OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE

Author
THE WILD DOG
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1465
2012/02/17 21:52:52 (permalink)

OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE

I tested my gas lines today, and I'm still here to type this so it went ok. I even fired up the griddle. Now my griddle I got at an auction and had it converted to LP professionally. Everything was checked out and it's all in great condition.  I fired it up for the first time today, when I turned the burners off the pilot light stays lit, When I turn a burner on, I hear a hissing sound and can feel heat coming out so I know it's on, esp when both burners are on. It was lit for about 5 mins and I noticed that burning fuel smell.  IS THIS NORMAL ?  I've never run a full propane griddle before...  + it didn't blow up while it was lit so I'm assuming everything would be ok... but I thought I'd run it by the forum.

11 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/17 23:04:18 (permalink)
    "burning fuel smell" like all the propane is not burning? Are all your  gas lines to the grill working are they all fired up? Can you look up from the bottom and see 2 rows of lighted area from them burning?  That's where I'd look first. Could be a pilot light isn't firing up one row on your grill. But if it was checked out by a professional I'd call them and ask if they'd come look at it. They should be able to tell you in a heartbeat what's wrong.

I kept smelling propane in my trailer after an event last fall and could not find the source, until I noticed I'd left my propane powered char-broiler supply line on and had  turned off all the control valves. But of course the pilot lights were still being supplied with propane and yet not lit. So they were just an open source of gas to the trailer. It's not as dangerous as you might think at first but it's still an expense that you don't want or need.

Call who ever you paid to convert it and ask them what's what. They may just give you the answer over the phone and then you can take care of it.

Or one other thought does your entire grill surface get hot? Or is one side way hotter than the other? That means one side is not lighted and the small increase in temp is from the other side heating. In other words you can get 300 degrees on one side and only 124 on the other, one side is working and the other is not. Not sure how to better explain that? LOL
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/02/18 09:40:04
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/18 05:47:14 (permalink)
    Fuel burning smell, if the propane is burning it will not smell.  Take a wiff of your propane to make sure you know what it smells like.  I suspect you may be smelling a coating that was applied to the griddle burning off.
    mikejames533
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/18 15:01:58 (permalink)
    Did you check your gas connections with a brush and soap/water mix for leaks? Gas can be deadly! When in doubt, be safe and get it checked out.
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/18 17:20:06 (permalink)
    They say to check for leaks with this method on copper pipe is ill advised. The soapy water will corrode the copper, turn it green, and eventually it will cause a leak.
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 761
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/18 19:27:25 (permalink)
    Just a thought.....
    As I was driving home tonight, I thought I smelled propane.When I got home I put a liter to a burner, and it ignited, then went out. Just leftover gas in the lines.
    A pilot will burn for a long time on that amount. FWIW........Jack
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/19 20:15:17 (permalink)
    yeah i know what propane smells like, all my connections have been tested. Actually it was the first time the griddle has been on in 3 months or so, It sat in the back of my SUV for a month before I could get it out. I did however make a mistake and paint the black iron before I tested them, but I'm sure the pressure would be great enough to break a paint seal if it was leaking. However everything tested fine and not one leak. The burners are both working, it's just a hissing sound like the gas is being used.. it's more of a  " SSSSSSS"  sound. The smell I smell is weird, it's like a spent fuel smell or like the smell a kerosene latern puts off as it burns. ( so to speak ) and there is def air flow pushing back b'c I can feel the heat coming from the trap shoot area where you push down the grease and stuff.. I didn't keep it on long enough to heat the griddle fully but It was getting hot. I need to clean the grill off, as it's got some rust on it from sitting for a bit, not alot but still needs to be cleaned

Inkys
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/20 02:55:29 (permalink)
    I bought a gas leak detector for about $100. Most of them have sensitivity settings so you can find even the smallest leak - far smaller than you will find with soap and water. They are quick and VERY easy to use. I know it "just another expense" but considering the risks, I feel it's well worth the price.
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/20 22:43:14 (permalink)
    agreed !! The alternative is not pleasing to me.. I'm gonna have to look into it
    qwertydvorak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/21 18:15:04 (permalink)
    "Now my griddle I got at an auction and had it converted to LP professionally."

I have a question about that.  Do you know what was involved in the conversion, and how much did that cost if you don't mind ?  I have been trying to decide if I am going to go with LP or CNG.  If I go with LP I am guessing I will have to have everything converted because most of the cheap used equipment on the market is natural gas.  I am hoping to go with CNG instead and not have to convert everything (we are supposed to get a self-serv CNG filling station here this spring).
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/21 23:45:10 (permalink)
    They changed out the orifice's and swapped the regulator behind the unit to an LP regulator, cost was about $380. CNG, are you stationary or mobile ?
    qwertydvorak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A FLAT TOP LP GRIDDLE 2012/02/22 18:48:45 (permalink)
    It will be mobile.  Our city is supposed to get a CNG pump for fleets and people who have CNG vehicles.  I was thinking of outfitting with CNG instead of LP to save the cost of changing over everything.  The CNG pump station will have 24 hour access with keycard and the location they are putting it will be convenient to my home.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1