The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Nuttin' like an old Smoothie

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
Nuttin' like an old Smoothie Sun, 04/11/04 11:19 AM (permalink)
quote:
Boyer Candy back in business

Predicts sweet future for Mallo Cups, Smoothies
ALTOONA, Pa. (AP) -- Boyer Candy Co., the sweets maker trapped in a bitter fight to stay alive last year, appears to have dodged a candy calamity.

The Altoona confectioner was on a five-day production schedule last week for the first time in months, churning out its coveted Mallo Cups, Smoothies and peanut butter cups.

While production is still spotty, it is a big comeback for a company that at this time last year had been shut down for six months as a divided family fought for control of the chocolate vats inside.

The company has experienced 20 percent to 23 percent growth each month since it began making candy again in August, company officials said.

''We're still on thin ice and about a quarter pound from falling through,'' said Roy Mollomo, Boyer's chief operating officer. ''But I think for the first time we've again established credibility, and when you're making candy, that's everything.''

A year ago this week, a judge ousted the chief executive officer of Boyer in a scathing review of the company's finances. He pulled Mollomo out of retirement and appointed him trustee with the mission of bringing the company back from the brink.

The court battle began soon after company President Anthony Forgione died following open-heart surgery in 2001. His former wife sued to oust the chief financial officer and regain trusteeship and control over company shares that she claimed she was forced to give up under duress.

The two ensuing years of legal maneuvering set two Forgione children against their mother and a younger sibling. Creditors were spooked enough that funding dried up. Eventually, Boyer stopped making chocolate, coconut and most other things that have made it synonymous with creature comfort for about 70 years.

To bring the company back, Mollomo reintroduced recipes used in 1934 by the two brothers who founded the company during the Great Depression. He also introduced a new line of chocolate and peanut butter pretzels.

Boyer at one time sold its candies up and down the East Coast and as far west as the Mississippi River. It is only now making its way back on shelves in Pennsylvania, Ohio, some parts of New York, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
    RE: Nuttin' like an old Smoothie Sun, 04/11/04 12:03 PM (permalink)
    YAY! I lovvvve Mallo Cups. They're hard to find around here, but when I do find them, they're at Family Dollar Stores. And then - they get snapped up by yours truly!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6216
      RE: Nuttin' like an old Smoothie Mon, 04/12/04 2:52 AM (permalink)
      Wow! Haven't had a Mallow Cup in years! Sure loved 'em as a kid though!

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
        RE: Nuttin' like an old Smoothie Tue, 04/13/04 3:18 PM (permalink)
        I really do like Mallo Cups. I bought a 10 pack at Dollar General this past weekend and they are so yummy. They are one of my favorite candies. My husband says that when he was a boy, he used to save those little point cards and redeem them to get free Mallo cups.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com