Hot!♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/12 21:33:04 (permalink)

Thanks for screening it off with that fine chapter in your report.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2613
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/12 21:34:22 (permalink)
Dale - You are a better Roadfooder than me. I made Bobbi eat at a place in Cherokee. Bad mistake, Bad food.

We've never had a bad meal in Asheville. We are heading back to the Biltmore later this month. We're staying in Saluda --- check them out next time you're in North Carolina.

Jim

p.s. I take back my criticism of Tupelo Honey. Bobbi made the biscuits and Martin made the gravy from their cookbook --- the best I have ever eaten.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1378
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/13 11:29:12 (permalink)
That porky bowl looked fantastic!!!    

Love the mountain pics, too--such a beautiful area.  I haven't been there in many years, so very much enjoyed seeing your photos.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/13 12:06:27 (permalink)
What a fantastic trip report so far! Those pictures! That food! Never been to that part of NC before and I've been missing a LOT.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1087
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/13 13:09:59 (permalink)
Excellent!  We stayed two nights in Asheville two summers ago but most of the trip was taken up by touring the Biltmore.  I already wanted to go back and do other things around there but this makes it a must. 

And don't worry, I don't think you missed out by not getting to Gatlinburg.  I'm not the biggest fan.  We were there in April and it's just one big tourist trap.  We did enjoy exploring the national park.  We saw 8 bears by using our outdoor tracking skills.  We would carefully survey the woods and then get out of the car when we saw 200 other people standing on the side of the road pointing. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/13 21:39:22 (permalink)
Excellent job of getting back in the saddle, WJ!  You picked some winners but I think I'd have to award the blue ribbon to the porky bowl in a photo finish.

Was the turtle moving too fast for you to get him into the frame?

mayor al

If I am , indeed, "Caught Dead" I prefer it to be in my Lazy Boy recliner with a rack of  BRICK PIT RIBS, a Lb of Black's BBQ Brisket, a Dozen Wintzells Oysters w/hot sauce, 2 G&M Crab Cakes, a Pint of Graeter Peach Ice Cream, a Dozen Poppyseed Kolache, and a 6-pack of Shiner Summer Ale.
Yet the true culprit will eventually be identified as a wafer-thin mint...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7768
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/14 09:15:51 (permalink)
Jim,

Next time I see you, I'll be expecting a plate of warm biscuits

hatteras04

Since we had limited time in Asheville, we did not do the Biltmore Estates. Since I have friend/family in Charlotte,  we will be back in Ashevillle again and the Biltmore will be first on our list.

Brad

You know how fast those turtles can be- they move even quicker than a Roadfooder grabbing for that last beef rib at Louie Mueller's 
The turtle was actually quite a distance a way from where I was taking the photo.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/14 14:10:20 (permalink)
I don't understand, why was the turtle eating Louie Mueller's beef ribs.  Does Louie know about this?  That turtle is just lucky he wasn't eating my beef ribs, or else we'd be eating turtle soup right now.

Buddy
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 13:58:15 (permalink)
yeah....I know...I can hear the "groans and sighs" for bringing back this thread in lieu of "Mayo on a Cheesesteak"

Well keep groaning and sighing, cause I'm going to complete the report this evening...
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 18:37:35 (permalink)
It's about time!  Oh, wait, you're forgiven, you've been teaching Ohioans about lobster bombs.  But we really are looking forward to the last installment, complete with more musical notes! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 20:17:43 (permalink)
Tuesday May 20

This morning we did the reverse of what we did the day before. We decided to go for breakfast first before having coffee. With the recent closing of the Roadfood reviewed Tomato Jam Cafe, I was in search of a joint that specialized in  cat head biscuits. After doing some research, I found that place
We started out in the funky West Asheville neighborhood. A very new joint that had "Nancypalooza" written all over it. I was surprised she had never visited...

IMG_4616 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

Biscuit Head

As you can see, I now know the reason, it's brand new, having opened last year
As I walked in, I could not get over how busy the place was for a random tuesday morning

IMG_4612 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

Just look at this crowd- and it's a tuesday!

The menu is just incredibly amazing. I truly felt like a kid in a candy store...

IMG_4598 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4597 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

After we ordered, Sandra pointed out all the homemade jams and flavored spreads and toppings which I neglected to see when we first walked in..

IMG_4606 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4607 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4608 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4609 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4610 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4601 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

And the restaurant itself had some creative decor

IMG_4613 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4614 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

I ordered the Country Ham biscuit

IMG_4611 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

This was a delicious mess of country ham that was fried to a crisp to the point that it had the crispyness of bacon,  and was topped with egg, cheese, fried green tomatoes on  a huge, warm  crumbly soft n dense biscuit with a ramekin of "espresso" red eye gravy served on the side.

Sandra opted for eggs, a biscuit and a side of pulled pork

IMG_4602 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

And to top this all, the coffee is roasted by the local roaster, beanwerks....Ironically this was also my favorite coffee of the trip and I wasn't even at a coffee house. My only regret is that I should have had more than one cup!

Sandra declared this meal, her second favorite of the trip.

Biscuit Head is truly a gem!

After breakfast we headed to downtown Asheville which is where we were going to spend the day
We stopped first  at the very funky coffeehouse Izzy's Coffee Den 

IMG_4619 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

A very funky-boho coffee house which most members of the forum would probably picture as the "typical coffee house" (it really isn't)

IMG_4620 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

The coffee was fine but not earth shattering...

Afterwards we wandered into the legendary Mast General Store...

IMG_4621 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

An interesting store with interesting items. The best place I can compare this to is A Schwab in Memphis. They had hats but unfortunately no sombreros.

I did find an interesting book that may make a certain roadfooder take a second look

IMG_4622 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

As we were strolling a few interesting things caught our attention. I've seen a few interesting coffee houses throughout the years but this was a first...

IMG_4624 - Copy by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4626 by ohso37, on Flickr

A Coffee Bus!

We ended up going into a few craft stores...Especially those that sold local crafts

IMG_4628 by ohso37, on Flickr

And we also found the building that held the original downtown loacation of the now defunct S & W Cafeteria

IMG_4632 by ohso37, on Flickr

Afterwards we realized that we really need to iron things out...

IMG_4634 by ohso37, on Flickr

Which we did as we listened to some bluegrass musicians do there thing...

IMG_4636 by ohso37, on Flickr

Being inspired, we picked up a local bluegrass CD at one of the downtown gift shops..

We walked into and took a look around at the newly restored grove arcade

IMG_4637 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4638 by ohso37, on Flickr

Which now houses shops, restaurants and even condominiums...

Afterwards we decided to check out the Woolworth Walk, a combination art and craft gallery. Unfortunately I did not get a photo of the exterior. It was now lunch time and we were getting hungry. What was cool about the Woolworth walk is they have a re-created soda fountain to resemble the old Woolworth Soda Fountains of old...
Sandra ordered a salad of some type. I decided to be adventurous and order a pimento cheese sandwich..

IMG_4640 by ohso37, on Flickr

I'm sure you're all wondering what I mean when I say adventurous, well after my last (and first) experience trying a pimento cheese sandwich at the horrific and nasty Beacon Drive In I didn't know what I was going to get myself into. Well, low and behold, this was pleasant surprise. The bread was just plain ol' toast but the cheese is locally made and had a nice flavor... just enough to hold me over till dinner.

After we left we did some more people watching....

IMG_4642 by ohso37, on Flickr

And went to our last stop

IMG_4644 by ohso37, on Flickr

The basilica of St Lawrence, a Catholic church that goes back to the turn of the last century...

IMG_4646 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4650 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_4652 by ohso37, on Flickr

We then drove back to Charlotte.... We thought about stopping for dinner at Long Creek Fish Fry in Dallas NC, and I'm glad I checked their website , if I didn't we would have been Travelin Manned- closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
We did get to listen to that Bluegrass CD on the way back to Charlotte.

After resting for a bit in the La Quinta Airport we headed out for dinner.

While planning this trip, my first thought was to return to the Penguin. I understand The penguin changed ownership a couple of years back. Rumor has it has taken a turn (a very big turn) for the worst. The crowds are gone and the same yelpers who gave The Penguin 4 or 5 stars have subsequently updated their reviews and are giving them 1 or 2 stars....I'm not sure what happened and if I was alone, I would have checked the place out myself to see if the downturn was true, however since Sandra was with me I wanted to have a good experience...so we ended up instead at...

IMG_4663 by ohso37, on Flickr

Pinky's Westside Grill

IMG_4662 by ohso37, on Flickr

There is indoor and outdoor seating...
IMG_4661 by ohso37, on Flickr

we chose to eat outdoors which as you can see most of the patrons were doing..

I started out with a local red oak amber lager and Sandra and I shared a Fried Squash Appetizer

IMG_4657 by ohso37, on Flickr

The fried squash was quite different from what we enjoyed at Cafe South 3 days earlier. The squash at Pinky's was thinly sliced and tempura fried, but it was still very good.

I ordered the "westside mammoth burger"

IMG_4659 by ohso37, on Flickr

Double pattie, loaded with slaw, chili mustard, cheddar and onion. 

It was a fine burger but if memory served me correct, I preferred the one at the Penguin (at least the original penguin prior to new ownership)

Pinky's was a fine ending to a great trip- I'm not sure if D, D & D has been there yet, if not, I'm sure they'll get there eventually.

In the initial stage of planning our trip we had thought about seeing a Charlotte Knights game at the new ballpark, located Uptown. (that's downtown for everyplace else) unfortunately there were no good seats left and the prices on line were $60 + for a decent seat (this is minor league) considering our early flight the next day we decided against it. 

We returned to our hotel as we had an 8 AM flight the next morning. We were back in Rhode Island on Wednesday before noon...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/06/19 20:19:35
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1378
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 21:07:46 (permalink)
Biscuit Head looks like quite a find!  I have a question:  the biscuits you got look a little underbaked to me--what did you think?  
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 420
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 21:19:48 (permalink)
Loved everything about this trip!  Very eclectic food choices, and gorgeous scenery.  Makes me want to head for NC!  And thank goodness you finally had a good pimento cheese experience!  Whew!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 21:39:11 (permalink)
love2bake

I don't think it was underdone but it was certainly warm and moist- The glare didn't help on that photo as I was right next to the window, which is why Sandra's biscuit fared better in the photo

will_work_4_bbq

now all I have to do is find a Pimento Cheese Sandwich on good homemade bread and I've got it made!

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 22:09:38 (permalink)
The country ham biscuit looks wonderful!  Actually, all the food looks wonderful!  Thanks for another beautiful trip report!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 23:01:56 (permalink)
Biscuit Head looks like a splendid place. Thanks for introducing it to us.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 557
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/19 23:23:31 (permalink)

Wow!  Great report!  Biscuit Head looks like it's worth a trip all by itself.  The timing of this report is perfect, as Janet and I are considering the Charlotte area for a 4th of July weekend trip. 

Glenn

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/20 10:19:01 (permalink)
Not only do Biscuit Head's biscuits look great but their gravy list is impressive as well!  I'll take one with pork sausage and one with fried chicken, please...and a plain one with lots of butter for dessert.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/20 11:09:44 (permalink)
I am pretty sure that

Pinky's was opened by one of the former principals at The Penguin

and

There is also a place very near the Penguin called "The Diamond Restaurant" that is owned/managed/run by several other former principals at the Penguin
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/20 19:14:50 (permalink)
WOW!  I want a country ham biscuit and that burger now!  Beautiful report as usual, Dale.  Thanks!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/20 21:40:32 (permalink)
Good timing on this update Dale. Bobbi & I intend to stop in Charlotte for a burger next Saturday on our way to the mountains. I was pushing for Pinky's and she wants to go to the Penguin. We didn't know about the management change when we went to the Penguin last year and found the food to be really good.

Since you were not overly enthusiastic about Pinky's, we'll go back to the Penguin. We enjoyed our burger there last year, and Bobbi is having fantasies about their fries.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2014/06/20 21:56:39
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/23 10:31:01 (permalink)
TJ

Looking at all three menu's from Pinky's, The Penguin and the Diamond - that would seem to make sense

Jim

Don't let me dissuade you from going to Pinky's it was a fine burger, however if you do go the Penguin, let us know how it is, its just that recent reviews for the place have just been awful.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/23 10:41:34 (permalink)
Dale - We ate at the Penguin last August. The food was better than "fine" in our judgement. There may be some local hard feeling reflected in the online reviews. It sounds like the owners of the Penguin were pretty hardline in there business dealings with the folk who left to start Pinkie's.

We may also try out the Diamond.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2014/06/23 10:43:31
Texascajun
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:♪ ♫ Nothing could be fine-uh than to be in Carolina.....on a four day weekend ♩ ♬ 2014/06/24 07:05:08 (permalink)
Another great report. Thanks.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1