The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo?

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 7:07 AM (permalink)
So what exactly is a caramelo pictured in this day's restaurant review? The image shows small corn tortillas(?) topped with cheese(?) and meat(?) that is then dressed with salsa or pico de gallo? Searches do not bring up anything related to this food item. Is this specific to just this restaurant? Would love some further information, please.

Michael Stern

Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 7:28 AM (permalink)
    Caramelo translates as candy; but throughout Tucson (and maybe beyond -- I don't know), it refers to a sort of super quesadilla -- a grilled tortilla sandwich with cheese and either beef or chicken inside. It generally comes plain, and it's up to the customer to apply whatever salsas, peppers, etc. desired at the condiment bar. Do we have a a Sonoran-food expert who can help explain?

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
      Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 8:08 AM (permalink)
      I think it's an extremely regional meaning. Here is the best I could find:
      A Beginner's Guide to Real Mexican Tacos

Popular Real Mexican Taco Combinations

Taco de carne asada - Taco made of grilled meat
      Taco caramelo - Taco of grilled meat with melted Chihuahua, Manchego or any kind of melting cheese
      Taco de pastor - Taco made of marinated meat, grilled onions and pineapple
      Taco de tripa - Taco of the cow's udder... yeah, it sounds gross, but it's really tasty
      Taco rasurado - Taco made of grilled meat from the rib

MiamiDon

Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 8:58 AM (permalink)
        I must be in an alternate universe.

Today is November 24th, 2009, and the Restaurant of the Day is Reo's Ribs, and the photo is of ribs.

Michael Stern

Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 9:07 AM (permalink)
          MD -- It is likely El Guero Canelo will be tomorrow's Restaurant of the Day. I just posted the review this morning, and my understanding of the Magic 8-Ball computer logic that chooses Restaurant of the Day is that it first goes for "most recently posted," and if that's already been Restaurant of the Day, it finds one at random from past posts.

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
            Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 9:24 AM (permalink)

I must be in an alternate universe. Today is November 24th, 2009, and the Restaurant of the Day is Reo's Ribs, and the photo is of ribs.

Haha, I was wondering the same.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
              Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 9:47 AM (permalink)
              Thank you, Don.

I was about to go search for a second board area that I must have been missing.

MiamiDon

Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 10:11 AM (permalink)
                Thank you for the explanation, Michael.  I wondered how the choice was made.

Now if I can only figure out why the order of the Latest Restaurant Reviews sometimes mysteriously changes....

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15075
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 7:31 PM (permalink)
                  Days/Dates aside, Reo's Ribs are outstanding!

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 9:59 PM (permalink)
                    MiamiDon

Thank you for the explanation, Michael.  I wondered how the choice was made.

Now if I can only figure out why the order of the Latest Restaurant Reviews sometimes mysteriously changes....

That was me.  I noticed a typo in the Niecie's review.  I corrected it, and when I saved my changes it became the most recent review.

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                      Re:Nov. 24, 2009 restaurant of the day...caramelo? Tue, 11/24/09 11:06 PM (permalink)
                      Sorry folks! Just had a little senior moment there when I posted my question about the caramelo. This restaurant was indeed listed under the Latest Restaurant Reviews. So it is a small tortilla sandwich of sorts? Whatever....looks delicious!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com