Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
2011/03/18 15:21:15 (permalink)

Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements

Hey Everybody:

We all have them; local business, television ads.

For instance, here in Denver, we have some of the following:

"Dealin Doug", car salesman.  Your television can be at a decent decibal level and when he comes on you can hear the obnoxious ad from 3 rooms away.  In fact, rumour has it the FDA had to address this issue because of many complaints.

"Rockies Auto".  Silly actors with silly skits for used cars.

"Mattress King".  A young kid, whom we have watched grown through the years, presumably the kid of the owner of the local franchise.  Nice kid.  I used to feel sorry for him but I bet now he gets a lot of attention from the "ladies" now that he seems college age.  He says "Nobody beats the king, nobody".  (So does Dealin Doug by the way; as mentioned in another ad above).

"American Furniture Warehouse".  Jake Jabs.  These ads have been around forever.  Has wild animals and such lying around furniture.  Throughout the years, uses family members as actors.  There is a local joke around here we used to tell as kids.  "Why shouldn't you sit on a couch at American Furniture Warehouse"?  Answer:  "Because Jake "jabs".    I guess you have to be a local if you aren't laughing. 

"Good Times" (fast food drive-thru).  The guy's voice is really "nasal" and obnoxious.  More radio rather than television.

"Shane Company".  Tom Shane, the owner, very monotone radio voice.  Been around for years.

NOTE:  All companies listed are actually quite reputable around here.  Regardless of their marketing style, obviously, they make an impression.  After all, here I am posting a silly thread about the subject.

I'm just curious what local celebs/ads are indigenious in your neck of the woods?

32 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/18 15:59:01 (permalink)
    Anybody who spent any time in southern Wisconsin 20-30 years ago remembers Crazy TV Lenny for American TV.

Brad
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/18 16:09:44 (permalink)
    Hey Brad:

Thanks for the response.  That is entertaining.  I love nostalgic stuff like that; especially with a "local" twist.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/18 17:11:49 (permalink)
    Cal Worthington, In LA, car sales, don't know if he's still on, but in the 70's he had an add runnung that featured Cal and his dog "Spot", Spot was a different kind of animal from Aardvark to Zebra, and he wanted you to come see Spot. "Go see Cal Go see Cal Go see Cal". The man sold a kajillion cars. Likeable guy!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/18 17:45:47 (permalink)
    Years ago in Peoria we had a used car dealer named Paul Beard that always sponsored the late night movie on one of the local channels.  This TV station had a large area available for commercials, and Paul Beard would always bring a number of cars he had for sale with him to the studio, driven by his employees.  Paul Beard himself would do the commercials live, having the cars driven into the studio while he described each one's selling points.  When he was finished describing each car, his tag line (which I will never forget) was always, "Pull 'er right on thru!"  I am sure he is probably dead by now, but I will always remember him as "Pull-'er-right-on-thru"-Paul-Beard.  (I always wondered if he had his tag line put on his grave stone.)
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1309
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/18 23:34:33 (permalink)
    What gets me is commercials on cable shows for venues where there isn't one within 300+ miles (in one case, the nearest one is 400-500 miles away).

Bart

kennyb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/19 18:47:58 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Cal Worthington, In LA, car sales, don't know if he's still on, but in the 70's he had an add runnung that featured Cal and his dog "Spot", Spot was a different kind of animal from Aardvark to Zebra, and he wanted you to come see Spot. "Go see Cal Go see Cal Go see Cal". The man sold a kajillion cars. Likeable guy!

as soon as i saw this post i thought of cal. saw him on tv all the time in Anchorage back in the day.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/19 18:54:01 (permalink)
    Any Commercial that has Shyster Lawyers in it and we have a bunch of them in Phoenix. Any political ad during elections!
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/19 22:47:05 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Anybody who spent any time in southern Wisconsin 20-30 years ago remembers Crazy TV Lenny for American TV.

Brad

I don't remember Crazy Lenny but I damn sure remember the Inferno show when I was there from 1969-1971.Like the Milwaukee Journal says,anybody at the UW who wasn't totally passed out or making out on a Friday night was watching that show.The host was a guy named Mephisto who was totally off the wall.It was really outstanding for small market TV.
      I always thought the most famous (goofy) local Roadfood commercial was this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz1cee_94L4
    To tell the truth,I don't even know if this a real business or just a goof. Can any Oklahomans help?

post edited by Billfish - 2011/03/19 22:48:34
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/19 23:27:29 (permalink)
    In the NYC area, who can forget "Crazy Eddie"!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/20 00:25:15 (permalink)
    "To tell the truth,I don't even know if this a real business or just a goof. Can any Oklahomans help?"

I am not Oklahoman, but here is Mr. Spriggs BBQ website:
    http://www.spriggsbbq.com/
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/20 07:52:40 (permalink)
    Foodbme

In the NYC area, who can forget "Crazy Eddie"!

That was the first thing I thought of!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCGsqBn9pog
    post edited by agnesrob - 2011/03/20 07:55:14
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7834
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/20 11:43:27 (permalink)
    Having lived in several different parts of the country, I've had my share of obnoxious (and sometimes funny) commercials

Of course growing up in the  NYC the Crazy Eddie commercials came to mind first

When I moved to Seattle in the early 90's, the late Jack Roberts who retained his Wisconsin accent and touted his own appliance store  served as Seattle's version.

And while I was  in Pittsburgh I not only had to watch this guy, but had to deal with his law firm at work (he was already retired, living in Florida and just doing commercials at that point)

And here in Rhode Island these guys stand out- NI-RO-PE
    or Nick Ron and Pete- The Cardi Brothers and their Furniture store.

Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/20 23:16:04 (permalink)
    My first post, but I had to add this for the old(er) Los Angelino's, see if you remember this little ditty that was on radio AND TV for many many years.

"Stanley, Stanley, Stanley Chevrolet ...
    Four blocks off the Santa Ana Freeway ...
    One one nine eight oh east Firestone ...
    STANLEY Chevrolet."

Photto
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7889
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/20 23:43:55 (permalink)
    Then it became Dial, Dial, Dial Chevrolet,
    two blocks off the Santa Ana Freeway
    11980 East Firestone
    Dial Chevrolet

But yes, I remember Stanley.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 00:22:33 (permalink)
    Phottoman

My first post, but I had to add this for the old(er) Los Angelino's, see if you remember this little ditty that was on radio AND TV for many many years.

"Stanley, Stanley, Stanley Chevrolet ...
    Four blocks off the Santa Ana Freeway ...
    One one nine eight oh east Firestone ...
    STANLEY Chevrolet."

Photto

Where is Golden Valley AZ?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 08:54:45 (permalink)
    I'm a little surprised I didn't think of "the Menards guy" before now.  He doesn't make as many commercials as he used to but still seems to show up on TV once or twice a year.  I don't think I'd call him obnoxious, just really, really enthusiastic.

Brad
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2011/03/21 08:56:46
    Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 10:32:33 (permalink)
    Golden Valley, half way between Laughlin NV/Bullhead City AZ and Kingman.  If you have been to Las Vegas from US 66 (the Mother Road) you traveled north out of Kingman on State 93.  The first turn off 93 heading north is State Hwy 68 towards Laughlin/Bullhead and you pass through Golden Valley. 

We are about 90 miles South of Las Vegas, or 60 miles South of Boulder Dam.

Since it's about 25 miles in either direction to go shopping, we do NOT run to the store if we need milk or bread, we go shopping once a week, Indian Res for cigarettes, Safeway for dairy products, Wal*Mart for almost everything, then Sam's Club for the "Important" things.  If you forget something, you wait til next week and try to remember it then.

With two days off a week, and a 50 mile round trip in either directions, it's Monday in Kingman, and Tuesday in Bullhead City.

Photto
    post edited by Phottoman - 2011/03/21 10:35:18
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 11:58:25 (permalink)
    Phottoman,
    Thanx! for the info. Sounds like your so far from anything they have to pump sunshine in to you!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 13:19:27 (permalink)
    We have a guy here who has been pitching mattresses for what seems like a dozen years or more.  It's so affective that I don't remember the name of the business.

Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 19:07:05 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Phottoman,
    Thanx! for the info. Sounds like your so far from anything they have to pump sunshine in to you!

Actually we really have enough sunshine already.  There are times out here when the temp is in the high 110's / low 120's when we would gladly give up some of it to cooler places.  But let me tell ya, when it rains here, IT RAINS.  Arizona actually has what's called "The Stupid Law."  If a person gets caught in a road that is flooded and they need rescuing, they are actually charged the money it costs to rescue them plus a hefty fine.  And EVERY year, we have someone do it anyway, thinking they can cross that TWO FOOT running water across the roadway.

And it rained again last night and most of today.

Photto
    post edited by Phottoman - 2011/03/21 19:08:53
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 19:16:12 (permalink)
    Phottoman

Foodbme

Phottoman,

Actually we really have enough sunshine already.  There are times out here when the temp is in the high 110's / low 120's when we would gladly give up some of it to cooler places.  But let me tell ya, when it rains here, IT RAINS.  Arizona actually has what's called "The Stupid Law."  If a person gets caught in a road that is flooded and they need rescuing, they are actually charged the money it costs to rescue them plus a hefty fine.  And EVERY year, we have someone do it anyway, thinking they can cross that TWO FOOT running water across the roadway.

And it rained again last night and most of today.

Photto

The rain started here about 10:30 this AM. I'm sure we'll have some people succumb to The Stupid Law.
    As Ron White, the comedian, says "You Can't Fix Stupid!"" />
    Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/03/21 19:52:28 (permalink)
    Foodbme, I haven't been a member long enough yet to PM, but I think you would be a great person to chat with.  And your only three years older than I.  Love that you're here in AZ (just noticed that) and I'm building my own EZ cart, looking for hints.

Photto
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/08/22 18:32:11 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Any Commercial that has Shyster Lawyers in it and we have a bunch of them in Phoenix. Any political ad during elections!

We have one here in the cincy area that has SUCH A HORRIBLE comb over my mom always says every time she sees one of his commericals "Why would anyone want to have him as your lawyers, I'd be laughing all through the courtroom"
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1597
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/08/22 23:38:22 (permalink)
    There a guy who has a furniture store in either Elizabeth or Linden NJ who has been on local cable for years, his commercials turn up and then disappear for months at a time.  We call him "The Guy With The Arms" for the way he rotates his two arms in opposite directions in windmill fasion as he yells about the current specials.

I wish:
    1) I knew what the name of the store was (so much for effective advertising) 
    2) I could find it on You Tube 
    3) I will someday get it on tape or DVD.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/08/23 00:14:24 (permalink)
    Could it have been Martin Fine Furniture?
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=martin+fine+furniture&aq=f

These have to be the worst commercials I've ever seen!

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/08/23 09:40:53 (permalink)
    I don't think so...in the "many hats" commercial I think he says that Martin Fine is in Indianapolis.  And I didn't see the arms!

Brad
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1597
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/08/23 10:01:29 (permalink)
    <<Could it have been Martin Fine Furniture?
    No, but you helped me find the guy I was looking for. I started jumping around to the links on the video you posted and found it.
    Thanks!

So, Let's take a virtual visit to the Furniture Gallery, Linden NJ:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArlPxv20MBU

This must be an earlier commercial, in later comercials he's got both arms going.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/08/23 12:00:18 (permalink)
    He looks (and kind of sounds) like Fred Thompson on a speed binge...

Brad
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Obnoxious Local (regional) Television Advertisements 2011/08/23 12:34:52 (permalink)
    In Central New York two local commercial providers get me running for the remote.
    A) Fucillo Car Dealers...where everything is "HUUUUUGGGGE"
    B) The 'Heavy Hitters'; two smarmy lawyers in a corny series of green screen commercials. They are apparently a franchise as other firms in Albany and Western NY use the same ones. They come complete with a gagging jingle...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1