OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Author
Brian Briggs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/06 07:30:26 (permalink)
Thanks. I am going to do a BBQ truck and the flames will fit perfectly. Heading out to look a panel truck this morning.
BackAlleyBurger
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/07 20:48:28 (permalink)
well....the ol' girl just made her debut on the roads after(mostly) the rebuild
hazard flashers- check
turn signals- check
brake lights- check
running, clearance, dome lights- check
headlight(s)- check, lol, i still have one out for repairs to fender
dash lights- check
gauges working- check
signal indicators, high beam indicator, charging light- check
horn- WTF !!!!! no horn, i hope i just left the plug undone, will see tomorrow

i got the starter and feed wire hooked up today after finishing the dash, and no, sadly there are no pics of the dash final wiring..... but let me tell ya, it was a job and a half !
after sitting for a moment, and figuring out i had hooked up the last wire, i dawned on me i was ready to turn the key !! i did exercise some patients and went through my entire wiring check list one last time.... turned the key to accessory position.......all well.....everything worked as it should in that position..... turned key to on position.....everything was cool.... everything worked properly..... sat in the seat, took a deep breath and turned the key..... she fired up after about 5 seconds of turning over.... not too bad for a 34 y/o truck that has been sitting idle in the yard for last 2 months :) 
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/07 21:00:33 (permalink)
i have a couple of extra LED clearance lights i am using for a dome light right now, lol....those little suckers really put out some (red)light !!

i took the innards out of a couple of the old clearance lights and modified them them and tied into the rear turn signals.... this is needed to make the flasher unit operate properly....... the LED's just dont pull enough juice to trip the flasher, and a new "led flasher unit" is 13 bucks, and i was told they are nothing but trouble(not very dependable to last) so i did it "old school way"

i have the wrong neutral safety switch, it works as far as the "safety" part goes, but the model i have now lights up my reverse lights when i go into drive, so i temp unplugged the light feed and will have to go to oriellys tomorrow and sort that out....
the side pipes are already a big hit, lol...i got a couple of different honks and a couple of thumbs up in the short time i was out....and they aren't even tied in yet !  i think they were thumbs, lol...might have been fingers
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/07 21:06:37 (permalink)
i cant believe how bright the new LED lights are..... i have to say if your on the fence about them...go for it, you will be happy :)
i still have to wire up the stereo, and build a "box" for the speakers, i need to get a small amp first, nothing crazy, maybe just a nice 100w 2 channel..... i think that would be perfect......
i am just glad to have most of this stage behind me now.... will spend tomorrow buttoning up a few small issues, and hopefully get started on the walls next week!
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/07 21:48:11 (permalink)
i have learned many lessons doing this.....first and foremost, be a little more realistic about time frames, lol
according to the more optimistic me from the beginning of this thread i should be about 3 months into slinging dawgs, lol....
admittedly there were a couple of set backs, and the never ending money issues, and i will admit, i am easily distracted sometimes..... but this is still the most awesome project i have undertaken to date..... and i cant wait to sell that first item when she is up and running...... i hope its a hot dog ! :)
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/08 03:40:21 (permalink)
this isnt that great a pic....but it should give you an idea of the dash in the dark, lol........... i do want to get some blue bulbs for the gauges

BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/08 18:05:32 (permalink)
here is my latest idea for filling in my holes.... all 100 or so of them ! let me know what you guys think.....

BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/08 18:06:37 (permalink)
i posted this over on Mikes thread also, lol...i forgot where i was when the urge to create a diagram came across me......

i think also mounting the pink board before filling in the holes with the sealant would be a good idea...... just in case the stainless tape isnt as permanent as i think it is, lol 

body filler would have a tendency to shrink away from the edges of the hole and possibly crack in a case like this.... vibrations from the road, and the truck itself would almost surely cause it to loosen up and show through the paint on outside (think "nail pop" in new sheet rock work).... 
the permanent adhesive sealant will actually stay bonded to all edges and areas of the hole, wont shrink, is immune to vibration, and actually gets stronger as it ages..... so on paper anyway, it seems like the perfect material to tackle this aspect of the project with........ unless someone knows different, and if so, please chime in and school me! 
post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/01/08 18:08:11
THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/08 21:15:50 (permalink)
well, I can't be doing that since my walls are already up, so I'm going to take some rounded screw heads, ( carriage bolts ) and spray them white and locktite them in place and pray they don't fall out. LOL  I've got about 30 holes I have to fill...  FML
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/08 22:05:16 (permalink)
My first thought was pop rivet it closed. But then I searched: how to fill a hole in aluminum

http://www.alvinproducts....ducts/Content.asp?id=2
Foundries / Metalcasting:
  • Lab-metal reduces costly rejects in foundry production.
  • Fill aluminum casting porosity spots with Lab-metal.
  • Repair gouged or worn core boxes with Hi-Temp Lab-metal.
  • Patch dents and rough spots on metal castings (aluminum & iron) with Lab-metal.
  • Fill blow holes, sand holes and metal surface defects with Lab-metal.
  • Repair or alter wood and metal patterns with Lab-metal.
  • Thin Lab-metal with Lab-solvent and brush or spray onto patterns to prevent warping and checking.
  • Brush or spray Lab-metal onto castings for a smooth, metallic finish prior to painting.
  • Lab-metal and Hi-Temp Lab-metal are used to fill seams or dents prior to powder coating.
  • Lab-metal is used to coat wood patterns for 300% higher abrasion resistance.
  • Lab-metal is paintable, rustproof, and water-resistant.
  • Lab-metal may be pigmented to darker shades of gray to match gray iron.  
    http://aluminumrepair.com...nbv4wa0CFXMBQAodoEUwBA

Anyone Can Repair Aluminum Quickly and Easily with HTS-2000 Brazing Rods

The Strongest, Fastest, and Easiest Aluminum Fabrication or Parts Repair.

Will it work for your job? YES!  This high-strength brazing rod allows you to repair or fabricate aluminum stronger than a Tig welding machine, without the machine. No welding aluminum needed! All you need to repair any metal stronger than new is a heat source (propane or mapp gas), a turbo tip, or oxy-acetylene, and our material. This new repair technology performs well on aluminum, cast aluminum, pot metal, copper, magnesium, and all white or porous metals. You can easily repair corroded or oil-impregnated areas that can be next to impossible to fix using welding machines with aluminum welding rods or other brazing products.
    • Saves you time – Repairs are fast and simple, brazing aluminum with our HTS-2000 or cast iron with our HTS-528 brazing rods .
    • Saves you money – Cheaper than welding machines or buying new or used parts.
    • Lets you do it yourself – Regardless of your experience anyone can easily learn how to braze aluminum.
    • Does the impossible! – Accomplishes many repairs even after a welder says it can't be done stronger than welding and even repairs oily or oxidized metals.
    And my last thought was you don't want those holes leaking in 6 months so pray what you choose today is long lasting.
    Good luck
  • BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/09 20:40:28 (permalink)
    im going to have to look into that, sounds like it may just do the trick....

i think i have another hood !!....just like the last one, from the same guy actually, going to wheel and deal on it tomorrow, apparently a small chain of country "hot lunch gas stations" went under and he just got around to tearing the other one down......
    he said it is the same size as the last one, so i will still have to cut it down an inch or so..... but that is a perfect hood for my little van...... 
    i may actually have to remove my back wall to get it in position, but hey, if its not one thing its another, lol
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/09 20:44:15 (permalink)
    and unless someone who knows better says STOP!! i am going to mount my fridge under the hood as well..... most of it will be under the equipment stand but will allow me to have all meats right at hand where the griddle is..... i will do up a diagram of what im saying... i think it will work, thats they way it was set up in the little diner i bought it from.... guy just lifted the top open, grabbed some meat, and right into the fryer or on the griddle it went.....
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/09 21:56:26 (permalink)
    i dunno, something like this......

i just have to try and get the most i can into the ever shrinking space known as my food truck, lol
    i think i was smoking crack when i drew this up........its now obsolete anyway
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/01/10 22:57:07
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/10 22:40:34 (permalink)
    its late..... im going to hate myself in the morning......

but it was for a good reason..... right now, out in the back of my truck is a hood/equipment stand combo unit just like what you see in waffle houses, only smaller :)
    I HAVE A HOOD !!!!!!!
    i passed on the roof vent, i just simply refuse to ride around with a giant mushroom/ice cream cone stuck on the roof.....i dont know why, but i just cant stomach the way it looks on a truck... a building yes, just not on a truck....
    of course, the red neck injun earring im going to have to pull off to make it work like i want will be EPIC!
    pics will follow tomorrow or maybe the next, its going to take me a day or two to recuperate from today, lol.....
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/10 22:54:48 (permalink)
    best part is....
    you guys remember the crazy stupid deal i got on the 220v deep fryer this past summer, and the 100 dollar ice cream freezer, well.... i i talked the guy into swapping me even up the freezer for the hood, and to get him to say yes, i agreed to throw in the deep fryer for 150 bucks !

so yes...went out today and wheeled and dealed on way home, got rid of a fryer i couldnt use, put money back in my pocket.... and brought home a hood and equipment stand basically for free :)
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/10 23:06:54 (permalink)
    crap....now im looking for a freezer again, lol
    no biggie, the HD was giving me grief over it anyway, since it started life as a good humor freezer they said it was only NSF for ice cream, but they would PROBABLY/POSSIBLY let me get started off with it, but they would give me a dead line to have a NSF meat freezer....... gotta love the HD
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 16:21:53 (permalink)
    heres pics..... i just love the custom 'fire axe" work for the gas lines previous owner did....i think i am just going to cut out squares around these with a plasma cutter and fill them in with a new pieces.....

then use one hole to run a pipe in and manifold off from there
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/01/11 16:23:21
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 16:26:00 (permalink)
    here is the actual hood, it has three long filters and spacers at each end..... im going to try and configure venting out the back of the hood on each end where the spacers are at and have 2 side vents out the back of van

BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 16:30:21 (permalink)
    here she is set up, i have measured and measured to make sure.... but yes, she will fit with no cutting or major surgery....
    the front feet will be removed so the front of base can sit directly on the wheel well, this will add 1 1/2" inches to the total height (rear feet will remain, but elongated somehow another 1 1/2")

i will have about a 6" gap between top of hood and ceiling

BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 16:33:30 (permalink)
    all this (plenum) will be coming off and patched, i think i can make two smaller exhaust fans, one at each end, and vent directly out the back.....
    and yes, she needs a good cleaning...... im glad now i didnt dust off the fryer or freezer before taking them over there, lol....

BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 17:02:03 (permalink)
    here is where i am right now on and exhaust system for the hood....
    this thing will be a glove like fit in the back, the rear of the hood will be directly against the rear wall so i should end up with about a 2" plenum coming out on either side of the rear of hood.... and then some sort of exhaust fan closure on the rear of van.......

BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 17:14:41 (permalink)
    this is the style of fan im looking at, this is a three speed model with chain switch, but that could easily be rewired....... this isnt the one i am considering, just an example of the style....

these plastic louvers wouldnt hold up very long i dont imagine, lol..... like i said, this is just example of style

and a shroud somewhat like this would be mounted over the fan on the exterior of the van..... i like this a lt better then the big mushroom up top

post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/01/11 17:18:35
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 17:23:09 (permalink)
    the above fan is a 12" model, and pulls 650 cfm on low, 800 med, 950 high.... i think for a 78" hood that should more then enough airflow...

if you really wanted to get crazy, and had a few extra dollars, two of these could give you 12 different air speeds to custom tune exactly what you need for varying conditions
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/01/11 18:16:29
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 18:01:41 (permalink)
    Awesome post one and all. So how are you going to clean your fan? I know it's done all the time but I have never watched the guys that due them so how do they keep from flooding the place and water out of the motors?
    Jack
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 18:12:12 (permalink)
    i wonder what could be done with a pair of these......
    this is a kitchen wall vent fan like what was used in practically every mobile home in the 50's and 60's and early to mid 70's
    its Ul listed for grease laden vapors and i would imagine fire proof 
    i found this one at vintagetrailersupply.com

BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 18:19:35 (permalink)
    well, according to the website, that motor is totally enclosed, im not sure if that means waterproof or not.... but if you remove the filters and spacers, spray some cleaner up in there and on the fan blades/shroud.....and then blow it out with hot soapy water...... part of my idea is going with nothing wood or fibrous so i can go in, and blast the whole thing out once a week or so with a small pressure washer ........

sounds good on paper anyway, lol
    i have never cleaned past the filters on a hood..... but have had my fair share of cleaning the filters and "pre filter" hood areas, lol
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/01/11 18:22:43
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 18:44:09 (permalink)
    think i found my fan..... this one is single speed 1500 cfm 
    i wonder if one fan from one side would pull more air from that side or if it would be a fairly even pull across the filters...... anyone have an idea ??

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hvac/exhaust-fans/exhaust-and-supply/10-exhaust-fan-shutter-mounted
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2012/01/11 18:58:21
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 18:55:56 (permalink)
    As long as they are evenly spaced they should draw the same. But that said if your pulling from a window to one side of your hood (rather than straight across) I'd bet .....but come to think of it what would it matter? Your still going to move plenty of air with two of them, so no big deal. The more I think about it I have no clue...... hell you need some of those streamers that they test cars with in the wind tunnels. LOL I can see it now.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 18:56:39 (permalink)
    That fan is awesome and the price is right also.
    BackAlleyBurger
    Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2012/01/11 18:59:58 (permalink)
    yep...i actually just found a 10" model, same as the 12' just smaller, i changed the link in the above post.... and its only 99 !
    Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1