O Country Buffet's Chowder..

Author
JAHelgy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
2005/04/15 15:51:03 (permalink)

O Country Buffet's Chowder..

Is anybody out there as in love with Old Country Buffet's clam chowder as I am????? MAN, this stuff is FANTASTIC!!!!!

-----James

9 Replies Related Threads

berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/04/15 16:45:54 (permalink)
    James, last month you were addicted to Red Lobster's clam chowder. Now it's Old Country Buffet???

You might want to lighten up a little on loving "chain" chowder so much or you'll get a reputation for being too easy to please. Just kidding.

By the way, I had some of the best New England Clam Chowder I ever tasted about two weeks ago here in Rochester at The Grill at Strathallan. This is a fancy-shmancy upscale dining place, and their chowder in addition to the usual clam pieces had three littleneck clams in the shell in it. Wonderful soup, but a bit pricy at about $8.00 a bowl. My cousin was visiting from out of town and staying at the Strathallan, and The Grill has an excellent reputation, in addition to one of the biggest wine lists I have ever seen.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/05/21 09:10:01 (permalink)
    I hate hate hate absolutely anything that comes from Old Country Buffet, Ryans Buffet, Golden Corral , or any others of their ilk. If I wanted bland institutional food I'd eat at an elementary school, hospital, or prison.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/05/21 10:07:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

I hate hate hate absolutely anything that comes from Old Country Buffet, Ryans Buffet, Golden Corral , or any others of their ilk. If I wanted bland institutional food I'd eat at an elementary school, hospital, or prison.

The sweet potato logs that GC USED to have were pretty good, though...
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/05/21 11:31:12 (permalink)
    Feh, I say, feh. The only clam chowder worthy of the name is Rhode Island-style. Clams, potatoes, onions, salt pork, pepper, water. That's all. No milk and cream to cover up inferior ingredients. When I go home to New England, I ask my dad to make some chowder so it's ready when I get there.

The above post is tongue-in-cheek, and I hope that it is taken as such, as I hate food snobbery and snottiness. I do hope, however, that those who haven't been lucky enough to try it Rhode Island-style get to do so. It tastes like nothing else. It's heavenly. Ranks with Pepe's white clam pizza and Margerite's stuffies, and steamers of course, as the best way to enjoy clams.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/05/21 11:59:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by essvee

Feh, I say, feh. The only clam chowder worthy of the name is Rhode Island-style. Clams, potatoes, onions, salt pork, pepper, water. That's all. No milk and cream to cover up inferior ingredients. When I go home to New England, I ask my dad to make some chowder so it's ready when I get there.

The above post is tongue-in-cheek, and I hope that it is taken as such, as I hate food snobbery and snottiness. I do hope, however, that those who haven't been lucky enough to try it Rhode Island-style get to do so. It tastes like nothing else. It's heavenly. Ranks with Pepe's white clam pizza and Margerite's stuffies, and steamers of course, as the best way to enjoy clams.

I really do like that Rhode Island style chowder, which, by the way, is also popular in eastern Connecticut. But I prefer so-called New England clam chowder -- the white stuff. I guess it has a lot to do with having grown up with it.
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/05/21 14:41:33 (permalink)
    I don't think Old Country is bad. It is a good place to go with a group. Few people that I know of love it, but offhand I can't think of anyone who hates it.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/07/04 14:20:56 (permalink)
    If you're ever in Milford, CT. Make sure to stop by Bobette's for their Famous Mussel Chowder. It's a little roadside dive. Loved it. They also serve RI style. If the lines at lunch are any indication 'tis also well liked. It was recomended to me and I ate there for lunch every day for two weeks.

http://www.bobettes.com
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/07/04 14:24:12 (permalink)
    I agree with the water added only clam chowder.
    Thats what I grew up with
    fastfood
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: O Country Buffet's Chowder.. 2005/07/21 00:59:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JAHelgy

Is anybody out there as in love with Old Country Buffet's clam chowder as I am????? MAN, this stuff is FANTASTIC!!!!!

-----James

I thought they changed their name to hometown buffet.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1