Number 1000 for me

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
2006/06/13 15:12:21 (permalink)

Number 1000 for me

I had been holding off for something good to write about for 1000, but I thought that this was more interesting than anything that I could write. I have been one of Stan's customers for at least 15 years, and I have talked to him on the phone once or twice, but I don't really know him. He is one of the countries leading experts on farm (not range) sheep production.

I don't always agree with him, but he always presents a good arguement. His take on how we will get to more expensive carbs, and cheaper protein (except from hogs and chicken) was, at least to me, interesting. It hasn't happened yet. Today I paid 1.99 per lb for skinless chicken breast, I didn't buy the whole cut up chix at 89 cents/lb. IMO, that is cheap.
www.premier1supplies.com/newsletters/06-072006.html

BTW when I mention range vs farm sheep production, range is as depicted in "Brokeback Mountain". Farm production is generally with smaller flocks that are rotated into a new fresh green pasture every day or two. Most of the innovations in farm sheep production have come from New Zealand and Europe. Stan as much as anyone, has brought the new methods to the USA.

Stan does not mention sugar ethanol. For years, the American public has put up with expensive domestic sugar, but I don't know if the American public will put up with expensive USA produced ethanol, when Brasil can produce it cheaper. Today Brasil can not export sugar or ethanol to the USA without a big tax.

4 Replies Related Threads

Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Number 1000 for me 2006/06/13 15:31:54 (permalink)

Congrats on 1000!!!!!

Not sure iffen this has any bearing on your post about livestock, but all my chickens are free range, guess that makes them "BrokeMountain" although I haven't noticed two roosters gettin friendly.

Just kiddin, the production of ethanol will definitely affect the price we pay for meat at the supermarket. Iffen you got the land, I say go free-range.......feed is gonna go through the roof.
    IMHO,
    Copper

PS 6 of one half a dozen of another.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Number 1000 for me 2006/06/14 07:07:31 (permalink)
    tmiles, Thanks for those 1000 informative posts, I always look forward to your contribution to this site. Sempre Fi Chow Jim
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Number 1000 for me 2006/06/14 10:25:46 (permalink)
    Congrats on 1000. I look forward to your next 1000.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Number 1000 for me 2006/06/14 12:19:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

my chickens are free range, guess that makes them "BrokeMountain" although I haven't noticed two roosters gettin friendly. ...... Iffen you got the land, I say go free-range.......feed is gonna go through the roof.
    IMHO,
    Copper

PS 6 of one half a dozen of another.

Stan's company sells a special free range system for chickens. I have no personal experience with it. It looks too expensive to me, but people in the free range chicken business use it. They must need to get about $5 a pound for the free range chicken with the costs that they have. Maybe we go back to the bad ole days when chicken was a luxury food. I hope not.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1