.

Aferwards we continued on towards cherokee, but couldn't pass up the opportunity of some post card photo-ops of the Great Smokey Mountains

IMG_4536 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4539 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4541 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4542 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4543 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4549 by ohso37, on Flickr

We finally arrived in Cherokee

IMG_4546 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4547 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4548 by ohso37, on Flickr

Populated by many Native Americans, hence the name.

We continued to browse some of the shops. Since it was around lunch time, Sandra wanted to get a salad. There was a pizza joint nearby (Native American run or owned?)  with a pizza and salad buffet. We decided to get take out. I actually did the unthinkable and got a couple of slices of pizza off the buffet line for like a buck each. It was probably some of the nastiest stuff I ever ate. It certainly didn't deserve to be called pizza. It made Gatti's Pizza which I suffered through in Austin TX 9 years earlier,taste good!

After lunch, we took a hike at a local park in town enjoying some more natural beauty

IMG_4554 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4557 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4558 by ohso37, on Flickr

We even ran into some bamboo trees

IMG_4559 by ohso37, on Flickr

We walked by the Museum of the Cherokee Indian but didn't have enough time to check it out. Besides, with such a beautiful day, who'd want to spend it indoors?

IMG_4564 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4565 by ohso37, on Flickr

So we continued our walk

IMG_4567 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4569 by ohso37, on Flickr

It's always  great to see people who take their fishing seriously

IMG_4571 by ohso37, on Flickr

We finally made it to Great Smokey Mountain National Park later on in the afternoon.

We walked around the welcome center and museum

IMG_4574 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4573 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4572 by ohso37, on Flickr

I was looking for our own Paul Smith (Sundancer 7) in these photos but I couldn't find him! 

Outside the museum there was a re-created farmhouse and village as well as another river trail

IMG_4576 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4578 by ohso37, on Flickr

Apparently hog rearing was big on these farms.
Not sure if you see the couple in the foreground. They're from Germany and they approached Sandra and I and asked in their thick German accents  "what is a hog?" When we explained it's another word for a pig, they understood, after they left, we wondered what would we say if they didn't know what a pig was? 

IMG_4581 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4579 by ohso37, on Flickr

It was much later in the day than we thought. Initially our plan was to drive the 30 miles to Gatlinburg TN from the park entrance but it was getting late.

We headed back towards Asheville, Sandra had seen several signs for "bawled p-nuts" and wanted to try some as she never had them before. We stopped at an old ramshackle shack and an old native american guy was "bawlin'" away. So for a few bucks we grabbed  bag. I suggested we eat them immediatley as they "go bad" after they cool. 
We only had a handful , they were good but we didn't want to spoil our appetite for dinner.

Speaking of dinner. We headed back to Asheville and I understand it would not be a trip to Asheville without stopping at the Moose Cafe

IMG_4586 by ohso37, on Flickr

Some how affiliated with local farmers market assuring that all their veggies are homemade and fresh

IMG_4587 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4595 by ohso37, on Flickr

Each meal begins with a couple of homemade biscuits and apple butter

IMG_4588 by ohso37, on Flickr

which were fine but couldn't compare to the ones we had the day before at Tupelo Honey

Like me, I believe Sandra and I both got the Chicken and Dumplin's as our main course

We also got four different veggie's to share..

IMG_4589 by ohso37, on Flickr

The Chicken and Dumplin's  were actually quite good in a rich creamy sauce. The dumplings were homemade
The meal comes with corn bread but as good as the main course was, it was the veggies that truly shined

IMG_4591 by ohso37, on Flickr

pinto beans with homemade chow chow served in a small tub on the side

IMG_4594 by ohso37, on Flickr

sweet potato souffle which could have passed for dessert 

IMG_4590 by ohso37, on Flickr

An incredible cool corn salad which tasted as if it could have been fresh off the cob

and some soft limp green beans loaded with porkine goodness (unfortunately Sandra already loaded them on to her plate before I could nab a photo )

The corn salad and green beans were my favorite.  After this meal, dessert was clearly out of the question

Of course we said goodbye to the lifesized moose as we left

IMG_4596 by ohso37, on Flickr

As we returned to the hotel, I realized this will be our last overight stay in Asheville and of course I can't leave without heading to at least one brew pub. I asked the desk clerk and he recommended Pisgah Brewing in nearby Black Mountain . He described the brewers as "Alchemists". We took the 15 or 20 minute drive to Black Mountain. the tap room itself is small, Sandra described as "someone's garage" I had a very refreshing Pale Ale - clearly the best beer of the trip..

Afterwards we returned to the hotel for the night....

The final chapter....next week...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/06/12 21:04:11
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/12 21:01:10 (permalink)
Al- I just saw your post

It seems clearly obvious you and I both want  "to go out of this world" the same way! 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1